Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Overboard! Amistad

Posted By: Captain Chunk

Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/16/18 11:19 PM

Well, finally happened. Had a rod go over the side and there was no saving her. If anybody happens to catch a Dobyns 795 with a Shimano Calcutta 200 and 3:16 swimbait tied on, it’s mine. You are more than welcome to keep it. I have the coordinates and if anybody is interested in recovering it I’ll pull them. Not even mad about it. Actually found it kinda funny.
Posted By: basshc

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 12:06 AM

Man I hate that!
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 12:12 AM

I lost one the other day.
A 1 ounce weight and treble hook and about 50 cast brought it back into the boat
Posted By: GizmosMom

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 12:57 AM

I lost a rod overboard in May of 2009. The following week we went there to find it. Nuthin'!

Then fished nearby and I caught my personal best....11.4! Almost forgot the pain of losing the rod and reel.

The following night my husband caught a 12.00!

You just never know!
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 01:13 AM

Atleast it wasnt a high dollar ugly stick !!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 01:18 AM

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. But while we're on the subject I fish Amistad about once a month when I visit my in-laws. Coordinates would be great.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 01:09 PM

How deep of water were you in?
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 01:31 PM

I lost a brand new Powell rod a few years back on Falcon, first time I used it. Been lucky and haven't throw anything over the side in a while.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 02:51 PM

got real lucky on falcon several years ago...back when water was high,we were flipping way back in the deep brush...one of those deals where you were always brushing up against the bushes one or both sides of the boat so you couldn't let any rod tip or bait hang over the side or it would get caught on something and drug out of the boat...one morning my buddy reached down to change flipping sticks and realized his rod was missing.
.what happened was his rod had got drug out of the boat and we hadn't noticed it.fortunately we could remember our route through that particular area and after we had gone back about a 100 yards,I just happened to notice about 2 inches of his rod tip hanging under a bush-remainder of rod was under water...and there was just enough of his hook sticking through the lizard he was fishing with to hang in a bush as we passed and hold the rod enough to keep it from sinking...
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service
I lost one the other day.
A 1 ounce weight and treble hook and about 50 cast brought it back into the boat

I lost one on Falcon and recovered it the exact same way.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 03:55 PM

I've lost 2 on Squaw fishing for hybrids w/minnows......
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 04:28 PM

A cheap wal mart chain stringer with a bunch of rope works great.
open all the clips and start chunking in the area you lost it.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: GizmosMom
I lost a rod overboard in May of 2009. The following week we went there to find it. Nuthin'!

Then fished nearby and I caught my personal best....11.4! Almost forgot the pain of losing the rod and reel.

The following night my husband caught a 12.00!

You just never know!

Let me know if you ever decide to resume the search. I'd be happy to join the search party!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rod Overboard! Amistad - 03/17/18 08:06 PM

Tossed one of mine into my cement pond in 8.5' of water. The reason they are so hard to snag is they stand almost straight up & down on the bottom. Reel down, tip Up. Makes small target!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum