Texas Fishing Forum

which mid range multi use reel would you buy?

Posted By: gut hooked

which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:27 PM

I have fished curados and citicas for years. I need to add to the arsenal and am happy to spend up to $125 or so per reel. I am using the reel for flouro carbon 12-20 lb test and for worming and light cranking. any help is appreciated.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:28 PM

Why not stick with the Curado or Citica? Those are proven reels.

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:31 PM

yeah so the price point is a little high for me at this point. i have a hard time justifying the expense when there are other reels in the market that are cheaper and work as well.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:35 PM

go on line and buy them on sale or Lew's is a great reel to
Posted By: carlots

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:40 PM

I have been using bps carbon lite reels for about 10 years now and love them for the price. I replaced 4 of the older ones last year with the newer 2.0 models and love them all. bps has a sale starting 2-16-18 and they will be a real bargain. I had been using daiwa and shimano reels prior to switching and have never looked back. i'm not saying these are the best reels out there but for the price the are real close.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: gut hooked
yeah so the price point is a little high for me at this point. i have a hard time justifying the expense when there are other reels in the market that are cheaper and work as well.

I see. Fair enough. If you want to stick with Shimano you should check out the Casitas ($99) or Caenan ($79). Both reels are flawless for their price.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 10:06 PM

Lews LFS Great reel I believe they are 99.99 just about anywhere I have one and find myself favoring it over my more expensive reels
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 10:58 PM

Lews MG
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/13/18 11:27 PM

I have fished curados and citicas for years. I need to add to the arsenal and am happy to spend up to $125 or so per reel. I am using the reel for flouro carbon 12-20 lb test and for worming and light cranking. any help is appreciated.

Brand new Citicas are selling for $109 and change on ebay with free shipping. Just sayin'.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 12:27 AM

I've got Lews, Quantum, Shimano, and Daiwa. The Tatula from Diawa is my favorite reel in that price range. If I had $125 to spend, I would pick the Tatula.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 12:39 AM

These are nice!
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garci...ustomer_reviews
Posted By: GROD

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 12:43 AM

Tatula... cast a mile.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 01:14 AM

Shop around for the Shimano Casitas, you can find them under $100
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 01:27 AM

Check the bargain cave on cabelas website

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: BTwrestle04

Brand new Citicas are selling for $109 and change on ebay with free shipping. Just sayin'.

The price is right.....good call and thanks
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 02:21 AM

Curado k is a great reel
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 02:36 AM

ardent apex elite is a good reel in the price range
look on ebay
also they weight 5.9 oz
u might wait till BPS put on the spring sale
last year had pro qualifiers 49.99
heck of a deal and a alot of bang for your buck
Posted By: catslayer

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 04:11 AM

Revo sx and be done, the shimanoes arnt made like they used to thier [censored] until you hit $400. Tatula is ehh...feels cheap but has held up. Cast solid not as far as others i have but solid.i have one id trade it in a heart beat. Though i heard new versions improved things

Revo is overall best imho.

Ill NEVER own another ardent...junk fell to pieces. Only lews that interest me is superduty and its out of the price range
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 04:45 AM

Another vote for SX. I prefer them to my STXs.

Can get them on ebay or Amazon in $120 range brand new in box.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:25 AM

Lots of good deals on Ebay. Daiwa Tatulas for around $110 shipped. Shimano Curado 200i’s for around $125. I have several of both and they are excellent.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 01:19 PM

Curado 101B
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 01:38 PM

You think Tatula feels cheap and not a Revo SX? Im confused. I have 4 3rd Generation Revo SX and yes they are good reels but they feel cheap compared to the Daiwa Tatula CT and Tatula Type Rs. Now the 2nd Gen Revo SX was a beast. I think Abu was trying to hard to make their reels light weight and really screwed up with the 3rd gen by making the reel more plastic. If I had to choose between the Tatula Type R and the 3rd Gen Revo SX, the Tatula gets the nod every time. Im not sure what the 4th Gen Revos are like though. And by the way you can find the Type R's on eBay for $114.99 right now.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 04:53 PM

Revo SX and if for some reason dont like then Lews lite
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:13 PM

My most often used reels are Quantum Accurist, Daiwa Tatula CT and a BPS Pro Qualifier. The last 2 were purchased last year and the Accurist I've had for many years, I like the Quantum the best for size and feel and either casting or pitching. Daiwa is 2nd choice but Pro Q not far off. They are all available at $100, bought Daiwa on Ebay for $94 and with a reel trade-in at BPS starting Friday you can get the other 2 for less than a $100.
Posted By: JDV

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:21 PM

Tatula CT for $88 brand new
Posted By: adam_p

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: JDV

How about a link?
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:37 PM

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Speed_Spool_LFS_Series_Casting_Reels/descpage-LSFS.html
Posted By: CCTX

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
Revo SX and if for some reason dont like then Lews lite

Wish I'd bought more SX and STX reels during that Abu website sale last year.

One reel I really like that can be found, at times, under $80, but usually just under $100

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p

How about a link?

Ebay..$88 shipped
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
I've got Lews, Quantum, Shimano, and Daiwa. The Tatula from Diawa is my favorite reel in that price range. If I had $125 to spend, I would pick the Tatula.

you can get tatula ct's on ebay for 90 bucks brand new shipped and no tax. I find them hard to beat for the money.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

How about a link?

Ebay..$88 shipped

lol didn't see this but yes and can even get them for 80 at times. I have a bunch of them and have used lews and shimano before. Tatula's are great reels for those price points.
Posted By: GROD

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 06:48 PM

You can pick these reels up slightly used too for around 60-65.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
You think Tatula feels cheap and not a Revo SX? Im confused. I have 4 3rd Generation Revo SX and yes they are good reels but they feel cheap compared to the Daiwa Tatula CT and Tatula Type Rs. Now the 2nd Gen Revo SX was a beast. I think Abu was trying to hard to make their reels light weight and really screwed up with the 3rd gen by making the reel more plastic. If I had to choose between the Tatula Type R and the 3rd Gen Revo SX, the Tatula gets the nod every time. Im not sure what the 4th Gen Revos are like though. And by the way you can find the Type R's on eBay for $114.99 right now.

Your crazy... tatula has thinner walls, are almost completely plastic, rattle when they cast(ive had 2 both do it). Feel like a toy compared to all my other reels... that said i have to say it has held up WAAAAY better than i thought it would being plastic, and im a beliver in the twing

Revos feel much more solid in every way to me. I put mine through HECK in college fishing and they have held up... i think i have 4 and of all of them last year was the first time i replaced somthing(a worm gear)... ive had them since 2009

Now that said my favorite is still curado DHSV, last really good curado made imho

To each his own just telling you my exsperience...
Posted By: adam_p

Re: which mid range multi use reel would you buy? - 02/14/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin

How about a link?

Ebay..$88 shipped

again, how about a link. I searched tatula ct on ebay when I saw his post and found nothing that cheap.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum