Texas Fishing Forum

Talons

Posted By: Bigg Un

Talons - 02/15/18 12:32 PM

Does anyone have the 15 ft Talons? I am ready to put a pair on my skeeter. Have there been any issues with the 15's? I see where they are 12 inches taller than the 12 ft Talons.. is that an issue getting under bridges. Would just like some feedback before I purchase them....
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 12:42 PM

I have a set. Only been able to use them for one trip. They are tall so you will need tilt brackets to clear low bridges and stuff but you probably would with 12s because they are above the motor also. Really quiet and held good in 15'. Haven't heard any issues but they just came out. They've been pretty reliable since the last version came out

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 06:39 PM

Thanks Skipper...I have already ordered all the brackets and I did get the tilt brackets...I hadn't heard anyone talk about them...just wanted to hear from someone that had a set...
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 07:44 PM

They haven’t released the update to use them w ultrex remote. Or a deck button. And they have a glitch where remote won’t raise them at the extended depth that is about the same as on the trailer.

But other than that stuff work great.

Posted By: 206champion

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 08:29 PM

I have 12s I bet you will like them and I know you willlike the tilt brackets.

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 09:33 PM

If the remote will not raise them up...how do you get them up??

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 09:49 PM

Mine did that while on the trailer. I just hit the button on the talon and they came up. No problems on the water though. I thought it was due to being on the trailer.
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
They haven’t released the update to use them w ultrex remote. Or a deck button. And they have a glitch where remote won’t raise them at the extended depth that is about the same as on the trailer.

If they work with the remote that comes with it, then they should be able to be programmed to this remote.

Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures

Re: Talons - 02/15/18 10:21 PM

you think by now they would make talons with a power tilt so you don't have to get up in tournaments and set it down?

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:01 AM

What would happen if they deployed while the trailer was moving??
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigg Un

You will want to install a battery shut off switch to kill power to them. I never tow with power to my poles.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

You will want to install a battery shut off switch to kill power to them. I never tow with power to my poles.

I have a battery shut off on my boat and have never thought about that before. I definitely need to shut it off while I'm traveling! Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:18 AM

The story that goes around is you can have your lanyard in the glovebox or day box and a bounce could trigger the switch. Don’t know if it’s just a wives tale or has happened, but I’ve turned off my switch as part of my routine coming off the lake ever since I got my new boat with poles.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

If they work with the remote that comes with it, then they should be able to be programmed to this remote.

No. There's a new footswitch. The old one won't work on the new Bluetooth models

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

+1 The only things that have power when I'm not fishing is the motor, auto bilge, and alarm. Everything else is on a switch

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 01:39 AM

That makes sense..since I haven't installed them yet I will get some type of power kill switch to eliminate that worry..
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 02:13 AM

Might as well add the light cap while your at it. Very very handy add on, never need your light pole again.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 02:53 AM

Input a nav light on top of my 15’. And put a master disconnect that does my tm and crank batteries with one switch.

I dont Know how to post pics here.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 02:53 AM

You’ll want tilt no matter what to extend them and clean them.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 03:54 AM

I would like to see that light Jeff. It's not the RMP model is it?

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 12:18 PM

I would like to see the nav. light too..was told the one that works on the 12's wouldn't work on the 15s...
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
No. There's a new footswitch. The old one won't work on the new Bluetooth models

Ahhh...of course, they changed it up to make it "better"! roflmao

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 03:26 PM

I would like to see the nav. light too..was told the one that works on the 12's wouldn't work on the 15s...

The new 2018 talons are a different shape so the RMP lights won't work as far as I know

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Ahhh...of course, they changed it up to make it "better"! roflmao

They changed because the ultrex and the humminbirds are Bluetooth so that everything can work together.

Re: Talons - 02/16/18 09:44 PM

Skipper.. do the 15 ft talons have some kind of work light on the top them..

Re: Talons - 02/17/18 08:45 PM

I would like to see that light Jeff. It's not the RMP model is it?

I bought a simple post light, took the top off, drilled a hole and ran the wires down the side of the talon.

I used 3 wire shielded so it was round like the other side and ran it in the slot. Its a 10 minute project.

Re: Talons - 02/17/18 08:50 PM

the work lights are on the front, they light up the boat really well for working on the deck

Re: Talons - 02/17/18 08:51 PM

the new talons are a completely different top than the old

Re: Talons - 02/17/18 08:57 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...ype=3&ifg=1

Re: Talons - 02/18/18 12:49 AM

Yea. They are blue or white with 3 different brightness settings for each color. They work good for lighting up the deck

Re: Talons - 02/18/18 01:22 AM

Can you post a picture of the nav. light you installed...

Re: Talons - 02/18/18 04:56 AM

I posted a link to it above, I dont know how to post pics with photo bucket being gone.

Re: Talons - 02/18/18 06:07 PM

Looks good...is that on the 15's..

Re: Talons - 02/19/18 12:01 AM

Looks good...is that on the 15's..

yes I have 15, the top cap is the same on all of them
Posted By: tsubrett

Re: Talons - 02/19/18 01:59 PM

If you are looking for lights for your talon check out the TZER lights. They even have some for the new talons. I cant say enough about mine. Things are crazy bright. The starboard light even has the anchor light which flips up.

https://tzerproducts.com/collections/beacon-series TZER LIGHT BEACON SERIES
Posted By: Ranger205

Re: Talons - 02/21/18 02:26 AM

A club member had his poles deploy while running when a lanyard switch in a back compartment had something bounce on it.

Re: Talons - 02/21/18 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger205
A club member had his poles deploy while running when a lanyard switch in a back compartment had something bounce on it.

Talons draw power when not in use it may not add up to much but that is why I put the disconnect in, my boat already had one for tm and crank separate in the rear compartment but I didnt want to be digging for those and wanted to just flip one switch to turn off everything I can leave on.

I leave my tm foot pedal switch on, my accessory switches both on its nice to stop feeling like your doing a pre flight check flipping all the switches turning on all the graphs etc.

Re: Talons - 02/21/18 12:57 PM

This is why you put everything on a cut off switch. The only thing I have on constant power is my motor, auto bilge, and alarm. I wish I could put my trim on the switch to really. Then nothing can accidently come on or a relay go out and burn up a trim motor or worse. I know that stuff rarely happens but why chance it.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Talons - 02/21/18 01:05 PM

My wife was pulling my old boat, I followinf behind in 5th wheel, and didn’t have my power poles on a cut off switch and had the lanyard around my rear view mirror, I fish a lot and I launch And deploy them from my truck. Son pushed button while she was going 65 down 35 near down town. I called And had her pull over. Surprisingly it didn’t break a thing. Those fiberglass poles flex! Did sharpen the end of them to be like a dagger though

Re: Talons - 02/21/18 01:16 PM

This is why you put everything on a cut off switch. The only thing I have on constant power is my motor, auto bilge, and alarm. I wish I could put my trim on the switch to really. Then nothing can accidently come on or a relay go out and burn up a trim motor or worse. I know that stuff rarely happens but why chance it.

you can its called a master disconnect I posted a link to one that will do the tm and start batteries both
Posted By: plnwtf

Re: Talons - 02/24/18 04:36 AM

I posted a link to it above, I dont know how to post pics with photo bucket being gone.

Use this site. Its free.

https://imgur.com/

Re: Talons - 02/24/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: plnwtf

Use this site. Its free.

https://imgur.com/

Thanks I signed up Ill get it figured out.

Re: Talons - 02/24/18 04:46 PM

Re: Talons - 02/24/18 04:52 PM

heres the factory work lights

Re: Talons - 02/24/18 04:52 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum