Texas Fishing Forum

hope I never need to catch a fish this bad...

Posted By: beartrap

hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 03:54 PM

Takahiro Omori just won the Elite series event on Lake Martin....he had a small spot upriver and one of the photographers reported that after Takahiro would leave each day to go to the weigh-in,one or more of the spectator boats would move in and fish his spot....
this could have easily cost takahiro the tourney...is it ignorance,selfishness or what that would cause a person to fish that spot knowing takahiro would be back the next day....
IMHO we as fishermen need to stay off the lake when top level tours like the elites or FLW is fishing the lake...watch it on your computer or smart TV...
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 03:58 PM

That's funny because I was watching coverage yesterday and they were bragging on the fans and how well they were behaving.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:01 PM

Well, can't just shut the lake down because the pros are fishing a tournament. While I would not fish that spot, once he leaves it is fair game.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: beartrap

IMHO we as fishermen need to stay off the lake when top level tours like the elites or FLW is fishing the lake...watch it on your computer or smart TV...

Millions and millions of fishermen in the world and I promise you a huge majority of them couldn't care less if BASS was in town or a local bass club. Most fishermen aint tournament fishermen and don't care who is or isn't. And they dang sure aint going to stay home because there is a tournament in town. LOL

Yes pot licking a pros spot during the tournament is wrong in my opinion as well, but staying home is a joke.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:04 PM

It's the old question of it being legally right, but is it morally or ethically right?!?! That question can only be answered by the person thinking about doing it. No way would I do it but I'd also never be out there in my boat watching another person fish. smile
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:10 PM

With that being said: all is fine & dandy, BUT, you do HAVE to remember, IF, the guy is NOT a " TOURNAMENT" fisherman, & has bought a license to fish in that state, he has EVERY RIGHT to fish on any given spot. He MAY have actually been being "considerate" if he was a local, doesn't care about "TOURNAMENT" fishing, but was patient to wait till Takahiro left before he fished it. You HAVE to keep this in mind also.
Granted, it most likely wasn't the real situation & was probably exactly what you said. I AGREE with you 100% on you're opinion because I DO fish tournaments & in no way would I want to be the jerk that cost a man the victory or check in a major (or any)tournament like that.
We just have to remember not ALL bass fishermen follow & like the Pro's.
I know several who actually despise it. And they are good, hard working, good fisherman. Tolerance along with common sense is a thing of the past it seems.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:15 PM

I don't need to chase Omori or any other tournament fisherman around to find fish. But if they happen to be on the water at the same time I'm able to get out, I'm not going to treat them any differently than I would any other angler. If someone beats me to a favorite spot, whether they are a tournament guy or not, I'm going to let them have it and then circle back later in the day and take my chances. I'm definitely not concerned with who might be fishing that water tomorrow. I'm not selfish or ignorant, but I'm not going to stay off the water or not fish my milk-run just because the top level tour is in town. I might stay away because of crowds or pressure, but a tour event or any other fishing derby isn't going to automatically keep me off the water.
Posted By: cob

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:26 PM

I wouldn’t fish his spot but what if the guy was a local and fishing the spot long before this tournament? This actually happened at the 79 Classic on Texoma. I was on the lake fishing, went up a creek I had fished for years and found Hank Parker about 1/4 mile up. I watched for about 5 minutes then left. He fished all the tournament in that creek and won. I have wondered if someone had fished behind or after he went in things would have ended differently.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:28 PM

pretty weak imo but happens on every lake and every level. Bent pole pattern is stronger then ever among bass fishermen.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:31 PM

Couldn't care less about the elites or ANY other tourney anglers and their self-appointed right to claim a "spot".
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy
I don't need to chase Omori or any other tournament fisherman around to find fish. But if they happen to be on the water at the same time I'm able to get out, I'm not going to treat them any differently than I would any other angler. If someone beats me to a favorite spot, whether they are a tournament guy or not, I'm going to let them have it and then circle back later in the day and take my chances. I'm definitely not concerned with who might be fishing that water tomorrow. I'm not selfish or ignorant, but I'm not going to stay off the water or not fish my milk-run just because the top level tour is in town. I might stay away because of crowds or pressure, but a tour event or any other fishing derby isn't going to automatically keep me off the water.

Exactly. You bought your boat, licenses, TX #'s, & its YOUR day to fish! You have EVERY right to do so.
Most of what is actually being talked about is following "fans" not thinking forward past the end of their nose. As I said, I ACTUALLY know people who despise big time BASS FISHING. Several who own homes on Toledo Bend & KNOW the lake well. More than one has stated that "BASS ranking them #1 2 years straight" has had as much impact, if not more, than losing grass. Just from the increased pressure.
I can see both sides of the coin & BOTH sides have valid concerns. Death by Media is as real as Death by habitat loss, drought, etc etc.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:38 PM

Borden and I have discussed this at length. Based on who all does it, many here as we have seen first hand. Bent pole potlicking has become an acceptable practice, even a preferred way of finding fish. Hell they should start teaching it a seminars. There are plenty around here that could write a book on it.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
It's the old question of it being legally right, but is it morally or ethically right?!?! That question can only be answered by the person thinking about doing it. No way would I do it but I'd also never be out there in my boat watching another person fish. smile

My thoughts exactly. Never ever been on the water during a BASS event. Been to the weigh-in's but not on the water and would not fish their spots if I did. They're trying to make a living, I wouldn't want one of them bird dogging or watching me on my job.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:44 PM

Public lake, I might go check it out AFTER a tourney but I am a bass fisherman and respect that he is doing this as a job is my justification for not going there while he is there. I recall a comment that if lake were at normal level, that would be dry. Wonder if anyone was fishing it days prior, I think not.

I dang sure dont like the entitlement I see and read about. There was an article about Christie and Hackney, surely written as an attempt to be informative recently but I think the came across as entitled, IMO.

They are not finding anything anyone else has not, just know how to fish it better, I can accept that.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
pretty weak imo but happens on every lake and every level. Bent pole pattern is stronger then ever among bass fishermen.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:47 PM

Takahiro Omori just won the Elite series event on Lake Martin....he had a small spot upriver and one of the photographers reported that after Takahiro would leave each day to go to the weigh-in,one or more of the spectator boats would move in and fish his spot....
this could have easily cost takahiro the tourney...is it ignorance,selfishness or what that would cause a person to fish that spot knowing takahiro would be back the next day....
Pics or it didn't happen, make these guys famous.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:47 PM

just wait till everyone is flying drones...
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 04:59 PM

I got no problem if somebody pulls up to that spot not knowing a pro was fishing it earlier but it does seem pretty ratty to pull up there knowing a pro was relying on it and after having watched him fish it for an extended period of time.

If I see someone on a spot I’m not familiar with that’s down a ways from me I’ll check the area out later after they’ve pulled off just to see what they see and how it might fit in the pattern for the season. I’ll mark it if I like it and move on.
Posted By: Derick Maschmeier

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:02 PM

I bet your opinion would be different if you had $100,000 on the line.
Posted By: 9094

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:04 PM

As long as they arent there when he arrives it is all good. Pulling in after he leaves and fishing would be like trying to find crumbs on the floor after my weiner dog has been there!
Posted By: JDV

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:06 PM

This is what happens when you go too far down any rabbit hole of anything in life... Tournament fishing or their expectations of others who don't fish professionally doesn't even register on the radar of 99.9% of the population, nor should it.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S

+100

Pulling in on a spot where a guy doing it for a living has been catching them is just plain wrong, doesn't matter if you have the "right to" or not. It is just wrong.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:46 PM

It was somebodies spot before it was his spot. Now personally I would let him have it for the duration of the tournament if it was one of my areas but I don't expect everyone to do as I would do. I would agree that the spot jumpers have no conscience but unfortunately it is not a crime to be an ***hole although maybe it should be. At the end of the day I don't think they get to worked up about it because it is an issue they have to put up with daily whether tournamnent, guiding, or just fun fishing. Those wraps are bullseyes for spot jumpers. Had an elite tell me that he should buy a second unwrapped boat for any fishing outside tournaments due to this.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:50 PM

a lot have multiple boats.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

+100

Pulling in on a spot where a guy doing it for a living has been catching them is just plain wrong, doesn't matter if you have the "right to" or not. It is just wrong.

Agree 100%.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 06:05 PM

+100

Come on man,..shows complete lack of class, wait til the tournament is over.

realmad
Posted By: Barrett

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 06:14 PM

Yall should get into public lake duck hunting. I got into it this year and its hilarious. You think bass fishermen are bad? Duck hunters are 100 times worse. They actually call poaching someone elses spot/bent hole pattern "scouting." They don't look for ducks they look for footprints, brush blinds, old shells, feathers, wads you name it! Had a guy get to a spot at 3 am just because he quote unquote "knew we wouldn't be there that early and he had seen us kill them there"
Posted By: Chris G

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 06:18 PM

Yall should get into public lake duck hunting. I got into it this year and its hilarious. You think bass fishermen are bad? Duck hunters are 100 times worse. They actually call poaching someone elses spot/bent hole pattern "scouting." They don't look for ducks they look for footprints, brush blinds, old shells, feathers, wads you name it! Had a guy get to a spot at 3 am just because he quote unquote "knew we wouldn't be there that early and he had seen us kill them there"

Hahaha Barrett, the great white duck hunter!! This is EXACTLY why I stopped duck hunting public lakes and now only hunt private land with ponds. Leave the decoys out the day before and stroll into the blind about 6:30 then start shooting at safe light. The right pond will bring you a huge variety off species too.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 06:21 PM

the term is "boom scouting" and its used quite a lot thumb
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 06:46 PM

Everyone has the rights to fish as they please but not everyone is considerate of others...
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 07:07 PM

How much did Tak pay someone for that spot? stir Guessing that spot "belonged" to someone else before he started fishing it.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 07:16 PM

They might have been employed by KVD on the side. bolt
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 07:22 PM

This topic remines me of the arguements last year when the Classic was on Lake Conroe. There were 2 long standing tournaments held during the week leading up to the big event and each started after the pros had cleared out from their practice rounds and yes some of the same spots were fished by locals.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Funny choice of words, "milk run". That's exactly what Tak was running. Each day.

Did anyone ever hear or see him catch an add off the rip rap under the bridge?

If I was following a guy fishing, I wouldn't fish their spot that day, or the next...but a week later or so I would definitely throw on it or graph it.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 08:09 PM

+100

Yep happens everyday on Lake Fork. What has always amazed me is how every guide is able to drive around and follow every other guide to see where they are fishing. The guides fight over spots on fork. The real truth their is only about two to three guides that are worth following the rest are a waste of time to follow. They will only lead you back to the first two or three any way, its best to cut out the middle man and just follow the first two or three. LOL

I was accused one time by a person of following him around the lake for the previous three weeks and getting his spots beat down. I sent him a text and showed him a copy of my flight ticket and where I had just gotten back into town about three hours earlier in the day and had been gone for three months and hadn't been on the lake in at least three months. I asked him to take a picture of the guy in my boat next time so I could call the police. He didn't bother me any more. I think a lot of people just see a boat from a distance and assume they know who it is. These are public lakes bought by the most part by tax money and everyone has the right to fish any spot anytime. I do not believe their is any such thing as a private spot in today's world with the graphs and mapping systems we have now. You can go on Navionics at home and fine most every spot you want to fish with out ever being on a lake if you know the pattern and you will be close enough to fine them on your graph when you get there. The only thing that separates these pro's is they can fine them way faster then most of us and they know how to catch fish much better then us and the one other thing is they know which spot is producing and what time of day to be there. just my .02
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 10:09 PM

I wouldn't have fished Tak's spot during the tournament.. but today.. I would have been on it!.. red square bill in hand.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Millions and millions of fishermen in the world and I promise you a huge majority of them couldn't care less if BASS was in town or a local bass club. Most fishermen aint tournament fishermen and don't care who is or isn't. And they dang sure aint going to stay home because there is a tournament in town. LOL

Yes pot licking a pros spot during the tournament is wrong in my opinion as well, but staying home is a joke.

+ 1

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 10:51 PM

Far as I can tell it just goes with the occupation they chose . Deal with it .
Posted By: J Rankin

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/12/18 11:32 PM

I was riding with Dave lafebra and some locals came right in on him as he was still fishing.it was championship Sunday . he was throwing a c-rig and they were throwing crank baits and crossed lines
Posted By: Stroker XS

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 02:29 AM

I’ve been to a few bass and flw events including a classic and I don’t think I ever put a lure in the water.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 03:47 AM

Those people will always suck at fishing because all they will ever learn is pot licking techniques. They’re not intelligent enough to learn the seasonal patterns and pattern fish on their own. They’ll always be “spot” fishermen at best. Amazing how most of the pros deal with it. Anyway they catch fish most wouldn’t.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 04:52 AM

I think some of it is jealousy. The pros are just doing their job. Just like most of you get up and go to work to do your job. Just so happens their job is your hobby. That’s their lively hood, why would you want to do someone like that other than pure jealousy and to be a prick? I understand the lake doesn’t shut down for pros, I get that, t but they don’t come to your place of employment busting your balls either.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 01:39 PM

First off I would not do that but from now on I am going to mark my spots and everyone better stay out of them....

Am I supposed to stay off the highway because there are truck drivers on it?
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jackson_ranger

Thank you, this is the exact analogy I was thinking of reading this thread. Can someone tell me the time line that I should adhere to before going back to fish a spot once an Elite has left it? Am I supposed to assume that they are going to come back everyday to the same spot. If they leave that spot mid day to go to another spot should I assume they will be back later.

Just to clarify, am I only allowed to fish a spot if I find it first before anyone else has ever fished it? Or is it only once I see someone else catch fish there that it becomes off limits and I can not fish it any more? Some of you guys and your "pot-licking" complaints are ridiculous. Are you telling me you haven't ever fished a spot after you witnessed someone else catch a fish there? And if you have, what the hell makes you consider the elites feelings before the other persons feelings when you choose to fish that spot?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cob
I wouldn’t fish his spot but what if the guy was a local and fishing the spot long before this tournament? This actually happened at the 79 Classic on Texoma. I was on the lake fishing, went up a creek I had fished for years and found Hank Parker about 1/4 mile up. I watched for about 5 minutes then left. He fished all the tournament in that creek and won. I have wondered if someone had fished behind or after he went in things would have ended differently.

What creek was he fishing if you don't mind me asking?

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 04:10 PM

First off I would not do that but from now on I am going to mark my spots and everyone better stay out of them....

lol, exactly. What're you on, a joyride here Junior? OFF THE ROAD, AMATEUR! laugh
Some people take themselves too seriously.
Posted By: JeffLStevens

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 04:39 PM

I think the difference is whether you have a significant amount of respect for these guys doing what most of us have always dreamed of doing. A lot of fishermen have watched the pro's for years and know the sacrifices they have made to do what they love to do. A lot of fishermen are jealous of the pro's being able to do it and therefore do not respect them at all. And then there are probably a lot that really just don't know or understand it at all. Those guys are on the water on a given lake for 4 days out of the year in a tournament. If you can't give them the space to do what they do for 4 days, that is a pretty good indication of the type of person that you are.
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 04:55 PM

Wonder if that guy was wearing out his spot for the benefit of another angler?

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JeffLStevens
I think the difference is whether you have a significant amount of respect for these guys doing what most of us have always dreamed of doing. A lot of fishermen have watched the pro's for years and know the sacrifices they have made to do what they love to do. A lot of fishermen are jealous of the pro's being able to do it and therefore do not respect them at all. And then there are probably a lot that really just don't know or understand it at all. Those guys are on the water on a given lake for 4 days out of the year in a tournament. If you can't give them the space to do what they do for 4 days, that is a pretty good indication of the type of person that you are.

Truth!

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

Thank you, this is the exact analogy I was thinking of reading this thread. Can someone tell me the time line that I should adhere to before going back to fish a spot once an Elite has left it? Am I supposed to assume that they are going to come back everyday to the same spot. If they leave that spot mid day to go to another spot should I assume they will be back later.

Just to clarify, am I only allowed to fish a spot if I find it first before anyone else has ever fished it? Or is it only once I see someone else catch fish there that it becomes off limits and I can not fish it any more? Some of you guys and your "pot-licking" complaints are ridiculous. Are you telling me you haven't ever fished a spot after you witnessed someone else catch a fish there? And if you have, what the hell makes you consider the elites feelings before the other persons feelings when you choose to fish that spot?

First off this is a terrible analogy guys. My father was a long haul trucker his entire life. You are not taking money from the truckers pocket by driving down the same stretch of road he is on. Dumb comparison.

If you knowingly sit back and watch someone else catch fish from a spot, pro or not, then go fish the spot after they leave, you know what you are doing is wrong. Whether you will admit it or not. It is just plain wrong.

If you can justify doing it by saying, "I own a fishing license" or "I pay my taxes" or "He doesn't have a deed to this spot" then by all means, Do it. I have no respect for anyone that does this but you ultimately "have the right to fish anywhere you choose".

Just because "you have the right", doesn't make it right and you guys know it.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 05:43 PM

I like you Ken A, and have appreciated a lot of your posts, but if you think these Elites arent watching other boaters while they are on the water then you are wrong. They have "4 days" to find the fish on a lake and they will see where others are trying to find those fish.

You can hold yourself to whatever standard you want, but I will still sleep at night regardless of your level of respect for me. It is getting to the point where some of you guys are going to have to stop fishing all together since all the spots on the lake are going to be reserved by the guides and tournament anglers. Us lowly fun fishers only have the dead areas of the lake to work with now.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 05:55 PM

First off this is a terrible analogy guys. My father was a long haul trucker his entire life. You are not taking money from the truckers pocket by driving down the same stretch of road he is on. Dumb comparison.

If you knowingly sit back and watch someone else catch fish from a spot, pro or not, then go fish the spot after they leave, you know what you are doing is wrong. Whether you will admit it or not. It is just plain wrong.

If you can justify doing it by saying, "I own a fishing license" or "I pay my taxes" or "He doesn't have a deed to this spot" then by all means, Do it. I have no respect for anyone that does this but you ultimately "have the right to fish anywhere you choose".

As for it being a dumb analogy - maybe you can refresh my memory on where Tak ended up and how much money he lost because someone fished his spot AFTER he was done with it. And you think your dad didn't waste diesel and time being stuck in traffic because there were other cars on the road?

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 06:02 PM

Truth!

Really, and what if those are the only 4 days I can get out that month? I am supposed to avoid all the good spots because somebody else is trying to make a living. This is absolutely ridiculous and there is no way I am going to sacrifice my 4 days on the lake just because they are there.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 06:23 PM

As for it being a dumb analogy - maybe you can refresh my memory on where Tak ended up and how much money he lost because someone fished his spot AFTER he was done with it. And you think your dad didn't waste diesel and time being stuck in traffic because there were other cars on the road?

It is a well know fact that spectator boats cost KVD the 2008 classic. That was $500k

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 06:24 PM

Man we need a warming trend! All of us are getting cabin fever and need to go fish! grin

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p

It is a well know fact that spectator boats cost KVD the 2008 classic. That was $500k

So you are saying that sometimes it will have an affect and sometimes it wont? Kind of like when sometimes there is traffic on the roads and sometimes there isn't?

Also (I dont follow the elites so this is an honest question) was what happened in 2008 a result of a spectator boat fishing KVD's spot AFTER he left it? or was it from the spectators messing up his spot while he was fishing it?
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 06:49 PM

I like you Ken A, and have appreciated a lot of your posts, but if you think these Elites arent watching other boaters while they are on the water then you are wrong. They have "4 days" to find the fish on a lake and they will see where others are trying to find those fish.

You can hold yourself to whatever standard you want, but I will still sleep at night regardless of your level of respect for me. It is getting to the point where some of you guys are going to have to stop fishing all together since all the spots on the lake are going to be reserved by the guides and tournament anglers. Us lonely fun fishers only have the dead areas of the lake to work with now.

Baseball and football players watch games all of the time studying other players weaknesses to gain a competitive edge. If I was professionally fishing, dang right I’d watch others. Nature of the business I suppose when it feeds your family.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:13 PM

Ken, being a former professional and successful guide you understand that a lot of people just do not have the intellect or knowledge to find fish and many don't understand how to catch them when they do so they look for other peoples spots including guides and professional fishermen. Instead of hiring someone to teach them how to locate fish, learn the seasonal habits and learn how to use their electronics they drive around and watch the guides or see someone boat a fish and wait for them to leave. Tak's spot where he caught most of his fish did play out and he ended up having to leave it and find another spot. Did those guys that fished the spot the day before have an affect on it ? Maybe, we'll never know for sure and they probably could care less. I would have to think they are part of the bunch I mentioned in my first sentence. I have paid for lessons on both how to find fish, how to catch them and also paid to learn how to use my electronics. I don't believe I would have caught that 14 lb'er without that knowledge and yes I found that spot on my own.
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:16 PM

I
Are you sure about that? I mean I would be willing to bet "most of the fishermen" that go follow the pros around the lake are indeed tournament anglers. I for one know very few people who have a bass boat who do not fish tournaments. Are there some sure but I would love to see the true numbers.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:27 PM

If there are only 4 days of a year that you get to fish and there is only one lake that you can fish and those 4 days just happen to be on the same 4 days that the Elites are there......I seriously doubt you have much of a chance of doing any damage to the fish.

Again, your attempt to "reach" for a reason to justify your actions is a clear indication that you know it is wrong. Not much more needs to be said than your lame excuse for why you could justify it.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:39 PM

If there are only 4 days of a year that you get to fish and there is only one lake that you can fish and those 4 days just happen to be on the same 4 days that the Elites are there......I seriously doubt you have much of a chance of doing any damage to the fish.

Again, your attempt to "reach" for a reason to justify your actions is a clear indication that you know it is wrong. Not much more needs to be said than your lame excuse for why you could justify it.

Just giving an example, but you can act like a martyr because you avoid their spots. I am not saying I would just go wait for them to get off the spot and then go hit it, but I sure in heck am not going to throw away my days to appease them. I am not reaching for anything other than to say you are moronic to throw away your whole day because the elites just happen to be there that day.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:47 PM

The post is about following an Elite and then fishing the spot that he was fishing when he leaves or getting up early the next morning and being on it when he gets there. It's about respecting what someone is doing for a living.....that is all. As I said, if you can justify pulling in on a pro's spot just because they left it and believe that it is ok to do that.....there is nothing that anyone on here is going to say that will change your mind. Most peoples character was developed long before they started fishing.....the "freedom" on the water to do what you want just allows that character to be seen by others.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:53 PM

is today the winter solstice? its easy yall. if you are on a public body of water during a professional tournament, there a few things to consider. if you have a good spot, you need to get there first. if you come up on your spot and someone is tere go somewhere else. if you are on fish and a pro approaches, then you have choices. your on your fish on a public lake so it is your spot to do what you choose. if I was in a smaller tourney, im staying. if im fishing for food, im staying. if im fishing for fun, ill waive em in and sit back and watch. and hopefully learn something. whatever the choice, just be polite and enjoy the day.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 07:56 PM

This post is so ironic. Tak used to jump other guide's deep holes on Fork all the time. I've witnessed it first hand. There are VERY few guides on Fork who haven't fished spots they saw other guides on. Like NONE.

But no, I do not fish nor would I ever jump a pro's spot during a tournament.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:04 PM

Elite anglers, and myself included ( so that covers ALL anglers from the top to the bottom grin), SURELY watch other anglers. It's natural. Especially the guy with money on the line. Natural instinct is to want to know how you're stacking up. The guys with money on the line have something to prove. That they are better than the others. They(we/I) have to know what the other is doing.

In my area, I can often predict what other guys are doing, what they HAVE done, and what they're gonna do. I have observed them on the lakes I fish for years. Elites do it to. Ever watch MLF and hear the guy say,"man...I betcha so and so is flipping", or "so and so is drop shotting"? Sure you have. Because they watch the others all the time. Enough to know what they are likely doing and when!

So does that make em "pot lickers"? Nope. It makes them observant.

If they start running in on your area, WHILE YOUR FISHING AND CATCJING, then THAT would be pot licking or just stupidity. If they wait till I leave, I ain't mad at em. If I wait for them to leave, they shouldn't be mad at me.

For someone to think they have a magic spot that nobody has ever fished is pretty naive. ....and stupid......

See y'all at the lake.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:08 PM

The post is about following an Elite and then fishing the spot that he was fishing when he leaves or getting up early the next morning and being on it when he gets there. It's about respecting what someone is doing for a living.....that is all. As I said, if you can justify pulling in on a pro's spot just because they left it and believe that it is ok to do that.....there is nothing that anyone on here is going to say that will change your mind. Most peoples character was developed long before they started fishing.....the "freedom" on the water to do what you want just allows that character to be seen by others.

"Most peoples character was developed long before they started fishing"

Couldn't have said it any better Jeff. thumb
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:10 PM

Just because something is legally right, doesn’t mean you should do it. I can legally go jump I’m freezing water, doesn’t mean I should. Working the bent pole pattern is a garbage way for a bad fisherman to get his line stretched. No one is saying you have to stay off the water when a big tournament is present. Just have a little consideration for the guys making a living at something we all love and wish we could.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:11 PM

The schedule is announced with plenty of notice...even if you’re not a fan or don’t follow the professional tours, you know well in advance if they’re coming to “your” lake. To not let them have it for 4 days, in my opinion, shows pettiness, a lack of respect, lack of class, and a bit of jealously of the folks who have the talent, drive, and resources to make a living at something you do as hobby.

I find it weird that there’s an outlier group of amateurs with so much disdain for the professionals in a given sport. Can anyone think of examples of this in other sports?

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711

You can hold yourself to whatever standard you want, but I will still sleep at night regardless of your level of respect for me. It is getting to the point where some of you guys are going to have to stop fishing all together since all the spots on the lake are going to be reserved by the guides and tournament anglers. Us lonely fun fishers only have the dead areas of the lake to work with now.

Baseball and football players watch games all of the time studying other players weaknesses to gain a competitive edge. If I was professionally fishing, dang right I’d watch others. Nature of the business I suppose when it feeds your family.

If you go back to the OP: "Takahiro Omori just won the Elite series event on Lake Martin....he had a small spot upriver and one of the photographers reported that after Takahiro would leave each day to go to the weigh-in,one or more of the spectator boats would move in and fish his spot....
IMHO we as fishermen need to stay off the lake when top level tours like the elites or FLW is fishing the lake...watch it on your computer or smart TV"

Watching someone do it and moving in on the very spot where you had been seeing him catch his fish to fish for them are two totally different things.

I hope we can at least agree on that.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:26 PM

AMEN TO THIS!!! thumb

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:31 PM

I feel like the original post has been lost by page 5. Everyone is aware we are talking about a person who fished Tak's spot AFTER - thats AFTER - he left for the day right. No one is talking about fishing while he was fishing it, or even showing up the next morning before Tak could get there and fishing it. I would never get close to another boat on the water when they are fishing, but when they are done I dont feel the need to stay off that spot for the next "4 days".

I have to wonder what job some of you have that you are so courteous to the pro's because they are doing their job. I can tell you that I dont feel like other people are thinking of my work and their affects to it when I leave for the day. Maybe someone can let me know when it is ok for me to put myself first since it obviously isnt AFTER - AFTER - AFTER another person has left for the day.

I will say again that these Elites you are so respectful of will watch you on the lake and move in on your spot when you leave. It doesnt mean that they have "disdain" for you.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:48 PM

I feel like the original post has been lost by page 5. Everyone is aware we are talking about a person who fished Tak's spot AFTER - thats AFTER - he left for the day right. No one is talking about fishing while he was fishing it, or even showing up the next morning before Tak could get there and fishing it. I would never get close to another boat on the water when they are fishing, but when they are done I dont feel the need to stay off that spot for the next "4 days".

I have to wonder what job some of you have that you are so courteous to the pro's because they are doing their job. I can tell you that I dont feel like other people are thinking of my work and their affects to it when I leave for the day. Maybe someone can let me know when it is ok for me to put myself first since it obviously isnt AFTER - AFTER - AFTER another person has left for the day.

I will say again that these Elites you are so respectful of will watch you on the lake and move in on your spot when you leave. It doesnt mean that they have "disdain" for you.

I think our TFF screen names say a lot about who we are. In this case I believe yours to be appropriate.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:54 PM

I think our TFF screen names say a lot about who we are. In this case I believe yours to be appropriate.

Just the first name Ken. thumb

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 08:58 PM

Fair enough Mr. Holly Roller. I hope that one day I can live up to your standards. Must be a nice view from your pedestal up there.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:09 PM

[quote=Shallow Waters][quote=jackson_ranger]

The Chicago Bulls don't play their games in the park and expect everybody else to not play basketball there all week so they can come back and practice and play again the next day. If they want to hold tournaments on private water, then by all means, they have a legitimate grievance.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:11 PM

bow_down ^^^^^^

grin just playing! Lets go fishing! grin

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:22 PM

If there were only so many points that could be made in a week on a basketball court on each goal, you can bet your [censored] they wouldn't let others play during the week before a game. Some of the examples here are REALLY reaching.....again, a good indication of people's thought process.....or lack there of

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:24 PM

Fair enough Mr. Holly Roller. I hope that one day I can live up to your standards. Must be a nice view from your pedestal up there.

No pedastal here. Just pointing out the obvious.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:26 PM

The difference is when another pro in most sports or most people doing their job you can not influence what they are doing like fishing. I guess if I am a pro baseball player not just everyone can come in my place and hit a 100 MPH fast ball. I think most all of us if we sit around and watch a pro fisherman fish a spot, can figure out how to catch those same fish. We will sore mouth them were the pro can not come back the next day and win a tournament he needs to win to feed his family. The difference is a person gets the inside on where and what these pros or doing to catch fish that you will not get from watching a football game or soccer because most of us where never good enough to play pro sports we just wish we where and no matter how much we watch it we will never do what they are doing. We can watch a pro fisherman enough to catch the fish he is catching and where to catch them and what time of day the same with guides. I guess from my stand point BIG difference in fishing pro's and other sports and business men doing their job. just my .02

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:26 PM

If there were only so many points that could be made in a week on a basketball court on each goal, you can bet your [censored] they wouldn't let others play during the week before a game. Some of the examples here are REALLY reaching.....again, a good indication of people's thought process.....or lack there of

Seriously! These guys are comparing an Apple to a Freaking Pinecone and wonder why folks have a hard time agreeing with them. bang
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:29 PM

Spot on Jeff! thumb

I personally enjoy the challenge of finding my own fish and figuring out how to get them in the boat. When you win, and you know 100% that you did it completely on your own, it's much better IMO. Everyone is different though, that's for sure.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
Just because something is legally right, doesn’t mean you should do it. I can legally go jump I’m freezing water, doesn’t mean I should. Working the bent pole pattern is a garbage way for a bad fisherman to get his line stretched. No one is saying you have to stay off the water when a big tournament is present. Just have a little consideration for the guys making a living at something we all love and wish we could.

This is what it's all about, said very well! Just because it is legal for me to open a door and walk in ahead of an elderly woman, doesn't mean it is the "right thing to do". We need to be courteous and considerate of others.

Knowing Tak is returning to the spot the next morning, no way a person should fish it after he leaves. You can, but it's a lack of consideration for the guy. Fish the spot after the tournament is over. The fact that there is controversy on this topic is very disappointing.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:44 PM

If there is a huge tournament on the lake and I stay off of it, it's because they will interfere with MY fishing, not me with theirs. I'm not responsible for others' career choices.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

The difference is when another pro in most sports or most people doing their job you can not influence what they are doing like fishing. I guess if I am a pro baseball player not just everyone can come in my place and hit a 100 MPH fast ball. I think most all of us if we sit around and watch a pro fisherman fish a spot, can figure out how to catch those same fish. We will sore mouth them were the pro can not come back the next day and win a tournament he needs to win to feed his family. The difference is a person gets the inside on where and what these pros or doing to catch fish that you will not get from watching a football game or soccer because most of us where never good enough to play pro sports we just wish we where and no matter how much we watch it we will never do what they are doing. We can watch a pro fisherman enough to catch the fish he is catching and where to catch them and what time of day the same with guides. I guess from my stand point BIG difference in fishing pro's and other sports and business men doing their job. just my .02

Fair enough, and a valid argument, thank you for not just resorting to name calling and bullying like the old timers on here that think every should be like minded.

I would say this though, if the argument is that everyone can replicate what the Pro Fisherman is doing after watching them, then why arent we all good enough to be Pro's. I believe there is something these guys do, and figure out, that make them that much better then me at catching fish. This seems like a good example because it didnt actually keep Tak from catching fish the next day. It would be like me hitting a fast ball, but not a 100 MPH fast ball. Every now and then, if i close my eyes and just swing across the plate then I might connect with a 100 MPH fastball, but it isnt likely.

And as for the business men doing their job, it was everyone else on here that kept saying this was the Pro Fisherman's job and how he feeds his family, does that not make it their business?

And thank you to Ken for continuing to respond with no argument of your own, and you too Gig'em for piggy backing.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:02 PM

And thank you to Ken for continue to respond with no argument of you own, and you too Gig'em for piggy backing.

No problem Shallow..

Still trying to figure out what a Holly Roller is....

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:10 PM

Your good people Ken, I actually do typically like your posts and appreciate your experience and knowledge. Thank you for giving me a lesson in grammar as well, I will be sure to proof read next time.

I think I can honestly say, I hope to fish behind you one day thumb roflmao

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:19 PM

Your good people Ken, I actually do typically like your posts and appreciate your experience and knowledge. Thank you for giving me a lesson in grammar as well, I will be sure to proof read next time.

I think I can honestly say, I hope to fish behind you one day thumb roflmao

It's all good Shallow. If we all agreed on every single thing, it would be a pretty boring life indeed.
Now we both know what side of the argument we stand. thumb

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:28 PM

Fair enough, and a valid argument, thank you for not just resorting to name calling and bullying like the old timers on here that think every should be like minded.

I would say this though, if the argument is that everyone can replicate what the Pro Fisherman is doing after watching them, then why arent we all good enough to be Pro's. I believe there is something these guys do, and figure out, that make them that much better then me at catching fish. This seems like a good example because it didnt actually keep Tak from catching fish the next day. It would be like me hitting a fast ball, but not a 100 MPH fast ball. Every now and then, if i close my eyes and just swing across the plate then I might connect with a 100 MPH fastball, but it isnt likely.

And as for the business men doing their job, it was everyone else on here that kept saying this was the Pro Fisherman's job and how he feeds his family, does that not make it their business?

And thank you to Ken for continuing to respond with no argument of your own, and you too Gig'em for piggy backing.

You're welcome dude anytime, Ken just beat me to it. Let's face it, you got surrounded like General Custer. You want an argument for my point of view, here you go. No other sport allows spectators on the field of play except professional fishing. Those who do follow these pro's while they try to make a living do so for various reasons, some just to observe but others want to catch their fish and therein could change the outcome of the tournament which in my mind is flat out wrong. These guys fishing Tak's spot after he left for the day reminds me of Steve Bartman. If the name doesn't ring a bell google it. Because he interfered in a MLB championship game it most likely caused the Chicago Cubs a World Championship. Things turned out different for Tak because he had such a big lead going into the final day but it could have turned out much different. Tak had been in a slump and really needed and deserved the win. I won't make any excuses for you or anyone else who thinks it's ok to interfere in any sport. Just because they legally let you on their playing field doesn't give anyone the right to interfere in their business and possibly change the outcome. If you're feeling frisky and want to get it on with the pro's jump onto the field the next time the Cowboy's play. thumb

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
If you're feeling frisky and want to get it on with the pro's jump onto the field the next time the Cowboy's play. thumb

No thanks, but I may throw the ball around down on the field after the game.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 10:55 PM

"hope I never need to catch a fish this bad" was title of my original post...6 pages and 88 replies later,I still haven't seen any argument or reason that would make me go fish a spot behind any pro in a situation similar to takahiros...
actually unless I had promised a child that I would take them fishing during the tournament and I had no other choice of lakes,I wouldn't put my boat in the water during an elite event...and if I had to be on that lake,I'd stay as far away from any contestant as possible....

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 11:12 PM

If you're feeling frisky and want to get it on with the pro's jump onto the field the next time the Cowboy's play. thumb

Go ahead, hope I'm there to watch when the security guards chase you, lol, but I get your point. difference is the game is over. The game wasn't over when those guys got on Tak's field. Look, you do what you feel like doing and you will not get arrested for fishing their spots before, during or after the day is over. Just hope it doesn't change the outcome. Uh oh time to go dinner is ready. Have a goodun. Later tater.
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 11:14 PM

I mentioned this earlier, it is quite possible the person coming in behind the pro and wearing out his spot, may have been doing it intentionally, to intentionally ruin the prosperity of it possibly for the next day, maybe this guy was a fan of some other angler in the top 5? Anything is possible.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 11:31 PM

Go ahead, hope I'm there to watch when the security guards chase you, lol, but I get your point. difference is the game is over. The game wasn't over when those guys got on Tak's field. Look, you do what you feel like doing and you will not get arrested for fishing their spots before, during or after the day is over. Just hope it doesn't change the outcome. Uh oh time to go dinner is ready. Have a goodun. Later tater.

Got it, and fair point about it not being over in your eyes. I would never be on the lake during an elite event and wouldn't be in this situation, but I also wouldn't expect people not fish an area because I was there for the next 4 days.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/13/18 11:40 PM

You're welcome dude anytime, Ken just beat me to it. Let's face it, you got surrounded like General Custer. You want an argument for my point of view, here you go. No other sport allows spectators on the field of play except professional fishing. Those who do follow these pro's while they try to make a living do so for various reasons, some just to observe but others want to catch their fish and therein could change the outcome of the tournament which in my mind is flat out wrong. These guys fishing Tak's spot after he left for the day reminds me of Steve Bartman. If the name doesn't ring a bell google it. Because he interfered in a MLB championship game it most likely caused the Chicago Cubs a World Championship. Things turned out different for Tak because he had such a big lead going into the final day but it could have turned out much different. Tak had been in a slump and really needed and deserved the win. I won't make any excuses for you or anyone else who thinks it's ok to interfere in any sport. Just because they legally let you on their playing field doesn't give anyone the right to interfere in their business and possibly change the outcome. If you're feeling frisky and want to get it on with the pro's jump onto the field the next time the Cowboy's play. thumb

These guys are fishing public lakes get over it . Most people could care less about any of this.
J D stir

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 12:42 AM

Someone a couple pages back said that they personally witnessed Tak poaching guides holes on Fork. Shouldn’t the same standard apply to them also. The pros can’t complain about something they practice just because they are on the short end of it.Not a tourney but still possibly affecting the guides livelihood by pressuring his spots. Maybe he was just getting what he gives. Can’t be stopped so why get worked up about it.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
Someone a couple pages back said that they personally witnessed Tak poaching guides holes on Fork. Shouldn’t the same standard apply to them also. The pros can’t complain about something they practice just because they are on the short end of it.Not a tourney but still possibly affecting the guides livelihood by pressuring his spots. Maybe he was just getting what he gives. Can’t be stopped so why get worked up about it.

People can accuse anyone of anything, unless he can prove it it didn't happen. Believe nothing you hear or read and only half of what you see.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 12:50 AM

wopics

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
wopics

Getting to be like an old woman's quilting party huh.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
wopics

Getting to be like an old woman's quilting party huh.

You offended my wife.

Jk.

......my only question on this story.

Why? Why would you fish the spot? Obviously tak had worn it out. I'm sure they didn't get bit one freakin time.

I did see the one boater with the super high powered lens on his camera. That would be fun. Seeing exactly what baits were used, etc.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 03:24 AM

Don’t know if it’s true or not and don’t really care. Man said he had first hand account. If you want to call him out as a liar that’s on you. Just pointing out that there is a flip side to this thread. Just because these guys are pros don’t mean they all act right. Maybe Tak did maybe he didn’t. Maybe he was wronged or maybe he got what was coming. I’m not judging one way or the other. We choose our professions and all the BS that comes with it. Pro Bass Anglers and guides get followed and have their spots jumped. Part of their BS just deal with it and move on. Like I said it can’t be stopped so why waste energy on it.
Posted By: Stew

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 04:43 AM

It’s called the Golden Rule...it’s really just that simple.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/14/18 06:02 AM

Here is an example... IBM was making computers and operating systems. Folks like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates watched them catch fish, then came in on their spot and poached....

It happens in industry (build a better widget) all the time. They may not come to your specific job, but they compete on the lake in your spot when you were there first. roflmao

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/15/18 10:47 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: eagle 2
I mentioned this earlier, it is quite possible the person coming in behind the pro and wearing out his spot, may have been doing it intentionally, to intentionally ruin the prosperity of it possibly for the next day, maybe this guy was a fan of some other angler in the top 5? Anything is possible.

Also possible it was a Tak fan who swooped in to fake fish and protect the spot from others - we’ll never know. For me I love to read about the pros and all they do but if I know there is s big tourney of any kind I am going somewhere else. I think a lot of guys follow but don’t fish but always seems to hear of the followers getting in too close ... I can’t imagine sittin’ In the boat safely out of the way watching a pro fish. All that said we all end up on a lake where a tourney is going on, just the way it is, respect others, give the other guy plenty of space and hope for the best.
Posted By: Chet

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 05:15 PM

These threads always make me smile. If some one is on your spot on fork and you come back by an hour later and they're gone you're probably going to make a cast or two to see if they caught them. You do this because it's not their spot. The day of a tourney there are going to be folks fishing because it's the day they can fish. If they see KVD on "their" spot whether they know who KVD is or not they may hit if he leaves. No moral issue, it's just another day on the water to them. If tourney entrants haven't learned to live with this they have a hard road ahead. You people who get all tight in the fanny over this need to remember that 99% of the folks who fish don't fish tourneys and don't care if you do. de
Posted By: MurraynTx

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 09:38 PM

So your telling me I shouldn't fish the lake I live on on the weekends and it belongs to the pro's?
Posted By: Chet

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 10:17 PM

That's what they're sayin.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MurraynTx

So your telling me I shouldn't fish the lake I live on on the weekends and it belongs to the pro's?

appears thats what some imply
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 10:51 PM

80-90% probably

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 11:08 PM

I don't know Mr. Jeff L Stevens but if I ever meet him I am going to buy him the biggest steak on the menu.

He gets it. thumb
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/17/18 11:10 PM

Sure was a lot of condescending tone in here sarcastic

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/18/18 12:05 AM

I don't know Mr. Jeff L Stevens but if I ever meet him I am going to buy him the biggest steak on the menu.

He gets it. thumb

I'll buy the drinks.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/18/18 12:28 AM

He gets it. thumb

I'll buy the drinks.

I will slide up close to you guys....and when y'all leave, I'll have what y'all had.

bolt

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/18/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

I will slide up close to you guys....and when y'all leave, I'll have what y'all had.

bolt

Tom said you were okay in his book Steez. Your are welcome anytime. thumb
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/18/18 01:28 AM

I don't recall Takahiro Omori making my Boat Payment or asking me when I was planning to go fishing. And who said I like Takahiro flying by me doing 80mph in a 21 footer with a 300 hp . Also, should I not get a chicken fry at the local greasy spoon because Takahiro needs to eat. You can armchair fish while elites or FLW are fishing but you'll probably get a reel lite bite. Tight lines
Posted By: PettyBigBass

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/18/18 01:11 PM

The reason I prefer bass fishing over deer hunting is that you have to buy a nice deer nowadays. They put up the high fence and lock the deer in and lock the people out because it's all about the money. I have had a couple of tense situations with a particular guide on fork back in the day. He would push up close and declare this was his spot because " he made a living" on the lake.

My opinion is that the lake belongs to the taxpayers. I bet that guide never paid taxs on the cash he was paid. This leads me to the topic at hand. I personally would not slide in on the spot after the pro left but, it the right of any tax payer to fish where he wants on OUR lake. I'm sure some of the guys who "make a living" on OUR lake would be dragging floating high fences and putting them over the prime spots and charging to enter if they had the option.

We all have the same odds in this sport, we can fish in front of or behind anybody and it may or may not affect the other guy. That's part of the fishing competition, dealing with human beings not just bass.

i don't mean to offend the guide community. I respect them, and the service they provide, but the pros and the guides are using public property to make a living. The good ones can still perform even after others have fished it because they are pros. Just making the point that greed will always be a factor, until I get my fence around lake fork and keep it all to my self! banana
Posted By: SeminoleWindCat

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/20/18 05:58 PM

Best post of the lot.
Posted By: SeminoleWindCat

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/20/18 06:01 PM

cheers
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/20/18 06:36 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/bryan-brasher/world-could-learn-lot-lake-martin-spectators
Posted By: fosterfence

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/21/18 02:52 AM

I believe if you are folllowing the big boys to learn or spectate, then leave it alone. But, if it were because tournaments were going on, then a weekend angler could never fish Rayburn again. Lol.
Yes, the Elites and media hurt Toledo. Because 70% heads get cut on Toledo vs. 30% on Rayburn according to Driscoll. For 2-3 years everyday of week in months of February to April and see average 500 boats, with that 70% factored is devestating. Now when a body of water is struggling, Opens and Costas do more for local economy.

Re: hope I never need to catch a fish this bad... - 02/21/18 03:16 AM

He gets it. thumb

So many people in this thread able to judge others, I feel like I just walked into the Vatican.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum