Texas Fishing Forum

Sugar Lake

Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 01:27 PM

I’ve been out of fishing for a minute (~6 months) I’ve just lost interest but recently got the itch again, so I booked a trip with my dad on sugar lake in mid March through Falcon Heights Motel after reading some good things about them on here.
I’ve never been to Mexico, never fished west of Whitney. What should I expect?
Has anyone fished with Carlos Olivarez on Sugar?
Anyone that has been to Sugar, what was your experience like?
This is a bucket list trip for me!
Posted By: kd

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 01:34 PM

You are going to have a blast. Use heavy line and hold on. Only recommendation is to not venture into town after dark and you will be fine. I have been there 6-7 times and have never been disappointed.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 01:57 PM

Did not stay in Mexico when we went so we were sure to be off the lake and back across the border before dark. Fishing was good. We were there in June. Had good numbers(60+)of 2-4LB fish. No giants though but they are in there. It was pretty cool, we were the only boat on the water besides the net fishermen.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 02:06 PM

I know of a couple of people that have fished day trips with Carlos on Sugar--they had a great time. One caught their PB there.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 02:23 PM

I'm going in late February for the first time and staying at the lake for 2 nights. I will report back
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 02:41 PM

Good Intel guys , may plan a trip w/brother .
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 02:55 PM

I've fished Sugar a couple of times with Carlos. Always stay at the lodge for a couple of nights when we go. Carlos knows the lake as well as anyone and he'll put you on the fish if they're biting. Beware the cold fronts! Those bass don't like cold weather a bit. Last time I went I took my personal truck and pulled my buddy's boat. Coming back across at Roma and navigating through that concrete zig zag at the border crossing was tight. Made it with about 2 inches to spare. By far the worst part of the trip.

Baits that worked for us:
Big lizards
Rage Craws (the big ones)
Zoom Mag Utra Vibe Speed Worms
Big crankbaits in bright colors
Big squarebills
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 03:45 PM

Best lake on the planet if you go with the right person, May 2016 came close to a 50 lb stringer, all post-spawn at the base of the hardwoods. have about 14 days on the lake, dreams come true there!

Pound for pound the best 40,000 acre lake I've ever seen. There are hazards all over the lake with rock if you've never been. They eat peppermints there if your around the fish.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
Best lake on the planet if you go with the right person, May 2016 came close to a 50 lb stringer, all post-spawn at the base of the hardwoods. have about 14 days on the lake, dreams come true there!

Pound for pound the best 40,000 acre lake I've ever seen. There are hazards all over the lake with rock if you've never been. They eat peppermints there if your around the fish.

I don’t understand the peppermint part. Can you explain a little more?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 10:16 PM

I talked to two guides at a restaurant in Zapata last night that just got back in town and one zeroed and the other had one 4lbr. Said it has been very tough at Sugar lately.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/02/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
Originally Posted By: InTheClear

I don’t understand the peppermint part. Can you explain a little more?

Think he's saying they'll eat anything "if you're around the fish"
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
I talked to two guides at a restaurant in Zapata last night that just got back in town and one zeroed and the other had one 4lbr. Said it has been very tough at Sugar lately.

What?? I can do better than that at white rock from the bank.

Someone tell me something good
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 12:21 AM

Good news—warm south wind at Falcon dam for the next four days peaking at 88 degrees Tuesday

Posted By: hawki213

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 04:44 AM

My wife and I have been 3 times with Jay Greishaw for a couple of days each time. Stayed at the lodge each time. The first two times it was off the wall. Flippin the trees one morning was like being in a Jimmy Houston show. We went thru a couple gallon bags of worms. Best bass fishing of my life. This last time in Nov the lake had just filled up. We caught fish but it wasn't like before. The weather down there has been insanely cold and wet for the last 2 months at least. But as Collin pointed out the weather is fixing to change for the good.

Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
I’ve been out of fishing for a minute (~6 months) I’ve just lost interest but recently got the itch again, so I booked a trip with my dad on sugar lake in mid March through Falcon Heights Motel after reading some good things about them on here. I’ve never been to Mexico, never fished west of Whitney. What should I expect? Has anyone fished with Carlos Olivarez on Sugar? Anyone that has been to Sugar, what was your experience like? This is a bucket list trip for me!

Ricky, you and your Dad will have an awesome trip having known Carlos for over 20 years you will be in good hands and he will work his tail off to get you on fish. Please share your story upon return.

http://falconheightsmotel.com/Home_Page.html

Debra cool
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 03:29 PM

Can you just load your boat up and go fish lakes in Mexico? Or do you have to pay an outfitter to fish? Is it safe to do your own trip?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Can you just load your boat up and go fish lakes in Mexico? Or do you have to pay an outfitter to fish? Is it safe to do your own trip?

You can

Probably best to go down there with a guide first and get a feel for the area.

Little Jay Kendricks goes down there and guides
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/03/18 03:48 PM

We do drive in trips to Mexico; but do not go to Sugar very often. We like Lake Oviachic. There is no charge for you to follow us. I will help you with all your paper work and preparation for the trip any time you want to go. I will even make accommodations for you in my boat for the fist trip so you can see how easy it is and what you will need to do for your next trip so you can take your truck and boat.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/07/18 06:01 AM

We went in early December with John Adami, Broken Braid Guide Service for 2 days. Fish were good in the trees on Magnum Zoom Lizards. Caught several good fish by the dam anywhere from 10 to 25 ft of water slow rolling 1 oz spinner baits. Bass of a lifetime is always one cast away.Take Heavy rods, you'll flip some trees. Nothing less than 25 lb flouro. I used 50 lb braid. March bite should be great.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/07/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

We do drive in trips to Mexico; but do not go to Sugar very often. We like Lake Oviachic. There is no charge for you to follow us. I will help you with all your paper work and preparation for the trip any time you want to go. I will even make accommodations for you in my boat for the fist trip so you can see how easy it is and what you will need to do for your next trip so you can take your truck and boat.

Would taking a rv across towing your boat make it a big hassle? I was just there on falcon for two weeks and wanted to go over but I tow with my rv.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/07/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Would taking a rv across towing your boat make it a big hassle? I was just there on falcon for two weeks and wanted to go over but I tow with my rv.
I don't think you could navigate the concrete barricades coming back across at Roma in an RV pulling a boat. They have a commercial truck lane that is a much straighter shot, but I've never seen it open. You could also cross at Falcon dam, but I don't think anyone would recommend it. You'd have to drive through one of those Wild West towns in Mexico with a bunch of bullet holes in the walls.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/07/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

I don't think you could navigate the concrete barricades coming back across at Roma in an RV pulling a boat. They have a commercial truck lane that is a much straighter shot, but I've never seen it open. You could also cross at Falcon dam, but I don't think anyone would recommend it. You'd have to drive through one of those Wild West towns in Mexico with a bunch of bullet holes in the walls.

I read about the barricades but think there must be a way, I cant be the only person with a rv?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/08/18 12:05 AM

I don't think I'd be going into Mexico with an RV...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/08/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/08/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Jeff said he doesn't live in fear on one of the other Falcon threads, I say head on down and we will be watching for a report!
Posted By: BCOU

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/08/18 05:20 AM

Went with guide Jim Benkens And I felt safe the whole time we stayed at the hotel there on the lake. Great Lake and hospitality and food great.
Posted By: Mr. Greensides

Re: Sugar Lake - 02/08/18 12:33 PM

Be nice, tip well, smile and mind your own business.
Pretty good advice for here or there...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum