Texas Fishing Forum

SHO nuff problem

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 01:37 AM

I'm running a 2014 Yamaha SHO 150 and today for the first time have a problem. After getting on pad for about a quarter mile the motor just runs out of gas and dies. Starts up and idle a little while, get back on pad for another quarter mile, same thing, runs out of gas and dies. Always starts up and will idle from now on but once you get up on pad for a little while it just runs out of gas. Anyone have this problem ? Youtube talks about a VST filter and also a fuel pump but if it was the fuel pump it would start and run would it ? HELP
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 01:41 AM

I don't know what is causing it but I would quit running it until a shop looks at it.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 01:54 AM

Are you getting fuel supply all the way to the filter on the motor ? If so check your fuel bulb for cracks or that it isn't collapsing at speed.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 01:56 AM

Unless you want to throw parts at it you’ll need a tech to run it hooked up to the computer.

But I agree you’re on the right track. Here is a way to determine which it is if you just are the DIY type.

https://goneoutdoors.com/test-yamaha-outboard-fuel-pump-7875483.html

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
Are you getting fuel supply all the way to the filter on the motor ? If so check your fuel bulb for cracks or that it isn't collapsing at speed.

Yes it's getting fuel to the filter but at high speed ( 40mph ) it's not getting enough. Kinda like a car motor that vapor locks.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:21 AM

Sounds like fuel pump to me.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Unless you want to throw parts at it you’ll need a tech to run it hooked up to the computer.

But I agree you’re on the right track. Here is a way to determine which it is if you just are the DIY type.

https://goneoutdoors.com/test-yamaha-outboard-fuel-pump-7875483.html

Yeah it's gonna take 2 people to do that. First time for this but I'll prolly end up taking it to Rockwall Marine and be without a boat for a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Dtechman

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:30 AM

If it is like my ox66 Yamaha 200 it has low pressure pumps that work off a vacuum at idle to supply fuel and push fuel up in the high pressure tank. The high pressure pump is electric but attached to a tank that contains this filter. It's really more of a screen than filter but will clog up with carbon and trash from the fuel. You can clean this filter but I would change it out. I would also change plugs. I'm not sure how the 02 sensor works on a sho but mine has a sniffer in a tube on the block and it also builds up with carbon and has to be cleaned out occasionally. All of the above can contribute/cause the symptoms you are describing. All of the maintenance on these items is easy to perform yourself and can save you some serious money up front and down the road. Hope this helps
Posted By: bigbass1236

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:45 AM

I have max 150 and mine did that. Found out water was in the fuel. Fixed that and never another problem. Don’t know if that’s it, but something to check.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Dtechman
If it is like my ox66 Yamaha 200 it has low pressure pumps that work off a vacuum at idle to supply fuel and push fuel up in the high pressure tank. The high pressure pump is electric but attached to a tank that contains this filter. It's really more of a screen than filter but will clog up with carbon and trash from the fuel. You can clean this filter but I would change it out. I would also change plugs. I'm not sure how the 02 sensor works on a sho but mine has a sniffer in a tube on the block and it also builds up with carbon and has to be cleaned out occasionally. All of the above can contribute/cause the symptoms you are describing. All of the maintenance on these items is easy to perform yourself and can save you some serious money up front and down the road. Hope this helps

I'm able mechanically to do a lot of maintenance on the boat/motor like changing oil/filter, fuel filter, water separator filter, changing bunks, fixing brakes, packing bearings, but I'm thinking this may be over my head. Just wish it had happened in January or August. As always we hope for something simple and easy to fix but I'm thinking I need to let a pro tackle this one. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS. TFF people are good people.
Posted By: hairball

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:59 AM

Certainly check the fuel water situation. I had something weird like this and it ended up being the fuel lines. It's a simple place to start looking.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: hairball
Certainly check the fuel water situation. I had something weird like this and it ended up being the fuel lines. It's a simple place to start looking.

Thanks hairball, I am going to check that before I take it in. I can take the water separator filter off and check that. Also going to take the cowling off and listen to see if the fuel pump is buzzing and check for any kinks or loose fittings on the fuel line. Was thinking about fishing the Mega Bass Mar. 17th but prolly not now. Golf clubs still work, lol.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 04:05 AM

Sounds like a fuel pump to me but I would definitely eliminate the bulb and lines first as they are cheap.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 04:27 AM

I'm willing to bet the problem is somewhere outside of the cowling.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 04:32 AM

I had a similar issue with my old motor and it ended up being a kinked fuel line. Ran great until it was wide open the then it couldn't keep up.
Posted By: Wildkow

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 04:44 AM

It’s the fuel lines, inner liner probably deteriorating from the ethanol.
Posted By: 9094

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 07:14 AM

Probably the pump. The mechanic where I bought mine suggested that I use the bubble in the gas line the first start up of the day to keep from wearing down the lift pump getting gas from tank to motor in an empty line. I know several people that have had your problem and they never used the primer bulb in the first start of the day after the boat has sat for a while.
It takes about 5 seconds to do and saves wear and tear on the oump.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 11:42 AM

Ronnie something as simple as a primer bulb can go bad.. cheap fix if it's the cause... Just thinking out loud here...it's happened to me.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Ronnie something as simple as a primer bulb can go bad.. cheap fix if it's the cause... Just thinking out loud here...it's happened to me.

Good morning Billy, yes I'm going to do what another TFF'er suggested and check everything outside the cowling before I take it in. Starting to think it may be water in the fuel. Couple weeks ago I stopped on the way home at the car wash to wash the boat off and got a wild hair to wash off where the battery's and fuel tanks off. Clean freak I am, lol. I'm now wondering if somehow water got into the tanks. Playing golf today ( I know, I know ) but going to start chasing fuel problems tomorrow including water in the fuel, fuel line and primer bulb. Everything outside the cowling. Worse thing I can at least tell Tommy all the things that checked ok.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I bet at least one of them is right. You know, if you own a home or a boat you always have something to do. thumb
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 12:36 PM

How old and what type are your fuel lines? Doesn’t take ethanol long to break down liner and compromise the strength of the hose.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildkow
It’s the fuel lines, inner liner probably deteriorating from the ethanol.

Yes, that happened to me!

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
How old and what type are your fuel lines? Doesn’t take ethanol long to break down liner and compromise the strength of the hose.

Been using non ethanol but I'm going to check anyway. Probably just go ahead and replace them.
Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:51 PM

After this happens pop your gas cap and listen for suction, it may just be the fuel tank not venting properly. Happened to me and I thought I popped a powerhead, since the EPA mandated carbon canisters or ventless fuel tanks this has been a problem.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:54 PM

I would start by replacing all fuel lines and primer bulb from tank to motor. Install new fuel filter.

If that fails, then off to a tech.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 02:57 PM

Bulb would be a good place to start
Posted By: joebass2

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 03:02 PM

WAWI helping Gig'em. I anticipate an Aggie joke here shortly.
Posted By: angleiron

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 07:37 PM

2014 should have ethanol rated fuel lines.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/09/18 10:30 PM

Appreciate all the help fellas, when I come up with something I'll post it. Might help someone else. I'm gonna start with water in the fuel and go from there.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/10/18 02:22 PM

If its fuel pump(s) related, you should notice after it dies that the bulb is soft.

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/10/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
If its fuel pump(s) related, you should notice after it dies that the bulb is soft.

Bulb and fuel lines checked out ok, checked for water in the fuel and no water. Took water separator off and fuel filter at engine, everything looked fine. Went to Rockwall Marine this morning and talked with service manager. Based on everything I told him he thinks it's the VST filter but he will have to do diagnostics to be sure. So, taking it in Monday morning, guess I'll be playing golf for the next 3 weeks.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/10/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Chris_K

Bulb and fuel lines checked out ok, checked for water in the fuel and no water. Took water separator off and fuel filter at engine, everything looked fine. Went to Rockwall Marine this morning and talked with service manager. Based on everything I told him he thinks it's the VST filter but he will have to do diagnostics to be sure. So, taking it in Monday morning, guess I'll be playing golf for the next 3 weeks.

Always happens at the worst time of year. Sucks
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: SHO nuff problem - 03/10/18 06:35 PM

Ronnie check with Chuck at Service marine.. he probably can get you going on the spot.. I won't go to anyone else.. those guys are top notch...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum