Texas Fishing Forum

Trailering with graphs?

Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 02:53 PM

I just added a couple Helix 10s to my boat. One at the console and one at the bow and neither are flush mounted. Do you guys with larger graphs remove them when trailering? I'm about 20 minutes from my home lake. I'm more worried about road debris hitting the unit. Also, how secure are the rubber covers when trailering? I'll probably add a bungee cord or velcro strap so they won't fly off.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 02:59 PM

Unless I'm on the lake the graphs stay in their cases in the truck no matter what size or version. Seen to many thrown rock from other vehicles to take a chance.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:05 PM

I keep mine on but leave the rubber covers on and lay them forward and flat so that they don't get hit but mine are on ram mounts. If yours are gimble mounted you can position them flat but a rock could still hit the bottom. If you travel a road that rock haulers travel on might be better to take them off. Common sense always wins.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 2015fordnut
Unless I'm on the lake the graphs stay in their cases in the truck no matter what size or version. Seen to many thrown rock from other vehicles to take a chance.

For sure...... I even wrap mine up in towels with the screen protectors on. I paid good money for my equipment therefore I take care of it.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:13 PM

You will need to strap the covers on , they will fly off and they are not very cheap to replace
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:39 PM

I don't go down the road with graphs on.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:40 PM

I never take mine off, and never cover them. Never have had any issues.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 03:53 PM

This. Unless they're flush mounted, they're going in the truck/storage compartment.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:01 PM

Couple big rubber bands keep your factory cover in place going down the freeway. thumb Or contact Carlos on the TFF & ask him about these Sonar Socks he sells: https://www.riveratackle.com/product-category/sonarsock/
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:02 PM

I don't have Humminbird, but my Lowrance covers stay on really well. Don't know if they're similar to Humminbird's. I don't have flush mounted graphs and I trailer with my graphs on every single time. But then again, I always have the covers on. If I didn't have covers I'd probably take them off when trailering.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:05 PM

I have a Helix 10 at the console and 859 at the bow, both on Ram Mounts, i never take them off, i travel with the covers on, never had an issue.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:17 PM

I guess I could do the research myself, but at what temperatures are the graphs safe in the truck? I would guess in the wintertime they are fine to stay there, but what about as the weather gets warmer and the inside of the vehicle gets hotter?

I guess cold is not a concern.

Mine are in my truck right now and I wondered about this when I put them in last night.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:20 PM

I remove them when trailering. Only takes me a couple minutes install them.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

I guess I could do the research myself, but at what temperatures are the graphs safe in the truck? I would guess in the wintertime they are fine to stay there, but what about as the weather gets warmer and the inside of the vehicle gets hotter?

Mine are in my truck right now and I wondered about this when I put them in last night.

I've never had a problem with mine. They probably are going to be ok just like in the heat of the Texas sun turned on at the lake. I've been on the water when it was 110°F. In the truck I have them in a plastic case with the gun box foam they are in too so I know that insulates them some.

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:41 PM

I know it sounds kind of redneck but here's my logic: I don't take my automobiles electronics out of my truck when I park it at the ramp in the 100 degree heat w/130 degree temps inside the vehicle. I leave the radio, navigation system......everything. Ought to be fine for your graphs. Oh wait, I'm too lazy. Mine never come off the boat!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 04:50 PM

I take mine off if stopping somewhere before the ramp, like a gas station, for theft reasons.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

Have you ever touched your graph while its been running all day in the direct sunlight? I guarantee you it gets much hotter while powered up in the direct sun than it ever would in your truck.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:24 PM

Leave them on if want them damaged or stolen.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:25 PM

I trailer with mine all the time, they usually stay on if I am storing at my garage. Only come off when I am staying overnight somewhere and boat is outside.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:28 PM

Mine never come off. Have locks on them to make it a pain in the azz to remove them. If they do get stolen...well that's what insurance is for.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:29 PM

I have the Garmins, just lift a latch and remove the head unit, don't have to unscrew a cable or anything.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:40 PM

always take mine off I bought a cheap gun case to put them in. They stay all nice insulated in there
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:41 PM

Helix 10 and solix 12, never come off the boat unless I put it in the shop for service or park overnight at a public place. Solix on a RAM mount and I lay it flat, helix on a BBT at the bow and it never moves but a rock would have to go through the bow then trolling motor to hit the graph.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 05:47 PM

Never come off , solid connection .
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 07:58 PM

I have Helix and HDS units in my boat. I leave em on 24/7..... that's what insurance is for.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 09:29 PM

+1 on the Sonar Socks. I have (2) and they do the job!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 11:03 PM

This very high end piece of equipment will keep your covers from blowing off in transport.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingking
Leave them on if want them damaged or stolen.

Yes, because every graph ever left on a boat has been damaged or stolen
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/02/18 11:29 PM

I have a Helix 9 & Helix 10, I leave on the boat. The 10 is on the console protected by the windshield. The 9 is protected by the Ultrex, plus it’s on a Dek it mount. I do trailer with the rubber covers on, I tow with a F150, I can’t go that fast...
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 01:10 AM

I've been traveling with mine on since the spring of '87, so far so good. Now I'm not ignorant or naïve, if I'm fishing a tournament and the boat is outside I bring in the graphs and the rod & reels and lock all the boat lids. My biggest worry when going fishing is some yayhoo running a red light and hwy. 276 has a lot of them.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 01:32 AM

Mine stay on unless I'm staying in a hotel. I don't use the covers any more because the new rubber covers I have found will turn your unit on when you install them if you aren't really careful and mine are mounted where it is too hard to just unplug the cable connector. When I used a ram mount beside my console, I would remove it because I didn't trust it driving down the road.

I've seen a few posts through the years of people who remove them and forget to put them in the truck and drove away.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 02:36 AM

We are all talking about protecting the graph...but don't forget those expensive transducers hanging off the back. One rouge rock is all it takes. I wrap mine up with a sock while trailering.

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish
We are all talking about protecting the graph...but don't forget those expensive transducers hanging off the back. One rouge rock is all it takes. I wrap mine up with a sock while trailering.
I mean this in the kindest way but it’s people like you that make me look like such an underachiever! laugh
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 12:52 PM

I take mine off unless I'm on the water. Where mine are mounted a flying piece of road debris could take them out. I'm out west of the metroplex and fish Bridgeport and Amon Carter mostly. Lots of aggregate haulers on the road.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 01:07 PM

I will take mine off if I'm traveling a far distance. Going to Lew and GV they stay on.
Posted By: reinke

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 03:33 PM

I use to pull them off at times. Now they stay on. 3 Lowrance gen2. I may be looking for a reason to upgrade.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Trailering with graphs? - 02/03/18 06:36 PM

Depends... If I head to the river 20 minutes away I leave them on... If I head to the lake house 4hrs away they are taken off and stored in the back compartments... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum