Texas Fishing Forum

Average Joe Falcon Report

Posted By: Barrett

Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 04:26 PM

Just got back from 2.5 days at Falcon. The lake caught 22 feet of water a few months ago so a lot of "green stuff" is flooded. I fished from the Hediona to the very back of the Salinas and everything in between. We caught around 60-70 fish on our trip and the further we got down south it seemed the better the fishing was. One thing that is much different that was a little unexpected is be prepared to catch a TON of little fish and by little fish I mean not even keepers. It didnt matter if you were fishing in the dirt or 15 feet the little guys would eat and I mean a bunch of them. That being said we did have a few bigger bites but these are few and far between- NOT typical falcon. The lake is great on fishing for numbers right now but dont expect your average fish to be a 3 pounder like in years past- it just aint happening. We talked to a lot of people (10-12 different boats including guides) and it seemed everyone had the exact same story.... tons of little fish and good ones hard to come by. Water temps were 65 degrees and flipping seemed to get most of the bites... Second place would go to a chartreuse spinnerbait. Also keep your head on a swivel if in mexico because it seems its a bit busier more then normal. BP said they caught a loaded bass boat two days ago so be prepared to have your boat searched. We saw some shady stuff but just kept on moving. Fishing was overall great and we caught quite a few 5 pounders. Our best 5 yesterday before we left would have went around 26 pounds-all cookie cutter 5s and change. Judging by this front I would expect 28-30 pounds to win champs but wouldn't surprise me one bit if it took 15-18 pounds to get a check.

Water Clarity: Its insane how crystal clear the water is on MOST part of the lakes. Some parts have 5 or 6 feet of visibility. I was in one creek and the fry were so thick you couldnt see through them to sight fish. Yea thats right.... we sight fished on falcon. First for us too.

Also on the way there we called in on a group Saturday night we saw hiding in the bushes north of the check point in Hebronville. We drove up a ways and pulled over and BP met us within a few minutes. Well when we went back through the check point on way home we asked BP if they caught the guys and they told us they did and appreciated the tip. I thought that was interesting.

Well there is a report from just an average joe on what I think, heard and experienced going on down there. Hope that helps.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 04:42 PM

They stocked a ton of fish in 2017. Sounds like you found some of them.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 04:43 PM

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I was just there this past weekend and heard of people sight fishing too. That is definitely a first for me. I mostly heard the clear water was up North.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 04:49 PM

Barrett, when did your skills become just average?? You must have been slacking....
Posted By: Limits4all

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 05:27 PM

Headed there in a few weeks so thanks for the great report. I have been there many times with the exact water conditions you describe. When the water is that clear treat Falcon some like Amistad and throw big bodied line through swim baits to increase the average catch sizes. Falcon is not known for swim bait fishing but when water is that clear it is a real good swim bait lake especially on the South end.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Barrett, when did your skills become just average?? You must have been slacking....

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title and poster

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 05:35 PM

Havent been on the lake in 3 years and haven't hardly fished in 6 months. I think average Joe was giving me some credit!
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 06:00 PM

Good report. Fry from the ones stocked or this years fry?

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 06:03 PM

Post spawn fry. Some of them are already done. 100 percent.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 06:06 PM

good job Joe
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 06:22 PM

Definitely getting busier. Heard from a source Mexican military was or had pulled out of a local city. Cartel usually ramps up. They also encountered some shady stuff on Mexican side back in a creek. If the lake keeps some water fishing will be lights out next couple years
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 07:27 PM

We just back from 6 days of fishing Falcon and never saw anything suspicious on the Mexican side!

Salinillas up to Coyote!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 07:42 PM

Heading down Tue. and looking forward to clear water and light winds Wed thru Thur. Water only 2 feet down from a butt kicking trip two years ago. Hope same spots are cooking. thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 09:48 PM

Thanks for the report.
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 10:09 PM

Great post. Spot on.
Posted By: BCOU

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 10:47 PM

Falcon fever is setting in !!!
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 10:49 PM

Nice report!
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/07/18 10:54 PM

Lizards throw lizards.. flip the green bushes for the larger fish.. I was just there last week and could catch all the littles I wanted over the old lumber with a smaller lizard.

the bite is subtle for the larger fish it feels like your trying to pull your weight over a branch.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 12:44 AM

Average Joe. roflmao
Barrett, Any fish on beds or cruising? They should be.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 01:34 AM

Barrett, you nailed it. I've been here for the last 2 months, leaving tomorrow. For the last 4 years, same time period, my average has been around 7.5+ for my top 10. This year it was only 6.25 with nothing bigger than 6 1/2.
Catching 'fish'- no problem. Big fish for me were harder to find. Weather this year didn't help.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 01:47 AM

Excellent report.

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Average Joe. roflmao
Barrett, Any fish on beds or cruising? They should be.

yes sir
Posted By: Golfer Bryan

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 03:17 AM

I ran into Barrett and his friend Gavin in the back of Coyote on the Mexican side of Falcon a few days ago. They were having a Great Time. They were both stripped down to their underwear sun tanning and beet red throwing spinnerbaits. Barret waved and said Happy Hour starts at 9 am in Mexico. I laughed and moved on.
Had the same results as them lots of little fish but fun.

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 03:22 AM

LOL... Great seeing you Hollaway! Always a pleasure running into long time family friends. Hope you hammer them on the remainder of your trip!
Posted By: moto382

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Golfer Bryan
I ran into Barrett and his friend Gavin in the back of Coyote on the Mexican side of Falcon a few days ago. They were having a Great Time. They were both stripped down to their underwear sun tanning and beet red throwing spinnerbaits. Barret waved and said Happy Hour starts at 9 am in Mexico. I laughed and moved on.

roflmao roflmao!!!
Posted By: Raul Perez

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/08/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Golfer Bryan
flameGREAT WAY TO KEEP OTHERS OFF YOUR SPOT, no ones going to bother you at falcon lake THAT!
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/09/18 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info as we have never been before but want to try it out for fun. Headed that way for two days in a few weeks, where does everyone stay? Zapata?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/10/18 11:20 PM

Fished yesterday and was tough. Caught fish but nothing to write home about. That cold front messed them up. Water was back down below 60 everywhere we went. They were shallow though 3-5 ft. Caught them on lizards and worms on the wood and green bushes. No real bite pattern, some would thump it and others would just pick it up. I think (I Know) I missed some bites thinking it was brush. Left out this morning and it was warmer but the fog was thick.

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/10/18 11:22 PM

Cant wait to see results from champs. I bet 15 gets a check.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 03:11 AM

31.98 won

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 03:22 AM

Helluva sack. 13 something to get a check. That front had the field all kinds of split up.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
Fished yesterday and was tough. Caught fish but nothing to write home about. That cold front messed them up. Water was back down below 60 everywhere we went. They were shallow though 3-5 ft. Caught them on lizards and worms on the wood and green bushes. No real bite pattern, some would thump it and others would just pick it up. I think (I Know) I missed some bites thinking it was brush. Left out this morning and it was warmer but the fog was thick.

Ive been watching the weather down there, Im planning to head back as soon as my motor is repaired, Im thinking it needs to stay above 60 at night to see some stable water temps and maybe get going like everyone says falcon can.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 06:37 PM

50 degree nights and 70 degree days and not many of them. They're ready.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 07:09 PM

Today is not going to help. It is currently 49* at Falcon. Looks like it is going to start warming up on Wednesday and stay there for a little while.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 07:27 PM

45 degrees on the truck right now...
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
45 degrees on the truck right now...

How long you there bud?
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 07:59 PM

That front rolled through Zapata around noontime today dropping air temps from 88 high of yesterday along with some stiff north winds. Awaiting the results from the Texas Bass Nation South Region tourney anglers and how they managed today under those changing conditions.

Debra smile
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 08:17 PM

Till next Sunday
Posted By: ElmoFlash

Re: Average Joe Falcon Report - 02/11/18 11:13 PM

Thanks for the great report! Headed down with a group of friends from our club in a couple weeks!! Looking forward to some great fishing. I have only been there once before about 5 years ago. I'll take all the help I can get...LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum