Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex spot-lock

Posted By: Boone921

Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 02:55 AM

I just installed an ultrex on my boat and am still learning all the features. I had a guy tell me your suppposed to hit the N button then the anchor button.
As far as I can tell this would be the same as just hitting the anchor button.

Do any of you ultrex experts have any insight to this?
Posted By: C130

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 02:57 AM

For spotlock I just push the anchor button.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 03:19 AM

I've never heard that. Maybe he meant N then Continuous? Spot-lock(anchor) is all you have to hit
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 03:21 AM

the "N" is to set a course via GPS and has nothing to do with the Spot Lock feature
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Boone921
I just installed an ultrex on my boat and am still learning all the features. I had a guy tell me your suppposed to hit the N button then the anchor button.

He is wrong, just hit the anchor button and it will do its thing.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 04:04 AM

Just hit the anchor button that’s it
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 04:16 AM

The n is for auto pilot and not required for spot lock
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Boone921

That guy probably doesn't even have an Ultrex. Go by the instructions that came with the trolling motor and you can't go wrong.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 02:46 PM

just anchor

if your going to fish the area your pulling up to slow down and coast in dont hit anchor while moving or the motor spins around and blows out the area you just snuck up to, try it in shallow water and youll see the dirt being blown out in front of you a good 20 feet
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
just anchor

if your going to fish the area your pulling up to slow down and coast in dont hit anchor while moving or the motor spins around and blows out the area you just snuck up to, try it in shallow water and youll see the dirt being blown out in front of you a good 20 feet

Or it will spin around and try to throw your butt in the lake!

Anchor button only.
Posted By: Boone921

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 04:16 PM

Thanks guys. I didn’t think it sounded right. Just making sure there is not a feature I was missing.
This ultrex is awesome.
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 05:13 PM

Tons of good info in the manual that came with it or online. There is also a calibration that has to be done to work right.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 05:19 PM

So what exactly does N do? If your running lowrance does it still serve a purpose?
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dug71
Tons of good info in the manual that came with it or online. There is also a calibration that has to be done to work right.

True, you have to pair the trolling motor to the GPS puck and you have to pair the trolling motor to the I-pilot which is the part where you make two complete circles with the hand held I-pilot. This stuff is all explained in the instructions or you can watch how to on youtube.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 06:01 PM

The N will allow you fish in a continuous direction. Say you wish to fish a rip rap bank that is straight for some distance. You can move off the bank, point your boat in the direction you wish to travel parallel to the bank, set your motor to a continuous speed and push the "N" and you boat will travel in the direction and at the speed you have
pre chosen. Also no need to hit both N and the anchor button for spot lock.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: JWRid
The N will allow you fish in a continuous direction. Say you wish to fish a rip rap bank that is straight for some distance. You can move off the bank, point your boat in the direction you wish to travel parallel to the bank, set your motor to a continuous speed and push the "N" and you boat will travel in the direction and at the speed you have

Does this not do the same thing as the continuous button?
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: basscatcher01
Originally Posted By: JWRid

Does this not do the same thing as the continuous button?

The "N" and the continuous work in conjunction with each other. The continuous alone will not keep you on course. The "N" will keep you on course regardless of wind, current, etc. The "N" alone will do nothing for you other than keep your trolling motor head turning from time to time in the direction of a track that it is not running since the continuous is not on.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 08:57 PM

Turn the N on and turn the prop on. Set the head facing the direction you want to travel, set the prop speed and go sit down and eat lunch, fish, change lures...

It's kinda an auotopilot and will keep you heading where you set it. I use it to fish a bank all the time.

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 721Phoenix
Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
just anchor

Or it will spin around and try to throw your butt in the lake!

Anchor button only.

If your getting thrown around while on spot and its making adjustments, lower the boat scale... I run -2 and dont get the feeling of being dumped off anymore.

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/07/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®
Turn the N on and turn the prop on. Set the head facing the direction you want to travel, set the prop speed and go sit down and eat lunch, fish, change lures...

It's kinda an auotopilot and will keep you heading where you set it. I use it to fish a bank all the time.

go to settings in your remote and set it to auto on.. then you just hit the N...
Posted By: markson

Re: Ultrex spot-lock - 02/08/18 12:48 AM

I have found the AutoPilot is great for working a bank with the nose of the boat pointed into the wind and drifting backwards with proper tweaking of the continuous speed (or doing the same thing with no wind by pointing the power head towards the back of the boat). This allows me to see the changes in an underwater weedline on my bow HDS 12 as I drift over it and then fish those changes instead of trying to guess or remember the shape of the weedline.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum