Texas Fishing Forum

Best Replicas of Bass

Posted By: Fishingfox

Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 03:15 AM

Who makes the best replicas of big bass here in Texas?
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 03:21 AM

Fishmounter seems to have some good looking fish! Lake Fork will come up a lot.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 03:29 AM

Bryan Russell (904)-716-7048 Does EXCELLENT work! He has done several for me and they are simply outstanding! cheers
Posted By: hoodat92

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 03:33 AM

fox,

I asked the same question on here a few weeks ago, I wanted a replica made of my PB that was as close to actual size and color as I could get. I ended up going with Bev's Fish Creations due to many endorsement's from TFFers. I had problems with Lake Fork Taxidermy getting back with me, almost like they didn't want my business. Also, there were some that recommended Ron Kelly, but there is too much controversy surrounding him for people not getting their mounts back, that sort of thing, so I steered clear. Bev was fair in price, I got to choose the exact replica I wanted (I think she has about 100 Largemouth Molds), and sent a picture of my fish for the airbrushing. Her turnaround is 4-6 weeks. I should have the replica in another week or so and I'll let you know how it turned out.

Hope this helps
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 04:34 AM

I used lake fork taxidermy once before and would not recommended them.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 10:31 AM

Bryan Russell aka Fish Mounter! Excellent. woot
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 01:18 PM

My vote is on FishMounter. For an actual replica, the size, shape, color, fins and markings were right on.
Posted By: Fishmounter

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 01:45 PM

Do your homework based on the quality you are seeking.
"If you have to live with it, it better be good".
I've been doing this for 43 years. If someone get things done in a few weeks they're either not busy or in a rush.
Quality takes time and effort.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: hoodat92
fox,

I asked the same question on here a few weeks ago, I wanted a replica made of my PB that was as close to actual size and color as I could get. I ended up going with Bev's Fish Creations due to many endorsement's from TFFers. I had problems with Lake Fork Taxidermy getting back with me, almost like they didn't want my business. Also, there were some that recommended Ron Kelly, but there is too much controversy surrounding him for people not getting their mounts back, that sort of thing, so I steered clear. Bev was fair in price, I got to choose the exact replica I wanted (I think she has about 100 Largemouth Molds), and sent a picture of my fish for the airbrushing. Her turnaround is 4-6 weeks. I should have the replica in another week or so and I'll let you know how it turned out.

Hope this helps

Please do report back on Bev. I may have been one who recommended her. I’ve never had a mount worthy fish but I’ve seen her work and I think it’s awesome so I would like some validation on my recommendation.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 05:06 PM

Lake Fork Taxidermy
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 07:33 PM

This guy isn't in Texas, but he's close. He is in Alexandria, LA.

Scottie's Reproductions
(318) 466-3317

He does all of the replicas for the Toledo Bend Lake Association Lunker program and is also the official taxidermist for The Louisiana Sharelunker Program. He does good work. He has pictures of his work on his Facebook page ---> https://www.facebook.com/Scotties-Reproductions-1657138537850844/?ref=br_rs
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 07:39 PM

I use LFT. Bev does some good work. She was taught by one of the best painters in the business, her ex Ron Kelly. At least I think that's correct.

A replica is a replica. It's all about the paint jobs to me and Ron Kelly and the Pierce brothers do the best paint jobs I've ever seen.

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 07:43 PM

fyi, those of you who know Lake Fork Taxidermy probably knew Charlene, the office manager. Well, she flaked out and left the office, orders, etc. in a mess. Jason and Clayton are doing their best to get her messes cleaned up and get back to the type of customer service many of us have come to expect from them. So please be patient with them. I can give you Jason's personal cell# if you have something pressing. Just PM me.
Posted By: Fishmounter

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I use LFT. Bev does some good work. She was taught by one of the best painters in the business, her ex Ron Kelly. At least I think that's correct.

A replica is a replica. It's all about the paint jobs to me and Ron Kelly and the Pierce brothers do the best paint jobs I've ever seen.

I would respectfully disagree that a replica is a replica. Molding detail clear fins fully casted mouth interior and handmade eyes are not available from just anyone.
I always say "do your homework"
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/12/18 09:54 PM

I too will sing the praises of Lake Fork Taxidermy. I have had two done by them and both are outstanding. I did not know about Charlene, I dealt with her both times and had zero issues. The last one was back in 2015.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/13/18 12:23 AM

Lake Fork Taxidermy is really good but there is a lady name Debbie Byrd at Smart Buck Taxidermy near Greenville/Cambell that did two for me and they are second to none.She does great table mounts and the detail is outstanding.

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/13/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishmounter

I would respectfully disagree that a replica is a replica. Molding detail clear fins fully casted mouth interior and handmade eyes are not available from just anyone.
I always say "do your homework"

The largemouth bass replicas I've had done by LFT and Ron Kelly are second to none. After all, they've been on the banks of Lake Fork where collection of fish for molds has been ongoing since the 80's.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 02:49 AM

A little history for you guys. Ron Kelly was (the) one of the pioneers in fish replicas and started here on Lake Fork. His painting skills are unmatched. He hired a young guy named Jason Pierce and eventually Jason's brother Clayton. He taught them the trade. Things changed and Jason and Clayton went out on there own and Rom moved his shop to Emory. Ron and his wife Bev split and he moved to Rockwall. Bev opened a shop at his old location.

All of them do good work, I know them all personally and don't have anything negative to say about any of them.
But as with any trade, ask a lot of questions, get feedback from other customers and look at their work.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishmounter
Do your homework based on the quality you are seeking.
"If you have to live with it, it better be good".
I've been doing this for 43 years. If someone get things done in a few weeks they're either not busy or in a rush.
Quality takes time and effort.

Those on your website are some of the best largemouth replicas I have ever seen.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkLodge
A little history for you guys. Ron Kelly was (the) one of the pioneers in fish replicas and started here on Lake Fork. His painting skills are unmatched. He hired a young guy named Jason Pierce and eventually Jason's brother Clayton. He taught them the trade. Things changed and Jason and Clayton went out on there own and Rom moved his shop to Emory. Ron and his wife Bev split and he moved to Rockwall. Bev opened a shop at his old location.

All of them do good work, I know them all personally and don't have anything negative to say about any of them.
But as with any trade, ask a lot of questions, get feedback from other customers and look at their work.

I've used The Pierce Bros and Ron Kelly. All three are very good. Would use any of them again.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 09:33 PM

^^^^this^^^^
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 09:38 PM

Ron Kelly did this live mount for me in 1993 that weighed 14.19 ( it died in the Lunker Lodge aquarium ) and still looks new. Not familiar with replicas but chances are he used this one to make molds with. He would be my choice.

Posted By: Chris G

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 09:54 PM

I have always loved how heated these replica debates get. I had a similar story with LFT as some others have stated. VERY nice people, GREAT service but to me the fish just didn't look like what I had caught. Then I had my first DD done by a guy out of Waco that is now out of business because apparently he was horrible at communications with some others. The replica he produced is in a completely different class despite what I got from LFT being a good quality product from some good people. This has tons of details in the scales, all fins and just looks like a real bass pulled out of the lake to me and these pics don't do it justice. Fishmounter's work is the closest I've seen to this work so far.

Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/14/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
I have always loved how heated these replica debates get. I had a similar story with LFT as some others have stated. VERY nice people, GREAT service but to me the fish just didn't look like what I had caught. Then I had my first DD done by a guy out of Waco that is now out of business because apparently he was horrible at communications with some others. The replica he produced is in a completely different class despite what I got from LFT being a good quality product from some good people. This has tons of details in the scales, all fins and just looks like a real bass pulled out of the lake to me and these pics don't do it justice. Fishmounter's work is the closest I've seen to this work so far.

Great looking fish Chris!

Kevin from Waco did mine too. I had just the opposite experience of what others had with him. He had my fish to me in 60 days from the day I called him. Looks just like yours. Excellent detail and very realistic.
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/15/18 01:33 AM

I have had 3 Sharelunker replicas done. 2 were done by Ron Kelly, and the other was done by Lake Fork Taxidermy. I had the 3rd one redone by Ron Kelley.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/15/18 02:49 AM

I'd use this guy...

Posted By: Chris G

Re: Best Replicas of Bass - 03/15/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Great looking fish Chris!

Kevin from Waco did mine too. I had just the opposite experience of what others had with him. He had my fish to me in 60 days from the day I called him. Looks just like yours. Excellent detail and very realistic.

Me too. It's why I came to his defense on a post a couple of years ago. He was great at letting me know where things stood but I also left him alone to work his magic. I got mine in like 3 months when I told him it was ok if it took 5+. He's now back to air brushing custom motor cycles was the last I heard.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum