Texas Fishing Forum

"Snot" Grass

Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

"Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 07:08 PM

I'm not sure what the real name for it is, but I think you all know what I'm talking about. (Kind of like wet hair, extremely difficult to remove from a bait) Anyways, I've always hated it and NEVER caught any fish around it. I fished LBJ yesterday and could not believe how much of it was in that lake, I've never seen it so prevalent. Absolutely could not fish anything slow because its not like hydrilla where you can shake it off a plastic or jig. Has anyone ever caught fish around it? And is there anyway to fish slow baits in it that I don't know about?? (I'm not a drop shotter) That grass cost me to not fish a lot of areas that I felt looked really promising based off of map study. Extremely frustrating stuff...
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 07:12 PM

I have found the same thing out there. Very frustrating. Never seen it that thick anywhere in the state.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 07:20 PM

It's common in the north. The name I have for it is not kosher to share.

It's a real pain. I've caught fish around it plenty of times, but a large percentage of your casts get fouled which obviously dramatically drops your catch rates.
Posted By: tricky

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 08:11 PM

You talkin about Witch hair?
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 08:16 PM

Filamentous Algae
Posted By: adam_p

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler
(I'm not a drop shotter)

That's your problem
Posted By: basshc

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 08:36 PM

Your right it’s snot grass and it sucks they say it’s from all the yard chemicalsot real sure.I live on Buck and we got no snot grass.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 09:10 PM

If it is black, it is the same stuff that is common on Monticello everywhere the water is less than 8' deep. And yes, I have caught a zillion fish around it.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/16/18 09:46 PM

Yeah it covers just about the entire bottom of LBJ. So much that you have to fish that lake much different than you would without it.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 01:30 AM

Yeah LBJ is the worst lake in Central Texas when it comes to snot grass. It makes it very challenging to fish
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
Originally Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler
(I'm not a drop shotter)

That's your problem
Agreed
Posted By: 1961Yaloo

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 02:41 AM

TT Go to a weightless lizard or brush hog. That will help you. Of course with all the traffic down there this weekend it will be fun trying to fish. Good luck.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 1961Yaloo
TT Go to a weightless lizard or brush hog. That will help you. Of course with all the traffic down there this weekend it will be fun trying to fish. Good luck.

Fished it yesterday, holy cow, I think I got sea sick with all the boat wakes! It was a mess out there, should have picked a different lake. Plenty of bass boats too, must be a tourny today.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 02:13 PM

A fishing buddy of mine calls it "Gorilla Snot".
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/17/18 04:16 PM

I've caught a lot of fish around snot grass. Usually from a small, round clearing in it. cool
Posted By: wtf242

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/18/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Originally Posted By: 1961Yaloo

Fished it yesterday, holy cow, I think I got sea sick with all the boat wakes! It was a mess out there, should have picked a different lake. Plenty of bass boats too, must be a tourny today.

most people in central texas area today were fishing TTZ on travis
Posted By: Phototex

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/19/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Lucky Al
Filamentous Algae

This.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/19/18 03:03 PM

You gotta learn how to fish around it because there are places where it's prevalent that hold fish. Drop down to the lightest weight possible or fish your bait weightless. Or fish a swim jig above it. I've learned on that lake that the fish will still spawn in it as it's easy for them to brush it away. So they don't mind it. It's frustrating picking it off but you do what you gotta do.
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/19/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
You gotta learn how to fish around it because there are places where it's prevalent that hold fish. Drop down to the lightest weight possible or fish your bait weightless. Or fish a swim jig above it. I've learned on that lake that the fish will still spawn in it as it's easy for them to brush it away. So they don't mind it. It's frustrating picking it off but you do what you gotta do.

I was throwing a 1/8 oz tungsten which was the lightest I could get away with in the wind I was fishing in, just felt like I couldn't move the bait a foot without it becoming a ball of the stuff. And for some reason I couldn't get em to touch a moving bait to save my life. Good point about spawning in it though. I ended up having a decent day but I wanna get back out there and really try and figure it out.
Posted By: Tyler

Re: "Snot" Grass - 03/19/18 05:25 PM

I've been fishing LBJ for almost 15 years now, and this year is the worst I've seen it. They stock grass carp to control the grass we like, why can't they stock tilapia that would feed on this stuff?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum