Texas Fishing Forum

Major League Fishing

Posted By: BriannShell

Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:13 PM

They are back to Alpena, Michigan for the 3rd time... mad been there done that twice before....so many great places to go where that format would work great....a little disappointed in this retread!
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:20 PM

dang going to be 50000000000000 little bitty fish lol!! they bombed pretty bad in Arkansas though. really thought oachita would show better than that!
Posted By: cob

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:24 PM

Have to wonder how many concessions ( room, meals and, of course,$$) MLF gets for going to an area.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:37 PM

It’s getting so repetitive and boring I can’t watch it. Why are they scared to go to some of the slot lakes in Texas? They’re tailor-made for this format. Fork, Athens and Monti would be perfect. Lots of choices. I think they’re just to the point where they want to go to guaranteed fish catches, and I get that, but catching 1lb. dinks gets boring.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
dang going to be 50000000000000 little bitty fish lol!! they bombed pretty bad in Arkansas though. really thought oachita would show better than that!

In my 14 tour stops and Ouchita was my least favorite by far!
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 01:39 PM

Since sales and marketing is all I have done for my entire career, what comes to mind is bang for the proverbial buck. Where I'm sure Alpena tourism pays for food, hotels, etc. the Quachita deal was a debacle. I was thinking of lakes that even I, as a terrible fisherman, could have caught a decent sack, just in the north and east Texas area. The "real" sponsors, Power Pole, Bass Cat, Nitro, Phoenix, General Tire, Kubota, have a more vested interest in viewership than the Alpena choke and puke buffet. I love the format, love the comments, but when it's about viewership, Aribitron and Nielsen ratings and share points, you'd think they'd care far more about how interesting the format is and the quality of the fish caught. Man, Lake Austin, Fork, Rayburn, Toledo Bend. I'd rather see 'em fish my Uncle Arch's farm pond in Dustin, OK. Biggest fish out of that little 10 acre pond is an 11. Maybe have a sand bass tournament? First one to 200 fish on Fork?? It'd be more interesting to me. Get 'em all wearing "kill whitie" shirts?
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 02:00 PM

Brian is always stirring!! stir
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
Brian is always stirring!! stir

Always something hurtful from you!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 03:11 PM

3 times kind of defeats the no knowledge deal. Really, since they just play dink fest at every stop i just about quit watching. I might skim thru a recorded event but it's the same every time. Beat the bank and catch dinks. I could compete on that level.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 03:33 PM

You have to remember they are trying to reach target audiences in more than just Texas. They did a Texas show last year, it turned out well(other than Jacksonville) and I bet they come back. Just can't expect them to come back every year.

They also have to plan around both the FLW and BASS trail so you start knocking out a lot of lakes due to off limits.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 03:45 PM

Welp... thats stupid...

One of the best parts of it orginally was how much it jumped around to "no name" lakes
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 03:56 PM

Just wait until May when they air the one where they came to central Louisiana. I've heard from multiple people involved that it was their favorite venue so far. They smashed the fish! And of course, great hospitals around here. They will be back
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Fanatic
Just wait until May when they air the one where they came to central Louisiana. I've heard from multiple people involved that it was their favorite venue so far. They smashed the fish! And of course, great hospitals around here. They will be back

Explain please..... Hospitals?
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 04:19 PM

probably waiting for some chamber or industrial board to come up with some decent money before they come back to Texas. You don't think they went to Maine a year ago for free do ya?

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

Explain please..... Hospitals?

I'm sure he meant "hospitality" but autocorrect got him! I didn't know they had an event in central Louisiana. that could be a great show!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
3 times kind of defeats the no knowledge deal. Really, since they just play dink fest at every stop i just about quit watching. I might skim thru a recorded event but it's the same every time. Beat the bank and catch dinks. I could compete on that level.

If I recall there are multiple small lakes in that area so they hit different lakkes each time.
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 04:59 PM

Yes. I meant hospitality lol. The lakes hey fished around here are full of fish and a few of them has a good number of 3-5lbers.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:13 PM

Loved the show at first.

Now tired of hearing them complain about not being able to count their 13 oz fish.

I want to see same format where they are forced to look for bigger fish.

Increase the size limit to 16" or 18".

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:23 PM

^^ yeah I bet viewers complained about all the " 12 inchers " so the company moved it too " 1 pounders " and now the anglers are like "*(*&(*&(*&(" !!! I do wish they would stick to small bodies of water not like 1 creek arm of a major lake. Texas was good for that and so was the north LA one.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Loved the show at first.

Now tired of hearing them complain about not being able to count their 13 oz fish.

I want to see same format where they are forced to look for bigger fish.

Increase the size limit to 16" or 18".

I doubt many people go out and catch 16-18" fish all day. Throw in the shortened periodsthey fish you are gonna end up with a lot of dead air and no catches.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:45 PM

I'd rather give them a day to pre-fish and/or study the lake and then have the competition.

15 minute ride around before they start fishing basically forces them to make an educated guess and do the thing that helps them catch a keeper (which is usually beat the bank).

IMO, it would be much more interesting to let hem all (equally) "study" the lake, maybe even pre-fish it for a reasonable length of time, and THEN watch how different anglers go about attacking the lake. Would result in better fish, more intense competition, and more diversity of technique.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:54 PM

I still like em yall are a really tough crowd to please! LOL
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:56 PM

the novelty has worn off,... yawn
Plus all the re-runs..and there's really no 'winner' ,..
isn't the money all the same..?? zzzzzzzzzzzz tired
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 05:58 PM

the TFF winter solstice is almost over...
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
I'd rather give them a day to pre-fish and/or study the lake and then have the competition.

15 minute ride around before they start fishing basically forces them to make an educated guess and do the thing that helps them catch a keeper (which is usually beat the bank).

IMO, it would be much more interesting to let hem all (equally) "study" the lake, maybe even pre-fish it for a reasonable length of time, and THEN watch how different anglers go about attacking the lake. Would result in better fish, more intense competition, and more diversity of technique.

I will say this. I still love the show. But there are some really good off shore fisherman on there that with nothing but the ride through go straight to the bank like everyone else. It's rare to see someone sit off shore and fish deep because you can get behind so fast and if any of those areas do not produce, they're hosed. Only one who scored big off shore was Aaron Martens up in MN once throwing the jerk bait. I'm interested in watching those guys figure out where and what to fish deep.
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 07:06 PM

Much like FLW & BASS, it's whoever can pay them the most to fish their area.There's many places to fish within a couple hours of Alpena and I love watching the smallies get smashed. Most of those places can give up some 5-6+ pound brown fish, so it has the opportunity to be really interesting to me.
Ouachita was about my least favorite show. Ray Roberts stunk it up too.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 07:51 PM

To me, it ain't about the size of the fish. Bigger would be better but I'm amazed at the process and the quick ability to adapt that some have and others don't.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 07:58 PM

Didn't Timmy Horton fish offshore throwing a deep diving crankbait when he set the record for weight in a day?
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
the TFF winter solstice is almost over...

This for sure!
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/15/18 09:29 PM

It's gotten very boring more commercials less fishing, it's almost as bad as Street Outlaws.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 12:15 AM

I thought the idea was cool. I'd get to learn how a pro goes to a lake and reads it then produces from it. I typically show up and go shallow and figured that I'd learn something new. What I learned was that about half the Pros who have no more information than I do when I go to a lake, they are no better than me at locating and catching them and they aren't dealing with the overcrowding on the lake. The show is a little disappointing in that respect. I'd like to see the scoring change somehow to encourage fishing for larger fish than 1 pounders. It does get a little old in hearing, "Oh my God, it's a biggun" then to see them pull out a 2 pounder.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER
It's gotten very boring more commercials less fishing, it's almost as bad as Street Outlaws.

Hahahaha! Yes but I have to give the Outlaws some credit. They changed it up to get in more racing just for this reason.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Dang man, this is almost 2019 . . . DVR ! hammer peep
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 10:24 AM

I wish they would of hit ouachita at a better time. It's really a great lake with a ton of good fish.
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 03:26 PM

I would like to see a higher quality field. They have some good ones, they have some fair ones, and they have some you who did they know ones.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 05:50 PM

I'm surprised they beat the banks , as stated above I can catch dinks every now and then .

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 07:15 PM

id like to see em on the entire cali delta
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 10:01 PM

"Entire Cali Delta" equals 1100 square miles(obviously not all fishable) with 700 miles of waterways.

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/16/18 10:36 PM

its bigger than that
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/18/18 01:22 PM

That sounds like it will be good viewing. What town were the based out of for those episodes? What lakes did they fish?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/19/18 06:01 AM

Watched it today. This was no dinkfest. Some big brown fish were eating, and even a couple green ones.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Major League Fishing - 02/19/18 07:00 AM

I watched it also. Was much more exciting to see larger fish being caught and how fast they could rise or fall on the board because of it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum