Texas Fishing Forum

high end reels

Posted By: wyatt c

high end reels - 02/26/18 07:38 PM

looking at getting an aldebaran, steez a, or a steez sv tw. anybody here have experience with all of them? if so whats your opinion on them. ive used an aldebaran and like it just curious about how it compares to the steez reels
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 08:15 PM

Both are excellent reels. I prefer the aldebaran for most aplications because of its size and fit in my hand, but I use the steez more when I need a much stronger drag around grass and brush.

Depending on what you are going to use it for, you might want to look into the Metanium MGL's, these are my favorite moving bait reels right now.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 08:17 PM

Haven't used the Aldebaran, but I have a about 15 Steez and love them. My favorite reels BY FAR.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 09:42 PM

Everything Shimano makes is good. Haven't used the Aldebaran so I have no opinion of it.

I can vouch for the Daiwa Steez. The first one I picked up I thought it was so light that it would not hold up. I was wrong. That reel is still very solid so over the years I have acquired a bunch of them. The only one I have that I don't absolutely love is the Steez SV due to the shallow spool. I prefer reels with a little more line capacity. I never use line lighter than 15 or 17 or 65 braid and the SV just doesn't quite have enough capacity for the larger lines in my opinion.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 09:53 PM

My favorite is Core...
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
My favorite is Core...

Core is the best reel Shimano ever made.

I've fished very little with Daiwa reels but I know their Steez lineup is excellent. Also don't have any aldebarons's but I've got several metaniums and for the performance VS Price I find myself buying curado's regularly. They're bulletproof.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 10:12 PM

My favorite is the core but second in line are the daiwa alpha's!
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 10:19 PM

I could probably be just fine with nothing but my core's ad my metaniums. I do have 2 aldebarans that I use for weightless flukes/senkos and topwater walkers. I have the one Steez that I use for grass and extra Heavy rod situations. Everything else is Core or Metanium and the are solid as the day I bought them (bought a bunch used too).
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: high end reels - 02/26/18 10:21 PM

I've got an Aldebaran and it is very nice, have never owned a Steez but have several other Daiwa reels and they are very nice as well. Don't see as either one could be a bad choice.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:13 AM

I'm a big fan of the Alderbarans but would like more line capacity. I've spooled mine several times and your chasing your line down to retie. That my only con. You can fish it comfortable with one hand. It's light and overall a nice reel.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:45 AM

I own both and both are great. The Shimano is slightly less refined than the Steez. But, I also paid $200 LESS for the Shimano. The Steez reels are great.
Posted By: ditchpickel21

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:49 AM

all sweet reels. one you did not name was the daiwa zillion HD out of all of those it is my favorite. but out of the ones you named steez sv is the best.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 03:14 AM

Steez is superior to Aldebaran, IMO...
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 03:26 AM

TW is a horrible feature for the way I fish. I retrieve with my index finger under the line to keep slight tension on the line and to help detect strikes. If I do that with TW, the line lifts out of the guide and will not wind level on the spool.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 03:44 AM

I love Aldebaran I have at least 10. 6.5 7.4 and 8.1 ratios. I wish I could get a 5ish. I like The low line capacity cus you can cast a empty hook. And you don’t need more than 100 yards anyways.

Don’t buy a aldebaran it will spoil you. The weight and size are awesome.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 03:49 AM

Get an SLP works or ZPI modified Daiwa or Shimano. Then we can talk about high end
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 04:00 AM

Z Pride

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Ouch! That thing better wipe after a looong cast, haha! Looks awesome....

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Ouch! That thing better wipe after a looong cast, haha! Looks awesome....

Them Asians always messin with a good thing.... grin

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 12:48 PM

All joking aside, I love all of the high end modded up reels from Japan but they fish such finesse tactics over there that their reels are typically set up for 5.33# super thin radioactive spider web. That normally equates to a very shallow spool, which in turn allows the spool to "start up and slow down" faster with less chance of backlash. This makes casting super lightweight baits a breeze.

The problem for me with these reels is that I like to put 15 to 20# Flo or 65 braid on them and you run out of line on a normal cast. This is what I just recently discovered on my new Steez SV. It is an awesome reel if you use line less than 12# test.

I fill my reels full when I spool them. That way you get maximum casting distance. 99% of all the guys I fish with don't fill their reels full which kills your distance.

With the SV Steez, if you load it with 17 or 20# Invisx it is great, Until you cut and retire a few times during the day. Then I feel like I don't have enough line and I am hitting the knot every cast. If you hang up and have to break off a bait it is exacerbated. This is a personal preference but it bugs the carp outta me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
All joking aside, I love all of the high end modded up reels from Japan but they fish such finesse tactics over there that their reels are typically set up for 5.33# super thin radioactive spider web. That normally equates to a very shallow spool, which in turn allows the spool to "start up and slow down" faster with less chance of backlash. This makes casting super lightweight baits a breeze.

The problem for me with these reels is that I like to put 15 to 20# Flo or 65 braid on them and you run out of line on a normal cast. This is what I just recently discovered on my new Steez SV. It is an awesome reel if you use line less than 12# test.

I fill my reels full when I spool them. That way you get maximum casting distance. 99% of all the guys I fish with don't fill their reels full which kills your distance.

With the SV Steez, if you load it with 17 or 20# Invisx it is great, Until you cut and retire a few times during the day. Then I feel like I don't have enough line and I am hitting the knot every cast. If you hang up and have to break off a bait it is exacerbated. This is a personal preference but it bugs the carp outta me.

That doesn't sound very "Stressfree or Versitile", which is what SV is supposed to stand for.

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:44 PM

You know, Ken....some people can't afford to fill their spools every time. But I can feel your pain....
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 01:53 PM

That's odd as a regular Steez and Steez SV only have a 10yd difference in capacity for instance in the 16lb line size and 20yds difference in 14lb size.
Posted By: tclay

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 06:17 PM

I have an akmibrand new metanium for sale. Posted on the for sale trade page
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 08:21 PM

That's how the high end Shimano's are as well. Much shallower spool. My metaniums and chronarchs I spool up all the way for the exact reason you stated. After a few re-ties a long cast will hit the knot. In the long run I think you get more bang for your buck. You end up wasting less line.
Posted By: wyatt c

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 10:35 PM

i like the small spool because i plan to use it on a jerkbait rod. didnt know if there were any problems that these reels usually run into or anything. i had a left handed aldebaran i just took off my jerkbait rod because i couldnt get used to it. i normally dont use shimano because theyre too big for my hand, same is true for the metaniums. hence why i was looking at the aldebarans and steez reels.

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 10:46 PM

You know, Ken....some people can't afford to fill their spools every time. But I can feel your pain....

Yeah the six times I get to go every year nowadays.... roflmao
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: high end reels - 02/27/18 11:58 PM

I have several of the Steez reels and love them.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: high end reels - 02/28/18 12:23 AM

Ken, if I did fish with you I would be in the 1%. I can't stand fishing with reels that aren't full.

And my favorite reel is the Shimano Core, been using them for several years now. I tried a Steez once and it just didn't do it for me. It didn't palm as well as the Core and I just couldn't love it. I sold it on Ebay. I bought some of the new Curado K reels and I like them a lot so far (even though they are not high end). They hold plenty of line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum