Texas Fishing Forum

GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits

Posted By: TallBaldCypress

GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/03/18 10:08 PM

Is there other material out there that's as good as GORE-TEX with blocking wind and water? Over the last 5 years, I've exclusively used GORE-TEX when fishing in cold wet weather, when snow skiing and love it but it comes at a premium cost.

I'm looking to replace my BPS 100MPH (GORE-TEX) with something that isn't insulated and lighter but after a bad experience with material other than GORE-TEX I'm afraid to try other stuff.

Anyone have any experience with rain suits that promises they are 100% windproof and waterproof?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/03/18 10:12 PM

bps has some lighter weight gortex suits for around what you're asking for your 100mph set I believe. someone should jump on your set at that price.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/03/18 10:23 PM

If you are talking wet & COLD, you better stay with that Gore Tex
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 12:16 AM

I don't know of a cheaper form of GoreTex, But......I do know of a more expensive version....GORE-TEX PRO.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:05 AM

Heck of a sale on this Simms suit. I have the Simms Challenger suit which is not GoreTex and I love it. This one is GoreTex though but priced right....

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Simms_Contender_Rain_Jacket/descpage-SCJK.html
Posted By: MV

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:10 AM

check out hunting clothes with goretex. if you dont mine camo. cabelas is having a sale.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:29 AM

BPS used to have an XPS series that is GoreTex and is very good and was less then 100mph, they have a Bone Dry series that is even less and very good and lighter. I have all three and each has it’s own application.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:29 AM

I use Cabela's guidewear goretex and it's pretty thin. No problems yet
Posted By: Chris B

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:37 AM

My 100mph gear is uninsulated. Been wearing it for 15 years and cant kill it.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:38 AM

The bass pro 200MPH is lighter and less insulated. I prefer it over the 100mph. It allows me to layer, and take off layers as it gets warmer and warmer.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:49 AM

What’s is everyone’s opinion on gortex or 100mph suits vs Simms, at whatever the best is in each version, regardless of price? Or is there another suit or brand that if you can afford it is even better?

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 01:53 AM

I own 100mph, but wish I could afford Simms.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 03:12 AM

Idigear.com Arctic Armor.
Posted By: Okyakfishing

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 05:14 AM

Look at the FG2 jacket from Gill gillna.com - this is the best wet weather jacket and I have owned them all.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Pumadon
BPS used to have an XPS series that is GoreTex and is very good and was less then 100mph, they have a Bone Dry series that is even less and very good and lighter. I have all three and each has it’s own application.

The bps bone dry rain wear is exactly same material that the academy h20 is made of.
They are wind proof and seem to be dry as best I can tell. But I don’t fish in heavy down poors
For long. I will say we fished intermittent rain and wind cold last Saturday.
J D popcorn
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: littlewheel
Idigear.com Arctic Armor.

This is the best I've ever owned by a long shot.
After that the old Cabellas 10X, Cabellas Guidewear, BP 200MPH. When you wash the GorTex use a product specifically designed for it. I've had good luck with Granger's Clothing Wash+Repel sold by Walmart on line and many others as well.
In spring and winter I wear mine 3-6 times a week and they get washed very often. The Granger's will make the suits close to the new performance.
Posted By: ClarkBird

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 12:51 PM

Gill FG2. Couldn't be happier.
Posted By: buda13

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/04/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
My 100mph gear is uninsulated. Been wearing it for 15 years and cant kill it.

Right there with ya... had my 100 MPH bibs since 2005 still 100% water and wind proof. One of the best investments I've made gear wise.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Okyakfishing
Look at the FG2 jacket from Gill gillna.com - this is the best wet weather jacket and I have owned them all.

Where can I touch one of these?
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 03:39 PM

I think the 100 MPH has a liner in it now that you can take in and out.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 04:18 PM

Simms pro dry suit is way overpriced. You’d think they would be better off selling a lot more of them for a little less $$
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 04:36 PM

Columbia, light weight and packs into itself
https://www.columbia.com/technology-omnitech/#prefn1=genderGroup&prefv1=Men%27s/

I have a Columbia "Titanium" jacket that's about eight years old, still keeps me dry. Have the pants too, they worked until I snagged them a few times with treble hooks.. mad
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 05:59 PM

I was able to look at the Gill fg2 as someone mentioned. In my opinion, the gill is the best of them all. I am going to sell my barely used bps gortex suit and buy a gill suit. They are more comfortable, better constructed to take an all day rain and still not get even a little wet, comes in various colors, just all around d better than bps or Simms. They all work, but like many things, some work better and are overall better. Just depends on what you want and can afford.

Me personally, after the past few cold wet and windy weekends fishing Rayburn and Toledo, my comfort is worth the money and I’m buying gill.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 06:51 PM

Totally waterproof and venting seems to be gaining on gore tex.

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/why-im-hard-on-gore-tex-the-king-of-hype-tm/

bolt

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4

bolt

Your skin is waterproof and breathable also....I wonder if this Internet guy will argue that one as well.

Some people will say and skew any fact to make themselves seem like a hero, won't they?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/05/18 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

bolt

Your skin is waterproof and breathable also....I wonder if this Internet guy will argue that one as well.

Some people will say and skew any fact to make themselves seem like a hero, won't they?

You got that right!
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 01:24 PM

Wore Frogg Togg bottoms yesterday in 23 degree weather with longjohns, jeans and stayed warm. excellent at blocking wind and keeping dry. Also easy on and off and when you have to urinate easy to get down and at my age that's a big deal.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

bolt

You got that right!

I have the feeling if Gore-Tex changed their name to Gore-Cal you might be more open minded about some of the new materials available today. roflmao

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/voormi-core-technology/
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: blackhorse
Wore Frogg Togg bottoms yesterday in 23 degree weather with longjohns, jeans and stayed warm. excellent at blocking wind and keeping dry. Also easy on and off and when you have to urinate easy to get down and at my age that's a big deal.

I have worn Frog Toggs forever over layers of clothes and one thing I found a couple of years ago are the Blue jeans at Bass Pro that go on sale with the fleece type lining in them. Just as warm as regular blue jeans with long johns but without the hassle of dealing with them falling and bunching up and another layer to get past for [censored] breaks.
My brother is going to let me use his Bone Dry jacket this weekend and said after I use it I will go get one. He really likes this product so I am anxious to see how it works.
Posted By: Jay Kumar

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 05:01 PM

Depends what you're looking for both in terms of material and amount of protection as well as weight/warmth, but I like Simms -- because I like light stuff and prefer to layer.

About Gore-Tex -- did you know you have to recharge it by putting it in a dryer at max heat? I know that sounds scary, but I talked to the tech folks at Gore a few years back when I noticed the waterproofness of the GoreTex -- NOT the material of the coat -- would not work after a hard day of hunting in the rain. That's what they told me. Sure enough it works.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 06:07 PM

Blackhorse, were you in the Army. I was in the 3rd/11th ACR known as the Workhorse Squadron of the Blackhorse (11th ACR) Regiment.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 06:07 PM

I am all in for what works, and I have a BPS 100mph Jacket, As well as Frog Toggs...but I always question why we don't use tried and true. Commercial fishermen don't use Gore-Tex. My railroader father didn't either. They old yellow slickers... Is there a particular reason we don't use them as the standard for freshwater fishing like they are in most other outdoor industries?

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jay Kumar
Depends what you're looking for both in terms of material and amount of protection as well as weight/warmth, but I like Simms -- because I like light stuff and prefer to layer.

About Gore-Tex -- did you know you have to recharge it by putting it in a dryer at max heat? I know that sounds scary, but I talked to the tech folks at Gore a few years back when I noticed the waterproofness of the GoreTex -- NOT the material of the coat -- would not work after a hard day of hunting in the rain. That's what they told me. Sure enough it works.

For 30 minutes AFTER it's dry.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/06/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jay Kumar

it allows the fibers to stand up again and bead water.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 05:28 AM

I have Simms and GuideWear. It seems so stiff. The Simms especially.
Posted By: Chato

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 01:14 PM

When you purchase rain jackets and it does not matter the brand you need to wash it and dry it at a hot temp to renew the DWR (durable water repellent). After prolong being rained on the exposed material will wet out and cannot shed water and wets out..you either dry it out or change jackets..the Gore tex is the internal membrane..need to wash at least once a year
Posted By: WAWI

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
I am all in for what works, and I have a BPS 100mph Jacket, As well as Frog Toggs...but I always question why we don't use tried and true. Commercial fishermen don't use Gore-Tex. My railroader father didn't either. They old yellow slickers... Is there a particular reason we don't use them as the standard for freshwater fishing like they are in most other outdoor industries?

Because there isn't a giant name plastered on the stuff. Bass fisherman really need a giant name. They pay alot of extra cash for it too.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 01:59 PM

And they are heavy and don't breath well.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

The fisherman or the rain gear?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

The fisherman or the rain gear?

In my case, fisherman.........seems to happen the older you get.
Posted By: flexpress

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 07:24 PM

H2O xpress acdemy way cheaper will keep you dry not insulated
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/07/18 11:55 PM

It's hard to put a price on ur comfort when the weather is bad . Comparing bps 100mph or gill to academy h2o is comparing apples to oranges

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

That would be style. But yes I wear old school heavy raingear bib and parka when working in rain.
I’ve had them since 1999 they are very durable and work well. One other thing I work in heavy rain on occasion .

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: RMOROTT21
It's hard to put a price on ur comfort when the weather is bad . Comparing bps 100mph or gill to academy h2o is comparing apples to oranges

Going on year two h20 they are more than adequate. I have a job that requires me to work in the rain and cold
For that I use heavy rain gear it works very well. To relax and go fishing the h20 is light and very good no complaints.
J D
Posted By: WAWI

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 03:27 AM

No it's not, for 500 bucks or more I'll just stay wet if my h20 suit doesn't work.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 02:50 PM

quality gortex is the best tool a boat owner can have. ive had my 100mph gear since 1999 and it serves double on a motorcycle. talk about a great investment...

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

No it's not, for 500 bucks or more I'll just stay wet if my h20 suit doesn't work.

you're better off down in the off topic with your logic...
Posted By: rj74955

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 03:47 PM

I don't remember the year but I bought a pro qualifier Goretex set at the clearance store in Springfield the first year they came out with them. Bright yellow parka lol, black bibs. Both are still in perfect working order and dry as the day I got them. I have a 100 mph set also, it's heavier and warmer than the pro qualifier. Goretex=dry. Boots, gloves, hats, whatever, if it says Goretex it's worth every penny.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 05:04 PM

When I was first looking at quality foul weather gear, years ago, I couldn't bring myself to spend the $500+ for a GORE-TEX suit so I bought some cheap frog toggs. Went fishing and it was 30* and raining. The first thing I did after that trip was spend the $500+ for a 100MPH suit and it has been money well spent.

It has to be 100% waterproof AND windproof for me.

There are a couple of manufacturers touting that their material is as good, specifically the Gill suits, but they aren't cheap and if they're the same price as gore-tex then I probably wouldn't take a chance on them.

Personally, I can't put a price on being warm, comfortable, light, 100% dry and 100% windproof.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/08/18 08:01 PM

Anybody have experience with the Carhartt Force Extremes? I fished with a guy a couple of weeks ago who had em and really liked em.

The next weekend i fished with a guy who had the Huk ~$100 jacket. It was losing the print after the first wash and he ripped it out in the arm pit that day. Two trips to the lake and it was toast.
Posted By: LO419

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/09/18 03:00 AM

Gore-Tex is the best I’ve used, but for the price the Academy H2O is pretty good. Blocks the wind, rain and is fairly light.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/09/18 04:27 PM

yes sir 1/11th A Trp 70-71.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/10/18 12:52 AM

+ 1

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/10/18 02:29 AM

72-75 Bad Hersfeld ALLONS my brother. 11B mos.

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/10/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Pumadon
72-75 Bad Hersfeld ALLONS my brother. 11B mos.

Si'!!!!

Or sumtheeeengz

Re: GORE-TEX vs Other Material Rain Suits - 02/10/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: basscaster46

+ 1

Depending on your size you can get Cabela's goretex guidewear wear for less than $200 right now. I'd buy that over h20 all day. Its quality stuff. Keeps me dry
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum