Texas Fishing Forum

Bleeding fish

Posted By: T 4 FISH

Bleeding fish - 03/12/18 11:09 PM

I have read where sprite or Mountain Dew can stop the bleeding on a fish. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it sprite or MD? Does it work? Thanks
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/12/18 11:16 PM

Fish blood clots in water. Putting them in the water will usually stop the bleeding. The faster you stop it the better their chance of survival. The “Mountain Dew” trick supposedly has two qualities, the water clots and the citric acid does something else.

Get it clotted or release the fish quickly and the majority of deep hooked fish will survive. I have gotten away from “cut it off and leave it” because my last two that were hooked in the gullet died in the livewell. When I have removed the hook even though they bled pretty bad, they survived the rest of the day.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/12/18 11:24 PM

I've heard that Sprite works but I've never personally tried it. I just try to get them back into the water as fast as possible.
Posted By: acbrown1977

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 12:00 AM

Must be something to do with the acidity..
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 01:40 AM

I did it with a 7up on a deep hooked bass before. Stopped the bleeding, can't say for sure it saved it as it was only about 20 minutes before we weighed em in, it was alive at that point however.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 12:31 PM

They say the citric acid in soda will cauterize the wound. I just sprinkle some please release me on their gill (or whatever is bleeding) and get them in the water asap. Usually does the trick.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 01:55 PM

You want to wake them up right?

Posted By: MMosher

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 02:06 PM

Mt. Dew will stop the bleeding instantly. Done it many times. Always keep a bottle in the boat.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 02:09 PM

G-JUICE, the blue liquid live well treatment, works great.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 02:29 PM

I run a little sure life on the spot but if you go thru the gill to remove deep hooks it will surprise you how much better the fish will be. Some will still bleed a little but not that bad at all and much less damage removing the hook. The only problem I have with fish dying is tounge hooked fish. That's just a death sentence
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 04:01 PM

I just dump some sure life in there mouth or whatever is bleeding that stuff is pretty good
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 04:16 PM

I keep some sprite in the boat because I heard the same. It seemed to help stop bleeding the couple times I used it but I don't know if it does any better than sprinkling some livewell treatment over the wound or putting them back in the water untreated. For what it's worth, the two times I used it the wounded fish survived the weigh-in and were released alive.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 06:42 PM

SureLife's Please Release Me. the Catch and Release product is more of a calming product whereas PRM has more medicating ingredients. all the others are just methelyne blue just like at petco.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 07:31 PM

Cold water is the best. Put ice in your livewell. Cold slows down the heart rate and constricts the blood vessels. Research has shown calcium salts increase calcium in the blood which in turn increase the coagulability of the blood. Citric acid will decrease the amount of calcium in the blood and therefore decrease the coagulability of the blood. Other products mentioned do not truly affect blood clotting. Remember, All bleeding will eventually stop.
Posted By: 521Rangerman

Re: Bleeding fish - 03/13/18 10:03 PM

Mountain Dew or 7 up works great.Trust me it works.They end up more lively than the other fish.
Had one I thought for sure wouldn't make it but he did.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum