Texas Fishing Forum

If fishing on a buddies boat...

Posted By: SWH

If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:48 AM

How many combos do you bring? One tackle box?
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:53 AM

At most 5 but usually 3. I use to be the guy that brought 7 or 8 and only used 3 of them.

My tackle bag that I use to jump from boat to boat use to weight maybe 35 pounds. Now its down to 6-7 pounds and I almost never feel like I need something that aint in that bag.

Keep it to a minimum and your buddy will appreciate it. Chances are if your buddy is catching them on something you don't have he will be more than happy to share with you anyway. Catching fish puts people in a sharing mood. grin
Posted By: RW Fred

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:53 AM

Four or five rods. One tackle bag and one bag with lunch and drinks. I use a pack for my tackle. Works good.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:54 AM

3 rods and a day box
Posted By: patriot07

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:54 AM

3-5 depending on what we're doing. 4 would do the job 95% of the time.
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:01 AM

4-5
Posted By: dk2429

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:40 AM

All you need is one and a watermelon red trick worm rigged up Texas rig.. You can only fish with one rod at a time. I've caught more fish with one rod/reel and a soft plastic out of 12ft jon boat than I've ever caught out on my current rig and 10-15 combos! stir
Posted By: GROD

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 05:08 AM

Zero... use his stuff!!
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 05:21 AM

Depends how long you've known him and fished with him/her. Case in point, I took 15 rods and 14 boxes to our last tournament we fished. Thankfully he has the room in his boat, and I used 12 of the rods.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 05:52 AM

Depends on how well u know him like BNKrust said. I've got buddies that fish with we bring whatever we want and make room. Normally we discuss what our plan of attack is and go according to that plan. 99.9% time we bring 6-7 rods each
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 06:07 AM

I don't really care what my buddies bring. Usually 6 combos is good. Medium tackle bag fits under the console. The one thing that they have to bring, is an 18 of miller lite. It fits perfect in the cooler
Posted By: Dubee

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 10:15 AM

Everybody that fishes with me brings 15-20 rods. As much tackle as they want.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 11:39 AM

4-6 depending on how many guys... what lake... etc

most common guy i go with its 6 combos and my tackle box that has 6 full size boxes that go behind passenger seat, and 3 small boces that sit on top of those but fit in there
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 12:54 PM

General rule I take 7 for practice, like to narrow down to 4 for tournament.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
3 rods and a day box

^^^^^^^this and no muddy shoes, red soda water or stink bait thumb peep
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:05 PM

I fish with two different friends and only take 3 rods, I have a small TOGO tackle bag that has a little of this and that. I f I need any other bait I will use there's.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 02:10 PM

3 to 4 rod & reel combos, and a makeshift tackle bag for the day that has a little bit of everything in it.
Posted By: Jtunnell

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:06 PM

My fishing partner brings around 8-10 rods and his whole tackle bag. I’d rather him be prepared than not. You can always find room. It’s never been an issue
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:12 PM

18 pack of Bud Lite
5 rods
one tackle bag
Posted By: the skipper

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Jtunnell
My fishing partner brings around 8-10 rods and his whole tackle bag. I’d rather him be prepared than not. You can always find room. It’s never been an issue

Same here. I keep one box in the back empty for his stuff and he can bring however many rods he wants.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 03:36 PM

I share, they share, we all share. Don't like a junked up boat, everything has a place. If it don't fit leave it at home. Don't spill dip and dye on my boat!!!

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 04:10 PM

And if you pack a fat one dont spit on the side of the boat.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 04:12 PM

4-5 rods and a small tackle bag.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 05:52 PM

360 bag. If I'm fishing as a co in a tournament, I bring 5 rods. If I'm fun fishing with friends or fishing with my partner in the Club, I bring whatever I think I'll need. I brought 9 rods to Palestine last week and threw all of them. I'd rather have it and not need it, than vice versa
Posted By: 96speed

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 06:01 PM

3-4 rods, 3 Plano boxes in my bag, and 4-5 bags soft plastics.

If I'm missing something I'll bum it off my partner. He'd rather me "help" him use up his plastic inventory instead of me bringing my collection on the boat. With that in mind, I don't make a habit of peddling around his compartments all day.

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 08:21 PM

I'll let my buddy use any of my stuff if he wants/needs to. But the rule is- You break it off/lose it, you owe me another one.. That goes for mainly crankbaits, I ain't worried about plastics/spinners too much
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 08:51 PM

My #1 rule is you can use Spike-it at the ramp before boarding i can’t imagine what kind of mess that would be!! As far as everything else if it fits it goes because I might need to bum off my co-angler sometime
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/13/18 08:57 PM

Bring the least you can (I'd rather lend you something if you need it) but make sure the cooler is full with my favorite beer.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/14/18 02:00 AM

Don't overthink it. Take what you need and keep everything out of the way. My standard is 1 bag and 6 rods.
Posted By: toofy

Re: If fishing on a buddies boat... - 02/14/18 04:15 AM

On my boat I bought a pair of these to let anyone fishing with me have more rod storage options:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bac_Rac_Rod_Rac_Version_2/descpage-BCRCV2.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum