Texas Fishing Forum

Stroking Jigs

Posted By: teambassmanager

Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 05:44 PM

Curious to see how many people find "stroking" their jigs as being an effective form of jigging versus the dragging style or regular technique.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 05:52 PM

eeks popcorn2
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dock30tv
Curious to see how many people find "stroking" their jigs as being an effective form of jigging versus the dragging style or regular technique.

I haven’t heard of this in years... Marty Stone had a good video of this
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:16 PM

I had some really good days doing this a few years back. Not sure why but I've gotten out of doing it. It's usually a pretty violent bite.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:16 PM

I only use the technique when the fish are deep, suspended and keying on shad.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:19 PM

it works, similar to a jigging spoon.

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:24 PM

So it's more based off the type of fishing your doing versus just "doing" the technique while trying to JIG.. I had seen someone doing this technique @ Fork from Arkansas and he was hooking up so much I had to indulge on the conversation but never pursued others opinions. He says this technique has landed more big fish in his lifetime than any other fishing rig or presentation.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 06:33 PM

to me it's the classic example of a true reaction strike. you are making them bite it out of a reaction, not hunger. imagine a big fat jig landing deep on the bottom and making a silt cloud which in turns gets the attention of a big fat bass. she swim up to it and goes nose down starting to look at it. all of a sudden the jig gets stroked and leaps off the bottom causing the strike. the bass wasn't going to let it get away rather than preying on a crawdad crawling along the bottom.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 08:48 PM

I do it all the time for a reaction bite when they are wanting it like that they knock the mess out of it.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 09:25 PM

We do it when the "dragging" bite slows down to trigger a few more bites. It's paid off for us in the last few years. caught some of the bigger fish in the school doing it. but like someone said above we only do it in deep water.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 09:50 PM

Has worked really well for me at Fork in the summer. Big one ounce white jig with a white trailer.
Posted By: rscustomrods

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/19/18 10:00 PM

You can also stroke a big worm. It is a great technique at night on fork. As mentioned, they absolutely hammer it when they hit. Really fun bite
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 12:36 AM

Still works...I caught a few on Palestine last few weekends doing it.
Buddy of mine had just finished saying,
"I don't ever know why I try to throw jigs, I never catch them like you do...."
then he almost lost an arm when a fish hit it, LOL....sometimes its unbearably slow, but I've been told I'm a "jig ho"....
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I only use the technique when the fish are deep, suspended and keying on shad.

thumb
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 02:26 AM

It can be deadly summer time ledge fishing.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 02:34 AM

Not really the same as stoking but instead of slowing creeping your jig around timber and brush try getting the jig almost stuck and banging it unto the limbs or brush multiple times. The new Finch nasty victory jig has really made this easy to because it is more weedless than any football jig I have used.

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Mudbone
Still works...I caught a few on Palestine last few weekends doing it.
Buddy of mine had just finished saying,
"I don't ever know why I try to throw jigs, I never catch them like you do...."
then he almost lost an arm when a fish hit it, LOL....sometimes its unbearably slow, but I've been told I'm a "jig ho"....

JIG HO roflmao
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Stroking Jigs - 02/20/18 04:05 AM

i catch a few little fish on jigs every now and then. i dont do a full stroke unless the fish are deep and feeding on shad. otherwise, most my action comes on a small hop. i try to jerk the jig up about 6" most the time. its a short and fast hop to create a reaction strike.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum