Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed

Posted By: FMJag64

Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 06:11 PM

I have a HDS 12 Gen 2 and have had it for a couple of years now with no issues. Randomly over the weekend when i put it on the boat, it started saying No GPS and the GPS never came back on. The Sonar, depth, water temp etc all work fine but not the GPS.

Has anyone had any issues similar to this and have any recommendations? Called Lowrance but since its older than 2 years, not covered by warranty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 06:45 PM

Yes one of my Gen 2 units has the same issue. The internal module went out a few years ago. Like you mention, everything else on the unit works fine. There are some Calibration settings you can find in the menu. to try to fix it but it’s cumbersome. When I went thru this it sounded like a “known” issue.

Do what I did. Put a Point 1 antennae on it, you’ll never look back. I wanted one anyway, and for 200$ you’ll be back on the water. Was easier than sending it in for service etc. the P1 made the unit Way more accurate!
Just mount it in the correct location or can give you fits.

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 07:37 PM

Thank you! I will try this. PM sent.

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 07:43 PM

Question, does that mean it is something specifically with the HDS 12 unit or the boats GPS antennae puck? I ask bc my HDS 9 worked fine and its GPS worked.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 10:38 PM

I've read where sometimes the plug inside the unit can come undone. Since its out of warranty your not really hurting anything by opening it up to check. All I know is it's a plug on a wire ribbon that guys were saying you could tell was unplugged
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/05/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: FMJag64
Question, does that mean it is something specifically with the HDS 12 unit or the boats GPS antennae puck? I ask bc my HDS 9 worked fine and its GPS worked.
if you are saying you have a antenna puck then you have point one, if you don't have one then more then likely it went out internally. Point one is the way to go if you like fishing off shore. You
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/06/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
I've read where sometimes the plug inside the unit can come undone. Since its out of warranty your not really hurting anything by opening it up to check. All I know is it's a plug on a wire ribbon that guys were saying you could tell was unplugged

This seems to have happened quite a bit.

I’d go with a point 1 anyways for the heading sensor in addition to the GPS receiver.

Re: Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2.... No GPS,,,,Help Needed - 02/06/18 01:44 PM

Thanks for yalls help on this! So my fishing partner also saw online that sometimes its the GPS ribbon inside the unit that comes undone. Since the unit was out of warranty, I opened it up and this was in fact the case. Super easy fix and I am not the computer type at all so anyone should be able to do it. Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum