Texas Fishing Forum

Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex?

Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon

Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 04:37 PM

Currently using multiple Lowrances and want to get an Ultrex. Is it worth adding a Bird at bow to take advantage of linking technology available on the Ultrex? Thanks, 'spoon
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 04:57 PM

Might wait till tomorrow, might make your decision a little easier. I don't know what they have up their sleeve?
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12597050/We're_Adding_Another_Big_Name_#Post12597050
peep
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 05:17 PM

iPilot LINK with Humminbird units gives you "Follow-the-Contour" with Lakemaster HD mapping and more memory for Spotlocks (waypoints) and iTracks. Plus Follow-Weedlines using Auto Chart Live or Auto Chart maps.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 07:06 PM

I had Lowrance and an Ultrex and switched to the HB Solix and glad I did.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 10:14 PM

I have an Ultrex (with the link) for my Helix 9, I love it. I will love it more when my new non-US2 transducer gets here. I’m considering getting another chip for the front to match my Helix 10.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/28/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon
Currently using multiple Lowrances and want to get an Ultrex. Is it worth adding a Bird at bow to take advantage of linking technology available on the Ultrex? Thanks, 'spoon

Listen to Wayne P. he knows his $hit when it comes to electronics, trust me.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 12:26 AM

That's a personal decision that you have to make as to how you fish. I've been using Ipilot for several years. I've had link and non link units. I much prefer the link for the added capability but can go without it. I'd be more concerned with the fish finder side of the question. Do you like your Lowrance better than the Helix. If you can get more out of a Helix then go link. I wouldn't change ff brands solely for the link version.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 12:44 AM

I have link and very rarely use it. It's nice to have but you can definitely do without and never notice. If you are the type that cuts the big motor and drifts to your spot and start casting right away, then the link features would take too long for you to ever use them anyways.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 12:56 AM

I would not if that is your only reason to get a Humminbird, but have you checked out some of their latest creations, and their customer service is way better than Lowrance.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
I would not if that is your only reason to get a Humminbird, but have you checked out some of their latest creations, and their customer service is way better than Lowrance.
totally agree. I had three Helix units when I bought my Ultrex, so I boiught the Link version. Since then, I've changed boats and the new boat had Lowrance. I have sold two of the Helix units and kept one. I NEVER use the contour follow and only played with the i-track stuff once to say I did. The saving of spots is useful, but even then, only slightly.
My vote is save your money.
Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 02:21 AM

Thanks guys. I have and like my Lowrance units and know how to use them. I just didn’t know how effective the GPS capabilities of a HB linked unit to the Ultrex might be. Mainly interested in spot lock anyway. If the grass would come back in Amistad (which I hear it is) and the punch bite returns I may reconsider smile I appreciate the feedback. ‘Spoon
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 02:28 PM

I don't know that I would switch electronics just for the iPilot Link. I have Humminbird electronics (bow and console) with my new Terrova (all the same technology as the Ultrex), but I didn't pony up the extra $500 for the iPilot link functionality. It's obviously a personal decision, but I think I made the right one. I just don't think the 'follow the contour line' was worth $500. Yes, the spot lock waypoints get saved in the unit, too, but it's not exactly a whole lot of work to create the waypoint manually.

If you stay with Lowrance, you save $$$ by not getting new electronics plus the ~$500 difference in trolling motors by not getting the iPilot link.

That's my USD $0.02
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: H2ODawg67
Might wait till tomorrow, might make your decision a little easier. I don't know what they have up their sleeve?
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12597050/We're_Adding_Another_Big_Name_#Post12597050
peep
Unless he wants KVD advice and has his phone number nothing to wait for.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 07:07 PM

So I just got an email... KVD, made the switch too.. he’s an all Minn Kota guy now...
Ultrex, battery charger etc... not that it’s a shock
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Worth Buying a Humminbird to Use With Ultrex? - 01/29/18 09:03 PM

Don't forget that KVD uses Humminbird electronics, which is owned by the same company as Minn Kota, Johnson Outdoors
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum