Texas Fishing Forum

New Graph! Which one??

Posted By: Strait1277

New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:39 PM

Looking at an HDS 9 Gen 3 and an HDS 9 Carbon Insight. HUGE price difference! Which one and why? Pros and Cons. Help me out here. Suggestions please.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:40 PM

Humminbird Helix Mega.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:41 PM

I'd go with a 70 inch...
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:52 PM

I would talk to Shutupandfish on here,.. send him a PM.
Posted By: Walls

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Humminbird Helix Mega.

What he said.......and I currently run Lowrance. bang
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 5X3Phoenix
Humminbird Helix Mega.

What he said.......and I currently run Lowrance. bang

I do too! haha crying
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/09/18 07:58 PM

Neither...Look into the Raymarines
Posted By: pil,b

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 12:57 AM

Bird
Posted By: lucky55

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:07 AM

Humminbird Helix Mega.

^^^^^This^^^^
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:09 AM

Lowrance. Carbon.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:45 AM

Lowrance for sure.
Posted By: squib

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:46 AM

Humminbird for sure.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: lucky55
Humminbird Helix Mega.

^^^^^This^^^^

Yes sir
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:51 AM

Only way I run anything but Humminbird is if I was getting paid. Solix 15 Mega... it doesn’t cost much more to roll 1st class.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 01:53 AM

Chevy
Posted By: dawdallas

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 02:02 AM

If I had the money Carbon no question.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 02:03 AM

don't sell garmin short. I hear good things about bird mega but I would not give up my garmin for anything.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 02:12 AM

[quote=Ranger1]Neither...Look into the Raymarines
My son has 2 ,12in on his boat (ray marines) he likes them , he just needs more info on dialing them in.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 03:05 AM

I think talking with David at Shut Up And Fish about your expectations is a great idea, the man knows his business, but if I wanted the best IMO it would be a Humminbird Solix Mega. thumb
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 03:21 AM

I guess between those two it wouldn't matter with me I use 2D 90% of the time. I would rig my next boat with Lowrance front and back, but I would add a Helix at the console for the side and down.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 04:37 AM

Helix mega 12. Easy to use, draws less amps. Clear out of the box
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
Bird

^^^^^this, no doubt^^^^^
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 04:41 PM

Garmin or Lowrance
Posted By: dk2429

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 07:21 PM

Get the best Garmin you can afford
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Humminbird Helix Mega.

^^^^^This^^^^

Yes sir

^^^^^
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 08:22 PM

I went from Lowrance hds 12's to HB Solix mega 12', that lasted a month and took the junkie things off and went back to Lowrance Carbons. So if anyone is interested in a HB Solix Mega I have the whole deal, been on the water 5 times, have one left, sold the other.
Posted By: IIIMag

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 08:56 PM

Depends on your objective. If you are a recreational fisherman like me, the HDS Gen 3 is great. I just bought a 9 inch like you are considering and love it. If you are a serious tournament guy, maybe the Carbon is worth the difference in price andcapabilities, but if not, you will probably love the HDS Gen 3.

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/10/18 09:07 PM

Graphs are getting worse than cell phones...soon as you buy one its out dated.

soap
Posted By: Strait1277

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/11/18 01:46 PM

So true.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/11/18 04:32 PM

I currently have a brand new boat that came with Lowrance structure scan.
I had helix mega on my old boat.
If you actually use your graphs you’d be a fool to buy a current lowrance over the Hleix mega imaging.

My lowrance maxes out at 800KHZ, where as the Hunningbird Mega is 1200 KHZ.

That’s like 50% greater kilohertz! It’s insane how different the picture quality is. I feel like I’m looking at a 1960’s color TV in the lowrance versus a 1080P HD TV with the helix imaging
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
If you actually use your graphs you’d be a fool to buy a current lowrance over the Hleix mega imaging.

That’s like 50% greater kilohertz! It’s insane how different the picture quality is. I feel like I’m looking at a 1960’s color TV in the lowrance versus a 1080P HD TV with the helix imaging

Pump the brakes man. I just spent an [censored] load of money on Solix 12 & 15 MEGA units and agree that they have very sharp down and side imaging but the difference is not as dramatic as folks keep making it out to be. I have ended up using the lowest frequency more often to get the wider coverage range than the mega image so far.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

Pump the brakes man. I just spent an [censored] load of money on Solix 12 & 15 MEGA units and agree that they have very sharp down and side imaging but the difference is not as dramatic as folks keep making it out to be. I have ended up using the lowest frequency more often to get the wider coverage range than the mega image so far.

Go have Slade at fork tune them then report back
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 03:20 AM

With respect, I know how to tune sonar settings. The image is fantastic, the best I have seen. Yet, I'm tired of people exaggerating how much better their chosen brand is over others.

To the original question; when I was shopping for new units I didn't notice much difference between the Gen3's and Carbon as far as function so I'm curious for other's input as well.
Posted By: dlwfish

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 10:53 AM

I have three gen 3’s and they work very well. I can navigate, identify structure/fish with ease using my current setup... Everyone has their own options but to actually answer your question I would purchase an used gen 3 and save a bunch of cash. Set it up properly and you’ll be happy. Also, I’ve used most units on the market and I’m sticking with Lowrance because I’m happy with my current results. I could easily change my setup but I don’t see a reason too... Good luck!

Posted By: skeeterK

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 03:00 PM

To the original question, I would go with the carbon 9. I have dual Gen 3 9's at the console and they are plenty good enough to see what's on the bottom. May not be the clearest picture since they're 3 years old now. My biggest issue has always been response time especially in the last year running the latest software, the carbon line has dual processors plus a higher density screen. The carbon 9's also have a $300 rebate until April 30th.

I may just have to purchase 2 new ones by then. This latest Fish Reveal software revision due out this week may help with that final decision.

Now, at the bow, I have a Helix 12 mainly for 360.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Originally Posted By: dmr183
Humminbird Helix Mega.

^^^^^This^^^^

Yes sir

^^^^^
I just bought two of the Helix 12 SI Sonar/GPS Combo from Cabela's. I was looking at the Helix 10s but hey...couldnt pass these up.

They have two left at the Allen store for$1,499.99 ea. Just add a mega transducer and you have mega si.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbi...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: toledo puma

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 07:55 PM

I agree with skeeterK
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/12/18 08:41 PM

And the RayMarines are like looking at 4k versus your 1080p
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/13/18 01:09 AM

^^^^^ [/quote]I just bought two of the Helix 12 SI Sonar/GPS Combo from Cabela's. I was looking at the Helix 10s but hey...couldnt pass these up.

They have two left at the Allen store for$1,499.99 ea. Just add a mega transducer and you have mega si.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbi...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds [/quote]

You might want to check the HB descriptions on their website. That unit at Cabela's appears to be the older model Helix (not G2N) and to add a SI Mega transducer you'll need the Helix 12 Mega SI. A Mega transucer will work ( i think) but you don't get the higher frequencies that make it mega imaging.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/13/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: skeeterK
^^^^^
I just bought two of the Helix 12 SI Sonar/GPS Combo from Cabela's. I was looking at the Helix 10s but hey...couldnt pass these up.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbi...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds [/quote]

You might want to check the HB descriptions on their website. That unit at Cabela's appears to be the older model Helix (not G2N) and to add a SI Mega transducer you'll need the Helix 12 Mega SI. A Mega transucer will work ( i think) but you don't get the higher frequencies that make it mega imaging. [/quote]

You cannot add MEGA frequency to a unit by adding a MEGA transducer. The unit produces the frequencies NOT the transducer.
The MEGA SI transducer has a dedicated Down Imaging crystal, a first generation SI unit doesn't have a circuit for it.
You can't view CHIRP Imaging with a first generation Helix 12. It has CHIRP 2D sonar ONLY. You can't view MEGA or CHIRP Imaging from a MEGA SI model on a first generation Helix in any size.

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/13/18 01:46 AM

Looking at new Fishfinder specs,...to buy or not to buy,,???
Posted By: John175☮

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/13/18 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

You cannot add MEGA frequency to a unit by adding a MEGA transducer. The unit produces the frequencies NOT the transducer.
The MEGA SI transducer has a dedicated Down Imaging crystal, a first generation SI unit doesn't have a circuit for it.
You can't view CHIRP Imaging with a first generation Helix 12. It has CHIRP 2D sonar ONLY. You can't view MEGA or CHIRP Imaging from a MEGA SI model on a first generation Helix in any size.

Oh well. I'm running 360 99% of the time and wanted the auto-chart functions and awesome screens.

Good to know it won't do the MEGA. Saved me some coin. Thanks.

https://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/CHIRP/
Posted By: P_102

Re: New Graph! Which one?? - 03/13/18 12:56 PM

The Garmin Echo series has extremely clear imaging and is much more (to me) user friendly than the others. I am not sold on touch screen and how it would last over time and weather but it sure is nice at the store.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum