Texas Fishing Forum

Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed?

Posted By: EvanVidal

Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/25/18 09:11 PM

Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed?
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/25/18 11:14 PM

No clue but I have replaced a couple myself, nothing to it.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/25/18 11:58 PM

If you have a marine repair shop do it then labor would probably cost more than the ignition. I think my ignition was about $40 plus labor ran it up to around $100. Cant remember it exactly because they did a bunch of other routine stuff as well.
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 12:02 AM

Very easy to do
Posted By: EvanVidal

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 01:18 AM

The problem is, this old boat is a rats nest of wires. Some dont even have a purpose. I have no clue where anything goes anymore.

I need help. I hate to spend more money than I need to, but I dont know what elese to do.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 01:39 AM

The problem with older boats is finding replacement parts. My suggestion, if possible, would be to take a picture of the front and back of the switch and take it to a repair shop, hopefully a dealer that services the same brand of boat as yours. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a youtube video that relates to your situation. Without more specifics it's going to be difficult to get help on here.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 01:51 AM

pretty simple to cut and splice the wires to a new 10$ key switch
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 03:11 AM

I replaced a switch for my Mercury ( lost keys ) years ago at Amistad with a used switch that came off of a Johnson motor. Like Jeff said it was duck soup since wires are colored the same.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 03:37 AM

I changed my own on my 92 Johnson Fast Strike. Same thing, big rats nest but just change one wire at a time and you will be fine. Bought mine off of Amazon cheap.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
I changed my own on my 92 Johnson Fast Strike. Same thing, big rats nest but just change one wire at a time and you will be fine. Bought mine off of Amazon cheap.

I will add one more thing, unhook the batteries before you start.
Posted By: jlp1

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 01:29 PM

I changed mine in my '98 Nitro, disconnected battery and one wire at a time. Not too difficult, take your time.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Anyonoe know how much to have a new ignition switch installed? - 02/26/18 03:11 PM

I also took a picture of the wiring on the old one before I started just in case I messed up somewhere.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum