Texas Fishing Forum

More break offs when bed fishing

Posted By: Chris_K

More break offs when bed fishing - 03/11/18 10:38 PM

Ths Last 2 fish I have broken off were bed fish. 1 today, 2 last year. With none in between I feel like it isn’t an equipment or knot issue. I don’t think it’s size related either. Fresh 20lb sunline sniper FC on a 7ft md hvy rod.. Are you more likely to break em off when sight fishing due to having less line out? Any other theories? I’ll be spooling 50lb braid tonight.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/11/18 10:52 PM

less one more it leaves,less,room for stretch. May be worse with braid. Most of my break offs on hook set have been with less than 10 yards out.
Posted By: heb-bass

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/11/18 10:52 PM

Braid....done.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/11/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Ths Last 2 fish I have broken off were bed fish. 1 today, 2 last year. With none in between I feel like it isn’t an equipment or knot issue. I don’t think it’s size related either. Fresh 20lb sunline sniper FC on a 7ft md hvy rod.. Are you more likely to break em off when sight fishing due to having less line out? Any other theories? I’ll be spooling 50lb braid tonight.

Yes sir you are much more likely to break them off when you are looking at them.

Two reasons:

1. Adrenaline when you see the bite
2. Not much line between you & them to absorb the shock

Braid will certainly lessen the chance of break offs but all you really have to do is adjust your hookset to a sweep set.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:08 AM

first need to know where you are bed fishing at? asking for research... popcorn

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
first need to know where you are bed fishing at? asking for research... popcorn

nannyboo
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:50 AM

If you're breaking off on hooksets, find the right rod to absorb it. I wouldn't change the way you set the hook, Id get a dedicated rod to sight fish.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:52 AM

set your drag on your reel appropriately. 1/3 the breaking strength rating of your line.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:58 AM

The reason Sunline casts easier and has less memory is it's thinner. It's just simple physics. I like Sunline, but it's not nearly as shock resistant as a few other lines.

Gamma Edge is the strongest fluorocarbon line made, IMO

Posted By: buggsboy

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 01:09 AM

Maybe try 20 lb test McCoy Mean Green.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 01:12 AM

Everyone wants to flip with a hvy action xtra fast rod. I was recently reading where Greg Hackney has migrated to a med hvy action moderate fast tip. That’s “very bendy” in most people’s mind. This rod will absorb the shock as Jaret mentioned.

I’d try that first and see what you think. You’ll soon make it your pitching rod whether you’re looking at them or not.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Everyone wants to flip with a hvy action xtra fast rod. I was recently reading where Greg Hackney has migrated to a hvy action moderate fast tip. That’s “very bendy” in most people’s mind. This rod will absorb the shock as Jared mentioned.

I’d try that first and see what you think. You’ll soon make it your pitching rod whether you’re looking at them or not.

This ^^^^^^

not much line out to stretch so it breaks change rods problem solved. I wouldn't change line or hook set.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 01:46 AM

I’m actually only using a 1/4 oz weight, so I’m using a med heavy/ fast rod. Surely it isn’t too stiff.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
I’m actually only using a 1/4 oz weight, so I’m using a med heavy/ fast rod. Surely it isn’t too stiff.

Even a MH rod will snap your line if you do a Gorilla-Hookset on a fish up close & personal. I will assume it is a good fish or you wouldn't be throwing at her. When a biggun takes a soft plastic bait it goes to the back of the fish's throat.

When you set the hook the line instantly goes tight against her teeth. That's what causes your line to break on the hookset when you are right on top of the fish.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 11:59 AM

I normally use 25# p-line on my broomstick this time of year but got caught with 20# Saturday. I broke off an 8+ three times Saturday. I've never had that happen before. If someone catches a bass with three jigs in her mouth I will pay the shipping if you would return them please.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:12 PM

I know its a dirty word, but another option might be mono. A lot more stretch. Much less visible than braid which helps on beds.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted By: K.D.
Everyone wants to flip with a hvy action xtra fast rod. I was recently reading where Greg Hackney has migrated to a hvy action moderate fast tip. That’s “very bendy” in most people’s mind. This rod will absorb the shock as Jared mentioned.

This ^^^^^^

not much line out to stretch so it breaks change rods problem solved. I wouldn't change line or hook set.

Did anyone else notice that when 921 Phoenix quoted K.D. regarding Greg Hackney's change to using a medium heavy rod . . . that the quote morphed to a hvy action?

Does TFF's quote utility somehow abbreviate or abridge quoted material? In this case, it actually changed the outcome of the intent of the original post.

Brad
Posted By: K.D.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 01:45 PM

I was editing my post while he was making the quote. My intent is how it now reads.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
I normally use 25# p-line on my broomstick this time of year but got caught with 20# Saturday. I broke off an 8+ three times Saturday. I've never had that happen before. If someone catches a bass with three jigs in her mouth I will pay the shipping if you would return them please.

If you have a fish that will eat 3 times on a jig and 20# it will certainly eat with 65lb braid. That's what I use 90% of the time unless they are weird and I need 15# fluoro
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 02:46 PM

Bad line or your knot. But most likely your knot. Ive been using 16 lbs. Sniper for years and rarely ever break fish off bed fishing. Stick with the Medium Heavy rod. But the very few times I have broken off, its always been my knot.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

If you have a fish that will eat 3 times on a jig and 20# it will certainly eat with 65lb braid. That's what I use 90% of the time unless they are weird and I need 15# fluoro

+1

If your fish ate a jig 3 times she would have bit it on 1/4" nylon rope! thumb
Posted By: fouzman

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 02:53 PM

That's why I sight fish with braid only!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 03:04 PM

Back off a bit on your drag and check your knots>
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 03:05 PM

Hooks are pretty sharp these days, don't be a hero.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 03:27 PM

In my experience you don't need to jack 'em. You're so close that you just need to reel into them. I've gone down to 10 pound test before in ultra clear water and landed quite a few big fish. Set your drag accordingly too.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 03:45 PM

If line, hook or rod doesn't give and the fish is too heavy to move, you'll rip the fish's mouth on a hard, close range hookset making it easier for the fish to jump off.
Posted By: Mark Wendler

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 09:15 PM

Rather than going lighter on the power, try a Moderate action rod that has more "give" deeper into the blank. This will help absorb the initial hookset, while still providing the power to move the fish from cover.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
set your drag on your reel appropriately. 1/3 the breaking strength rating of your line.

This!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I hadn't broke off a fish in years. I only had a couple rods with me fishing in Buda's boat and didn't expect to find bedfish. She was in some brush that kept cutting my line.

Re: More break offs when bed fishing - 03/12/18 10:17 PM

Well that's different! Haha in brush compared to just breaking off on a fish in an open bed. Apples to oranges
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum