Texas Fishing Forum

New boat with biggest Rear deck

Posted By: Hollywood1982

New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 02:27 PM

Hey guys I am really starting to think about getting a new rig. The biggest thing for me is the rear deck space. I know odd thing to look for but I take my farther fishing with me all the time and he has Parkinson. Right now I have a Ranger 185VX and I hardly use it since I feel more comfortable taking him out in a hobie kayak then him in the ranger. Havent had any problems yet in the ranger but there has been some close calls. So I want the biggest rear deck so just in case does fall there less of a chance of him going over board. Right now Falcon F215 is leading out of what I have looked at. There rear deck is 51"L 85"W. Now they are one of the few manufacturers that list the size of the rear deck. So if you think your boat has a big back deck let me know. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 02:45 PM

As someone who fishes off the back, the new Phoenix boats have a huge back deck.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 02:47 PM

I would say that most brands nowadays have wide back decks. I know BassCat has narrower back decks on some models but they even have a few models now with wide back decks. Just go to each manufacturer's website and see who has the widest back deck.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:01 PM

Depending on your father's age & condition, the challenge for him will not be fishing off the back deck, it will be him getting up onto the back deck. I take a gentleman fishing every year that is fine once he gets up on the back deck but he needs assistance getting up there.

You may want to consider that.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:02 PM

Thanks yall. I wished ranger still sold the z522. Now there Z522D is hybrid boat.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:07 PM

Yeah he is the same. But he refuses to say anything when he gets up to go the bathroom. Thank god for the talons on my rig now. And by lunch time he is leaning hard to one side of seat. Thats another thing i want to see about is getting a "captains" chair for the rear so he has arm rest to hold him if his meds are not doing the trick that day.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:32 PM

The phoenix is big plus the have nice step pads on the back that are great for using the bathroom. No more slippery boat to stand on. I can measure mine when I get home.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:39 PM

That be great Skipper thanks.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hollywood1982
Yeah he is the same. But he refuses to say anything when he gets up to go the bathroom. Thank god for the talons on my rig now. And by lunch time he is leaning hard to one side of seat. Thats another thing i want to see about is getting a "captains" chair for the rear so he has arm rest to hold him if his meds are not doing the trick that day.

You can definitely get a captains chair for the back. You can order any seat you want.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:43 PM

Why not buy a center console?? It's a lot hard to fall out of one.
Posted By: 361V

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Depending on your father's age & condition, the challenge for him will not be fishing off the back deck, it will be him getting up onto the back deck. I take a gentleman fishing every year that is fine once he gets up on the back deck but he needs assistance getting up there.

You may want to consider that.
Bingo! Because I'm an old man now, my dad is real old :-). I'm blessed with still being able to take my 83 year old father fishing but what's quickly becoming the limiting factor is getting from the running seat up onto the rear deck. When I'm fishing with him I often stay in an unproductive area way longer(no run and gun fishing) just because what a chore it's become for him to keep jumping up and down onto that rear deck. And if I go somewhere without a courtesy dock? That front deck on a beached boat seems like its a mile up there when getting him in the boat. Kudos to you for trying to make a change to include his needs! thumb

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:48 PM

I just went out and measured my FX21 and the back deck was 77" (6'5") at the widest part (behind the seats). And to maybe make you feel more comfortable about your father fishing on the back deck, I've fished from the back deck of my boat and I had plenty of room. I'm 6"3", 330 pounds too. Granted, I'm not as old, but it's still something to consider. I can stand on the back corner of the deck and that boat won't rock at all. Skeeter's are super stable. That's something you'll have to consider as well; the boat rocking back and forth when standing up or moving around.

Hope this helps you out a little bit.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 03:52 PM

Here are the Phoenix Rear dimensions, I have a 619 and the rear deck is pretty roomy when you are back there. Something to consider is getting a pedestal mount in the floor, I added that option mostly to store the seat when trailering but have used it when fishing 3 people before. It would keep him from having to get up to the back deck on bad days at least. Only thing is if you have a dual console it probably wouldn't work.

921/920/721
78"x52"

619/719/819/919
78"x48"

76"x39"
Posted By: Matt Wilson

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 04:16 PM

A friend of a friend has a 22' ranger and Ive ever seen a back deck that big in my life, heck the rear box lids look like rod locker lids. mini aircraft carrier
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 05:17 PM

Well my partner can completely stretch out and fall asleep on the back of the Phoenix 921 pro xp. I do think most brands in the 21-22' range are going to have pretty big back decks.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 05:32 PM

Yep I agree the Z522 is the biggest by far and they new 522D is same size on back but the added length to it to make it 22'7" it is deeper but could still be used for bass fishing. My 921 Phoenix is not as big but it is plenty big enough for anyone to fish out of. The 921 has a great ride also.
Posted By: Blake's Boats

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 05:32 PM

Look at the Charger 797. I believe the rear deck is 57x80

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah I just landed in Minnesota so once I get to the hotel yall have given me plenty of boat ideals to keep me busy. Keep them coming.
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 08:09 PM

Legend V20 and V21...
Posted By: BassMan5000

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 08:40 PM

I have an Express x19..Front and back seem huge to me..My friends all tease me about my boat..They say she has a Fat [censored] becuase it's so wide in the back. It does catch the wind some but I will take he trade off.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/14/18 09:16 PM

How stability on the legends? I love how those boats look but by there design they look like they would swing as you move around the boat.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/15/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Why not buy a center console?? It's a lot hard to fall out of one.

That would be my choice if I was in your situation.

Re: New boat with biggest Rear deck - 03/15/18 02:28 AM

Yeah I hear ya I just dont see myself getting a center. Right now I fish in kayak tournament but after fishing Bass Pro Shop Big Bass a couple of weeks ago I really starting to think about doing team tournaments out of the boat next year.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum