Texas Fishing Forum

Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel?

Posted By: beeflover

Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 05:35 PM

I spooled up a reel full of suffix 832 30 lb. I thought it would be a very versatile line for all round use but the dang stuff binds up on itself all the time. Any suggestions? After a couple hours I put the rod away it bugged me so bad. I was looking for something I could do everything with from frogs, cranks, t-rigs etc
Posted By: gwl2

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:03 PM

I would try 50 power pro. 30 lb braid is awful light
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:13 PM

You need to spool some mono backing, tie the braid to it, and keep lots of tension on the line as you spool it to make sure that it lays tight on the spool. Any time you get hung up and pull hard on it, it is going to dig in. Just pull it loose before you reel the rest of the line up.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:15 PM

Make a long cast peel some line out then put electrical tape around line in spool
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:17 PM

Next time you are on the lake, tie on a Zara Spook and let all your line out, then reel it in at idle speed. You should end up with a tight enough spool to solve most of your problems.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Next time you are on the lake, tie on a Zara Spook and let all your line out, then reel it in at idle speed. You should end up with a tight enough spool to solve most of your problems.

And possibly a fish
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: beeflover
I spooled up a reel full of suffix 832 30 lb. I thought it would be a very versatile line for all round use but the dang stuff binds up on itself all the time. Any suggestions? After a couple hours I put the rod away it bugged me so bad. I was looking for something I could do everything with from frogs, cranks, t-rigs etc

Question: Does the reel have a spool that is angled on the edges? What we used to call a vee-shaped spool? If so you will have binding problem on that reel forever. Sufix 832 is great line but lemme know what kind of spool you have.
Posted By: Kiss88

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 08:16 PM

Go heavier. 50 to 65 # braid will fix your problem.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Kiss88
Go heavier. 65 to 80 # braid will fix your problem.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 09:27 PM

I have used Suffix 832 in 20# for saltwater without issue. 10 yards of mono backing and spool it with some tension. I can just about throw all the line off the spool of a Chronarch 50 with a 1/4oz jig head. It's a real good braided line.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 09:52 PM

I have the same problem with suffix, even with the mono backing.

I don't have problems like that with other brands.

My best suggestion is to switch to another brand.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/03/18 10:02 PM

NO,tried all the tricks the answer is NO
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 12:02 AM

I've found that 30# on most bait casters will dig into itself due to the level wind which lays in too close as opposed to a spinning reel which lays it in more of a criss cross pattern. Spool it with 40 or 50# and problem goes away.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 01:42 AM

Weird I throw lots of 30-40 on baitcasters with no issues. Mostly daiwa CT R
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Kiss88
Go heavier. 50 to 65 # braid will fix your problem.

Yep, 65 is all I ever use in braid.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Weird I throw lots of 30-40 on baitcasters with no issues. Mostly daiwa CT R

The OP is from Minn. I bet money he has some type of v-spool reel. Those things hate braid of any kind because it just won't lay down on the spool smoothly.

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 04:06 PM

thanks for the ideas. It's a new Lews reel and the spool is not v shaped.
It is on the spool tight because I always reel the line up between my thumb and index finger reeling in.
I'll try the mono backing and the tape idea before I throw this expensive line away

the kind of distance fishspanker is talking about is what I'm looking for with this lighter weight line.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 04:07 PM

I only use power pro 50 lb on my bait casters.
Every couple hours on the water I will give the line a good shot of Reel Magic.
Only issues I have are when I screw up a cast.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: beeflover
thanks for the ideas. It's a new Lews reel and the spool is not v shaped.
It is on the spool tight because I always reel the line up between my thumb and index finger reeling in.
I'll try the mono backing and the tape idea before I throw this expensive line away

the kind of distance fishspanker is talking about is what I'm looking for with this lighter weight line.

are you not using any backing at all?

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 04:34 PM

yeah I have backing under the braid, old flouro that I used before on the reel. I had a lot of backlash problems with that. I know how to set the tensions and have tried about every settimg with the brakes.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 04:54 PM

They made some reels that had like a triple wind line guide. It ran the line guide a lot faster and didn't stack the line side by side (like thread on a bobbin spool) for braided line. Do they still make them? I don't know which brand they were or maybe it was a dream off mine. I have these dreams and then wham!!! Somebody invents it. Somebody is channeling my dreams, darn government.
Posted By: KC Injection Baits

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 07:43 PM

Go to Sunline braids no problems.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Is there a trick to keeping braided line from binding on the reel? - 02/04/18 10:33 PM

30Lb braid is to small for a lot of reels. If the worm gear moves slow it will cause the line to lay side by side rather than more of a slight crossing and braid will dig in pitching the line. Smaller braid like 30lb is equivalent to 8lb mono. Go up to 50-60 and problem solved. This has probably already been stated, I didnt read the comments.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum