Texas Fishing Forum

engine smokes...a lot!

Posted By: fivebites

engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:08 AM

I've had my boat since the day it was born and it has ALWAYS smoked a lot more than any other boat i've ever seen. Bought it at Fun n Sun in Cleburne (1997). It's a 225 mariner. I asked about it a couple of times and Travis (at the time the mechanic) said no issue. And it hasn't been. In fact it still has the original power head and lower unit and I bet it's got 1000 + hours on it. Never had any problems. Fires right up every dang time in about 3 seconds max. Any one ever had this issue? Took it out for the first time in a couple of months to Bastrop today and it seems like it's smoking more than ever. Anyone?
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:12 AM

to much oil?
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:15 AM

My 2001 efi that I premix smokes like crazy as well
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K

Mine too
Posted By: pil,b

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:59 AM

Unless it;s fowling the plugs don't worry about it
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 12:22 PM

I had a 99 merc 225 EFI.
About the same engine you got.
It got nicknamed Old Smokey.
Had over 1500 hrs. on it. Best engine I ever owned.
Worse in cold weather when you first fire it up.
Normal
Posted By: MMosher

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 12:41 PM

If your plugs are good no worries, mine does the same. It would bother me if I DIDN'T see smoke.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 12:45 PM

My dad's yamaha smokes pretty good when it's cold but it doesn't foul plugs. It's probably better than the newer engines because it's getting the lubrication it needs
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 01:09 PM

My 200 Yammie Smokes Crazy , but at least it's be hind me .
Posted By: jbobo

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 01:39 PM

When an outboard sits awhile the gas in the carbs evaporates and leaves the oil sitting there. The first time you take it out that oil will mix with the fresh fuel mix and smoke more than normal. Pre mix will always smoke more than the oil injection engines unless you don’t add enough oil. Let it smoke. Engine is getting its lubricant to make it last longer. After being in any one of my buddies boats with 4 strokes mine seems like a mosquito fogger for a bit.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 01:41 PM

Pre-mix fuel puddles behind the reed cage on those motors. When it sets for a period of time, the gas evaporates off, leaving the oil. First fire up after sitting, its burning that puddled oil. No worries, it should clear up some once you start to use it on a regular basis. If its smoking, at least you know its oiling.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MMosher
If your plugs are good no worries, mine does the same. It would bother me if I DIDN'T see smoke.

thumb
Posted By: fivebites

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
When an outboard sits awhile the gas in the carbs evaporates and leaves the oil sitting there. The first time you take it out that oil will mix with the fresh fuel mix and smoke more than normal. Pre mix will always smoke more than the oil injection engines unless you don’t add enough oil. Let it smoke. Engine is getting its lubricant to make it last longer. After being in any one of my buddies boats with 4 strokes mine seems like a mosquito fogger for a bit.

Good info!! Thanks for the simple explanation!
Posted By: joebass2

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 02:50 PM

Better too much oil than not enough.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 02:56 PM

Same story for me except a 200 efi bought new in cleburne in1996. There are 3 check valves in the lines I replace. Residual pressure in the lines would feed oil when the engine is off. I replace them and all is back to 1996 levels. Good luck. JD
Posted By: 361V

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 02:57 PM

My oil injected 1992 Johnson Faststrike 150 on my pristine 1992 Ranger 361v smoked a lot when cold and a little when warm.....and ran perfect for 20 something years with NO engine repairs until someone wiped it out on the freeway a few years ago. I get the EPA and all but I kinda wish my 250XS smoked just a little(ya i know I can add a little oil to the gas to fix that). I truly believe these newer “cleaner EPA friendly” 2 strokes are running so lean that it shortens engine life. Part of the demise of the 2 Stroke. Oh well, somethings progress forward and somethings progress backwards...........You state your motor runs fine? Relax and be thankful. I kinda miss that early cool morning cloud of exhaust when starting out the new day in anticipation!
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 04:43 PM

Johnson GT 150, shes a smoker, but fouls no plugs and after initial hard/cold start, fires up well for rest of the day.

Lets me know she's ALIVE!!!!
Posted By: yandeltx

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/05/18 05:12 PM

I am guessing that smoke is what has allowed you to get to 1000 hours on the original power head. I agree with the other reply regarding motors running too lean. There has to be an explanation for all of the boat and motors for sale with rebuilt power heads with less than 200-300 hours.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/06/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Mine too

Mine three.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/06/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Mine too

Mine three.
+4 I don't premix but it does smoke a lot especially on start up and in the cold
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: engine smokes...a lot! - 02/06/18 11:48 AM

My '01 XR6 smokes in the mornings, just part of the deal. My Uncle owned a motorcycle shop for almost 40 years, he told me that if a 2 stroke isn't smoking, you should be worried, and lil smoke never hurt no one! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum