Texas Fishing Forum

Your favorite reel for flippin’?

Posted By: DeJo1022

Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 08:22 PM

I’m looking at the concept A 8:1 or the Revo Rocket hyper 9:1. Open for suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 08:33 PM

I use a Revo Rocket with Power Pro 50 (?) lb braid on my frog set up but also flip with it occasionally. It is my most expensive reel and my least favorite reel. I prefer my Lews and Diawa Tatula. But to be fair, these are on different rods with different lines, so it could be the reel or it could be a combination of other factors.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 08:38 PM

Steez 8:1
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 08:52 PM

Metanium MGL XG
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 09:19 PM

Daiwa Tatula SV 8.1
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/26/18 10:47 PM

I like the Rockets. It’s not because I think they are better but because the Revo is the most comfortable reel for my hand.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Steez 8:1

Great choice. Mine is the older Steez 7.9:1. About the same.

Nothing like a super fast reel to pick up slack really fast.
Posted By: ditchpickel21

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 01:53 AM

daiwa Zillion HD is incredible
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 03:38 AM

Quantum Accurist with a flipping switch. You won't ever go back to a standard reel if you see how efficient you can work with a flipping switch.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 03:43 AM

Lews Super Duty
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 03:47 AM

Lew’s super duty! Flipping bar and 20lb drag!
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 04:03 AM

Loving my new Shimano Curado 200Xg's in 8.4-1 gear ratio! Best built Curado since the E models! Best buy for the money in my opinion. You can spend more money for a tad lighter reel but at some point it's diminishing returns. With proper maintenance, theses will last and last. I've used the [censored] out of my E's and after cleaning them their as good as new!
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Quantum Accurist with a flipping switch. You won't ever go back to a standard reel if you see how efficient you can work with a flipping switch.

They all have a flip up button on them. Just stuck your thumb in near and pop it up.

I flup Mostly with my aldebaran bfs. Or the new lews super mag 8.5-1 20 drag.
Posted By: onfork

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/27/18 07:23 PM

I use shimano castatic and shimano scorpion quickfire(same reel different colors)they are based on the old shimano green super free reels, they have a thumb bar that can be moved both directions with your thumb which works good while flipping
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 12:18 AM

Tatula SV TW
Zillion SV TW
Steez 103

I use these for pitching jigs and Tx. rigs. I don't ever "flip" because I like pitching a bait a lot better.

Just about any reel will work fine for flipping because you crank in the fish from such a short distance and you don't even cast with the reel.
Some reels were designed specifically for flipping and that is what I would look for if you are going to have a dedicated "flipping" set up.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 12:25 AM

Garcia 4600c. Never breaks.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 04:13 AM

Tatula SV 8:1:1 is a pretty sweet one, Daiwa has really stepped up their game last 5 years in the 130-200$ reel market
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
I use a Revo Rocket with Power Pro 50 (?) lb braid on my frog set up but also flip with it occasionally. It is my most expensive reel and my least favorite reel. I prefer my Lews and Diawa Tatula. But to be fair, these are on different rods with different lines, so it could be the reel or it could be a combination of other factors.

Revos are mostly overpriced for their performance IMO
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger

Revos are mostly overpriced for their performance IMO

bahahahahahahahaahahah... funny, and not true at all. Lews, diawa, and quantum all give you less value for you dollar. I don't get why Lews don't hold up as well, all i can guess is that the bearings and parts they use are lower quality, they are made in the same factory as the Revos. Only lews I would look at after my experience with them is the Superduty. Day in day out revo's take the worst beating and just WORK. Shimano you have to step to a at least a chronarch (and honestly i think a metanium) now a days to really get the quality you used to get in a Curado

for true flip'n its either a Revo Elite 8 or an STX. Elite 8 has 20 lb fluoro the STX has 65 lb braid and is a left handed reel so i don't change hands
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 02:17 PM

I wouldn't say Daiwa gives you less value for your dollar at all. You can get a brand new Daiwa Tatula CT for $89-$99 on eBay and also get a Daiwa Tatula Type R for $119-$129. I've owned Revos in the past and I would much rather take the Tatulas over the Revos. The Revos went to junk once they came out with the 3rd Generation. My first Revo was the 2nd Gen Revo SX and I still absolutely love that reel. Decided to go ahead and buy 4 Revo SX 3rd gen and they are not built well at all. They tried to make it super light weight and added more plastic parts and now they just feel like a cheap reel. After that I switched to the Tatulas and couldn't be happier. They are great reals for a good price. Now I haven't tried the 4th generation Revo so maybe they switched things up again.

And by the way I use a Daiwa Tatula Type R 8.1:1 for flipping and jigs. Awesome durable reel.
Posted By: 007.

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 02:19 PM

A Shimano Curado 70XG (8:2:1) works well for me. Plus it is fairly light at 6.5 oz.
Posted By: BASS101

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 04:06 PM

Lews Super Duty 8.3:1
Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 05:05 PM

I am a Quantum fan and I have two of the Quantum Smoke Speed Freak. They are 8:1 and I love them. I use them for flippin' heavy cover and I haven't had a single issue with them.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 02/28/18 05:57 PM

Core 7.1 or Metanium 8.1
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Your favorite reel for flippin’? - 03/01/18 03:43 PM

Core MGFV
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum