Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn water color.

Posted By: Flooringit

Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 06:16 PM

What’s the lake looking like. Seen she’s full pool now
Posted By: bigmikey

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 07:43 PM

Pretty muddy in main creeks. But pretty nice stained in areas out of the main flow.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 08:07 PM

Areas are muddy where the larger creeks run in, smaller creeks are what I call spinnerbait color. Main lake is about the same, slight stain. I don't know about 147 area but would assume it looks similar.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 08:10 PM

Good chance of heavy rains next 2 days also. So much for the clear spring. At least they will get another banner spawn
Posted By: Trx

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 10:44 PM

Hmmmm....
Posted By: Thomas H.

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
What’s the lake looking like. Seen she’s full pool now

I have a feeling it's gonna be 2015 all over again. I went out on Rayburn once when it was 15 ft high in summer of 2015 with Scott Haasl and my dad and we caught 30 fish. Although the kicker was only 5 and three quarters. We stayed at Lakeview and the night before our trip we walked 20 ft to the flooded banks and caught a couple fish on a rage tail shad. Lots'O'fun!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/26/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Good chance of heavy rains next 2 days also. So much for the clear spring. At least they will get another banner spawn

I love it. I wish it would stay in the trees for the rest of they year. It doesn't make for the best fishing but it makes the lake that much better after a year or so.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 12:56 AM

Only down side is if it gets to high it will kill the drilla
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 12:59 AM

Main lake around 147 and south to Mudd cr and Boggy area wasnt bad last weekend. Wasn’t clear but not dirty. Stained green tint. Fish didn’t mind it. Water temps 60-64

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Only down side is if it gets to high it will kill the drilla

Yup Toledo is done. What little grass was thriving probably is dying soon. Hopefully Rayburn doesn't come up much more. The high water is great for a protected spawn but the hydrilla is critical for them once they move out.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 03:07 AM

Also if we have that super high water again this year be careful not to bang your boat into one of those 130 foot high dead pine trees, one of those will wreck your day.

I shot this pic this afternoon of the water up north, looks like a floater in it too.

Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Also if we have that super high water again this year be careful not to bang your boat into one of those 130 foot high dead pine trees, one of those will wreck your day.

I shot this pic this afternoon of the water up north, looks like a floater in it too.

roflmao Looks like hydrilla laying on the surface.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 03:24 AM

afraid that's giant salvania....yeah i can't spell that
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 07:04 PM

Good point in regards to the dead trees Ken. Hit one in 2015 in Mudd area and about 15 feet of the top of the tree came raining down in about 3 pieces. Pine shrapnel rained down on the rear of the boat. The cowling still bears the scar's from that incident.
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 10:32 PM

I hate to say it but Jaret is probably spot on about Toledo. Not to say anything negative about Jaret's comments because he is always spot on. The grass in Toledo (that is there) is going to be greatly impacted by the water levels and the high muddy water. I am going to make a statement and in doing so I want all to know I own a lake house right on the water. In my opinion around June they need to lower the lake to 162 (10" low) and let the vegetation regrow and get the new lake effect. I do realize it will hurt industry etc. When it refills it will be incredible for several years. That's what happened a few years ago. The lake has been trying to come back but if the water releases do not get it 3' low the grass will be gone again. I have talked to people today that say there is extremely muddy water where there has never been and I quote Chocolate Milk. I hope they keep releasing but after the effects south of the dam the last couple years that will probably not happen.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Ned
I hate to say it but Jaret is probably spot on about Toledo. Not to say anything negative about Jaret's comments because he is always spot on. The grass in Toledo (that is there) is going to be greatly impacted by the water levels and the high muddy water. I am going to make a statement and in doing so I want all to know I own a lake house right on the water. In my opinion around June they need to lower the lake to 162 (10" low) and let the vegetation regrow and get the new lake effect. I do realize it will hurt industry etc. When it refills it will be incredible for several years. That's what happened a few years ago. The lake has been trying to come back but if the water releases do not get it 3' low the grass will be gone again. I have talked to people today that say there is extremely muddy water where there has never been and I quote Chocolate Milk. I hope they keep releasing but after the effects south of the dam the last couple years that will probably not happen.

What happens if they drop it 10ft and then we go into another drought like 2009-2012?

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 11:00 PM

It's something that is out of human hands. What happens if they don't and there is no grass. I know Toledo will always kick out decent stringers. But in it's hey day with the grass all the way north of the 1215 area it was amazing. I have fished this lake and Rayburn for 4 decades. I am definitely NO biologist but this works throughout the country and there have been many articles wrote about "the New Lake Effect". Science is science and if there was a drought it would be terrible. But looking at the weather patterns of recent months it doesn't look likely. Trust me it is a gamble but look what happened after it refilled last time. #1 lake for 2 years in a row. I wish someone had the answer about the grass in Toledo but there is so many opions I don't know. I did talk with a Biologist that said the problem with Toledo is the heavy flooding and above pool lake rises the last few years. He stated that the agriculture from Dallas south that spray their crops for weeds etc. with herbicides and then the heavy rains washed it down from the north and that is what affected lake Fork and Toledo Bend grass.

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 11:13 PM

A stable water level will grow grass better than any fluctuations. Look at rayburn, it was high for about 2 years straight and the grass is better than it has been in a while. Now if this water coming in clears up pretty quick it will take off again but the muddy water will kill it pretty quick.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 11:21 PM

...not arguing one way or the other.....
BUT,, do you think the folks that control that water and the level of the lake really care about YOUR fishing and what the water level up/down will do to make the fishing GREAT ?
They have a different job and agenda than do the bass fishermen and they are not going to set their agenda on what will be best for the "BASS" in 3 years.
Now, with that being said "I" do not expect them to set the lakes agenda based on my recreational bass fishing. I expect them to do what is best for what their plans are.

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/27/18 11:22 PM

I agree Skipper but Toledo does not clear like Rayburn and in my opinion they need to try to drop it to at least 3' lower than full pool to sustain the grass growth that is currently going on to help promote grass growth.

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/28/18 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
...not arguing one way or the other.....
BUT,, do you think the folks that control that water and the level of the lake really care about YOUR fishing and what the water level up/down will do to make the fishing GREAT ?
They have a different job and agenda than do the bass fishermen and they are not going to set their agenda on what will be best for the "BASS" in 3 years.
Now, with that being said "I" do not expect them to set the lakes agenda based on my recreational bass fishing. I expect them to do what is best for what their plans are.

No, but I wish they did. Lol Bit I think we all understand
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/28/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Ned
It's something that is out of human hands. What happens if they don't and there is no grass. I know Toledo will always kick out decent stringers. But in it's hey day with the grass all the way north of the 1215 area it was amazing. I have fished this lake and Rayburn for 4 decades. I am definitely NO biologist but this works throughout the country and there have been many articles wrote about "the New Lake Effect". Science is science and if there was a drought it would be terrible. But looking at the weather patterns of recent months it doesn't look likely. Trust me it is a gamble but look what happened after it refilled last time. #1 lake for 2 years in a row. I wish someone had the answer about the grass in Toledo but there is so many opions I don't know. I did talk with a Biologist that said the problem with Toledo is the heavy flooding and above pool lake rises the last few years. He stated that the agriculture from Dallas south that spray their crops for weeds etc. with herbicides and then the heavy rains washed it down from the north and that is what affected lake Fork and Toledo Bend grass.

Dropping it 10 ft isn't out of Human hands.

I'm not arguing that the regrowth allowed from lakes dropping isn't good for the fishery. Just stating that what you suggested isn't realistic.

Re: Rayburn water color. - 02/28/18 03:42 AM

The only way to get grass back on toledo is if it stops raining or flooding. If it's stable, it will thrive as it did on rayburn.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum