Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom winter bass.

Posted By: PettyBigBass

Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/12/18 01:30 PM

Back in the 90s, I spent allot of time on OH Ivie fishing deep water structure, catching big bass, summer and winter. This last summer I spent allot of time hanging out with the grandkids on the pontoon and sneaking in some bass fishing in the mornings. I had a hard time on pk as there is not much off shore structure. Mostly cliffs. I've heard it said that bass don't like to go deep in lakes with stripers like PK, Tawakini etc. I was wondering if you guys agree. Do you guys catch bass deep in the summer? I caught plenty of nice fish on the deep banks around 15 ft but what about 20-30ft ? Also how about now? How deep will the bass go in the winter at PK? Some guys used to jig n spoon the river channel as deep as 60-80 ft at Ivie. I never had the patience to vertical fish. How do you get to those deep winter pigs other than a vertical presentation?
Posted By: SGD64USMC

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/12/18 08:12 PM

Good question.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/12/18 08:46 PM

Caught them 30 foot last month at PK.
It has always been a good deep winter lake. There are huge boulders and lots of trees down deep in that lake. Some really good ridges too.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/12/18 08:46 PM

Don't give up on those cliffs. A lot of them have old cedar trees growing out of them down about 20-35'. If you fine the brush, fish it. Jigs , A-rigs, deep divers. I fish a hair jig and let it fall slowly on loose line. You can stick some good fish that way. In the afternoon, after the sun has worked its magic on the rocks, go fish the shoal side of the lake 2' to about 5'. you can find them sunning themselves on the rocks. I use a jerk bait fished slow, but any of your favorites will work presented right.
To me, PK is a winter lake. One of the best spots to fish when its cold is Scenic Point, give it a try
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/12/18 10:00 PM

Find the shad, catching bigger bass in 40' there last week,a couple of warm days they will move up 20 20-25'
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/13/18 12:20 AM

Pk is an awesome deep water lake. Really the fishing is only good shallow for about 3 months out of the year there. Idle around find what depth the bait are at (right now 30-34’) and that’ll tell you where to start
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Possum Kingdom winter bass. - 02/13/18 01:38 AM

Last summer we were catching bass and stripers together at the mouth of Hells Gate. They were suspended at around 30-40 in 90 FOW. I think the clearer the water the deeper the fish and PK has some clear water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum