Texas Fishing Forum

Charger Boats

Posted By: BorNella

Charger Boats - 01/28/18 04:39 AM

Curious as to what people think of them. You don't see them mentioned on here too often.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 04:44 AM

I tried to buy one a couple of years back when they came out with the new model. I couldn't find a dealer near me that wanted to deal. Not very many dealers. I bought another Phoenix for a lot less.

The 797 or whatever the model is, is a nice boat.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 05:28 AM

The 210 is awesome, but as stated not many dealers in Texas
Posted By: davisxx

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 11:44 AM

J & J marine, at Lake Fork, is a dealer. They are on 515.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 12:58 PM

Their dealer network is growing substantially with 2 new boat models in the last 2 years splashed from the Champion line. There are at least 3 dealers now in Texas. The one mentioned above and 1 in Corsicana and 1 in Beaumont. I've had 2 Chargers - 1998-19.5' (195) and currently a 2014-496 (20.5'). The company has great customer service and builds a high quality boat with a very high customer loyalty and retention. Here is a picture of my 496

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 01:58 PM

I thought I was going to be buying one of their new 198 rigs coming out soon, until I saw the price.
Posted By: BorNella

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 02:11 PM

I bought a 2014 181 a couple months ago. It's awesome. I would love to have gotten a bigger boat but that's all that would fit in my boat house.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 02:54 PM

They've always been a good solid boat, but IMHO the old Chargers had that funky bow-down look that kept a lot of buyers away. Can tell from Barbarian's 496 above that the new models (Champion) look much better. Good looking boat.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 03:00 PM

Great riding boats. One of the top In the rough stuff for sure.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 03:06 PM

Been running Chargers since 1993, have had a 195, 396 and now I have a 596. Great rough water and dry boat, I wouldn't own anything else. The 396 had a different hull, it was more of a speed boat, not as smooth riding. Here is a pic of my 2013 596

Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: davisxx
J & J marine, at Lake Fork, is a dealer. They are on 515.

I am pretty sure J&J quit selling Chargers a few years back. I am not sure why I thinking they struggled getting people around fork to buy them.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 03:50 PM

J&J may have quit a little soon I think the 210 at a good price would have sold around fork.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Been running Chargers since 1993, have had a 195, 396 and now I have a 596. Great rough water and dry boat, I wouldn't own anything else. The 396 had a different hull, it was more of a speed boat, not as smooth riding. Here is a pic of my 2013 596

nice looking boat congrats

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 04:24 PM

That 496 & 596 are both pretty dang sharp! We don’t see many Chargers down here, mostly Skeeters.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 04:40 PM

I've always liked the Charger line since the first time I saw one way back when at Jordan Marine
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
Their dealer network is growing substantially with 2 new boat models in the last 2 years splashed from the Champion line. There are at least 3 dealers now in Texas. The one mentioned above and 1 in Corsicana and 1 in Beaumont. I've had 2 Chargers - 1998-19.5' (195) and currently a 2014-496 (20.5'). The company has great customer service and builds a high quality boat with a very high customer loyalty and retention. Here is a picture of my 496

Super clean boat bud
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 08:08 PM

I will never forget flyin around Fork with Hollice Joiner in his old charger back in the 90's. he had his "own" lanes through all the old standing timber. fun times... coolio
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Charger Boats - 01/28/18 08:11 PM

Nice looking boat..
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 01:21 AM

I was considering taking one of their shorter than 20 ft models for a test ride a few years ago, we have a dealer close but honestly the sales guy kinda talked me out of it, he was pushing the 20 ft models hard and I did not want a boat that big. I am starting to see more of them on the water around here.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
I was considering taking one of their shorter than 20 ft models for a test ride a few years ago, we have a dealer close but honestly the sales guy kinda talked me out of it, he was pushing the 20 ft models hard and I did not want a boat that big. I am starting to see more of them on the water around here.

What city is this in? Hill county is a big area...
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 02:13 AM

From what I was priced you can buy the 210 out of state cheaper than the forthcoming 198.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
From what I was priced you can buy the 210 out of state cheaper than the forthcoming 198.

I have a feeling the price will come down once they actually finish production on a few. It’s kind of like that next years vehicle that demand is higher than possible production. They will have 2 - 19’rs. 1 traditional charger (#195) which is 19’3” rated for 200 and the champion 198 (19’8”) splash coming very soon and rated for 225. Both different but both are great boat designs. I would expect the 197 to settle in a price range right between the 195 and the 210/496.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
They've always been a good solid boat, but IMHO the old Chargers had that funky bow-down look that kept a lot of buyers away. Can tell from Barbarian's 496 above that the new models (Champion) look much better. Good looking boat.

That's not a Champion hull joebass. That's a straight Charger hull. The splashed Champion hulls still have the classic Champion stripe on it melded into the Charger 3 little rectangles. The hull is all Champion. Charger has done some interior modifications and the Charger guy at The Classic said they did "something" to the hull but I probably wouldn't be able to notice it. Looked like every other 210 Champion I ever saw. The quality looked much better than the Stratos Champions.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 04:22 AM

Charger Elite 210 (Champ hull) :

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob

That's not a Champion hull joebass. That's a straight Charger hull. The splashed Champion hulls still have the classic Champion stripe on it melded into the Charger 3 little rectangles. The hull is all Champion. Charger has done some interior modifications and the Charger guy at The Classic said they did "something" to the hull but I probably wouldn't be able to notice it. Looked like every other 210 Champion I ever saw. The quality looked much better than the Stratos Champions.

From my readings, which were a lot, Charger changed just enough of the top cap to keep from having a patent infringement.
Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 02:21 PM

Current dealers are Sartin marine on Fork, Blakes Boats in Corsicana, South East Tx Sports in Lumberton Texas, Texas Boats in Willis Texas near Conroe.
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 04:39 PM

Very few hulls have ever had a patent over the years. Allison having most of them. They just straight up splashed the 210 and when ever the topic comes up people in the know get tight lipped on the subject and you hear crickets. A splash is just changing the hull a certain percentage and they call it their own. Been done many times over the years with a bunch of different brands (Skeeter, Champion, Charger, Viper, Hawk, Legend, Cajun, ect ect ect). Is it a 100% splash? Good question, no one in the know is talking much on it when the topic comes up and we all know rumors and speculation float around everywhere. According to them its a "true Champion hull". Smart move on Chargers part, it's a nice rig and Chargers building them right an appear to be selling well.

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: RayBob

From my readings, which were a lot, Charger changed just enough of the top cap to keep from having a patent infringement.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 04:57 PM

My blue charger pictured is a model #496 which is a traditional Charger model.
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 05:00 PM

Yes, and a sweet rig at that. One of my favorite color combos.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)
Current dealers are Sartin marine on Fork, Blakes Boats in Corsicana, South East Tx Sports in Lumberton Texas, Texas Boats in Willis Texas near Conroe.

I think if Billy is now selling the 210 Charger at Sartin Marine this is going to be good for Charger. Billy is good people and has a great service department.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 06:26 PM

When I saw this thread, I was wondering if you'd post your boat. I don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge about Chargers but the first time I saw a pix of your boat a few years ago, that immediately became my favorite charger and got me a lot more interested in those boats!
Posted By: ETXHorseApple

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 07:39 PM

Ive been looking at the Charger line myself and have an eye on the 296 or 396 model, because my garage is only 22'0" deep and for storage purposes these models would fit. 296 is 21'4" and the 396 is 21'10"

I was wondering if anyone knew if the middle seat comes out and you can put a "Glove Box" there?
Also wondering what the storage length on the 210 is?
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 07:56 PM

In the process of buying a used 2005 496tf.. Drove her around the lake all day. So far it is one of the smoothest riding boats I have ever driven. I can only imagine they have improved over the years.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 5-20

When I saw this thread, I was wondering if you'd post your boat. I don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge about Chargers but the first time I saw a pix of your boat a few years ago, that immediately became my favorite charger and got me a lot more interested in those boats!

Thanks, I ordered it special and had to go to Missouri to pick it up. It's been more than I'd hoped for. The pic was taken at the Charger convention back in late 2012.

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 09:39 PM

Thanks, I ordered it special and had to go to Missouri to pick it up. It's been more than I'd hoped for. The pic was taken at the Charger convention back in late 2012.

Heck, I had to drive to Missouri to get mine and it wasn’t a special order - it was used. roflmao
Posted By: sarcazmo

Re: Charger Boats - 01/29/18 11:06 PM

Heck, I had to drive to Missouri to get mine and it wasn’t a special order - it was used. roflmao

I drove to missouri this past summer to get my 186 :-) I'm a huge fan.
Posted By: Blake's Boats

Re: Charger Boats - 01/31/18 09:15 PM

Hey guys, sorry I missed this thread until now. We've done very well with the new 210's this past year and have 3 being built currently along with 2 198's. Most people have argued that the price is a bit high on the 198, but what new boat isn't?
I've done some number crunching on the 198 lately and have been pleased with the selling numbers. It's just really hard to price a new boat and then factor in all the upgrades most of you guys want and still keep it in a range that you would be comfortable with.
Charger is a fantastic boat, and we are proud to be the #1 dealer in Texas for them. Give us a shout if anyone wants to talk about it, kick tires, or whatever.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Charger Boats - 01/31/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

Nice looking boat..

Nice boat???? What about that garage!!!!????!!!! dance2

Re: Charger Boats - 01/31/18 09:48 PM

Are there any pictures of this 198 elite anywhere?

Re: Charger Boats - 01/31/18 10:06 PM

None of a completed 198. I have a all white with dark silver pins and no other accents on order, and a dark gray (almost black) with orange pins and silver inserts as my second one. Basically it will look just like the 210 only a bit shorter. I've seen the prototype, but it's really tough to make out what it's going to look like with color.
Posted By: bassin518

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 04:32 AM

took a test drive in one last year in Houston at the classic.
blew me away!
I currently have a 2002 ranger205
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 12:38 PM

I looked at the 210 elite at Tulsa boat show this week it was a very good looking boat priced pretty good also.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 12:52 PM

Chargers world just got a whole lot bigger.
J&J hasn't sold any in a couple years and is no longer a dealer. Sartin Marine has now added Charger to their line to have options for people looking for a 18-19' fiberglass boat as well as the wide former Champion series 210 and soon the 198.
Charger is a family run company that has been building boats for over 40 years. They are a custom builder as you can pretty much pick all of the options, colors etc that you want. The standard boat does not have as many frills as a Legend and the standard pricing will reflect it.
Legend is still building the V-20s and have plans to continue at a minimum through 2019, the Charger line at Sartins is not to replace Legend but will add options for customers.
The biggest problem in the boating industry right now is apparently no one can keep up with the production demands, and not only boats but engines as well. Yamahas and Mercurys are getting hard to get and even some jack plates are 4+ weeks lead time.
I feel like once Charger gets caught up and Billy gets a few on his lot, you will see an explosion of Chargers in Texas.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
J&J hasn't sold any in a couple years and is no longer a dealer. Sartin Marine has now added Charger to their line to have options for people looking for a 18-19' fiberglass boat as well as the wide former Champion series 210 and soon the 198.
Charger is a family run company that has been building boats for over 40 years. They are a custom builder as you can pretty much pick all of the options, colors etc that you want. The standard boat does not have as many frills as a Legend and the standard pricing will reflect it.
Legend is still building the V-20s and have plans to continue at a minimum through 2019, the Charger line at Sartins is not to replace Legend but will add options for customers.
The biggest problem in the boating industry right now is apparently no one can keep up with the production demands, and not only boats but engines as well. Yamahas and Mercurys are getting hard to get and even some jack plates are 4+ weeks lead time.
I feel like once Charger gets caught up and Billy gets a few on his lot, you will see an explosion of Chargers in Texas.

Good write up and I totally agree Billy will defiantly sell boats.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 04:56 PM

A few pics of the 210 Elite. They are pretty sweet and have a few unique features like infrared camera for night vision that displays through your Lowrance at the console and heated seats.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 06:51 PM

I'll have 1 on our lot next week, then 2 more in the coming weeks, and 2 198's when they are complete.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/02/18 08:11 PM

Through January or December 2019?

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 01:51 AM

The way I understood it was their business plan that goes out 2 years so I think it's out through the end of 19.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 01:57 AM

Those are some nice looking boats
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Billy has never been defiant with me Guy?? roflmao

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Billy has never been defiant with me Guy?? roflmao

you definitely got me on that one. LOL
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 04:41 PM

Good looking boats...especially the Charger/Champ line. Does anyone know why they don't have a true "pro team" pushing the brand? Just curious...

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
Good looking boats...especially the Charger/Champ line. Does anyone know why they don't have a true "pro team" pushing the brand? Just curious...

Company philosophy has always seemed to not want to spend much money on marketing. They also build some high end pontoons and they probably consider themselves a custom bass boat builder with a special niche in the market. I think they only average about 50-75 bass boats a year and might not be able or want to handle much more than that. At those quantity levels, you couldn't cover your marketing expense or get a decent ROI without raising prices considerably.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 04:58 PM

Company philosophy has always seemed to not want to spend much money on marketing. They also build some high end pontoons and they probably consider themselves a custom bass boat builder with a special niche in the market. I think they only average about 50-75 bass boats a year and might not be able or want to handle much more than that. At those quantity levels, you couldn't cover your marketing expense or get a decent ROI without raising prices considerably.

Makes sense and smart business model on their part.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 05:21 PM

don't think most folk care about what pros are running a boat line its not like they can fish like kvd if they buy a nitro.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 05:55 PM

Well they must be doing something right. I think the are now the oldest family owned bass boat company left, now that BC sold. The 210 Elite look good.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
don't think most folk care about what pros are running a boat line its not like they can fish like kvd if they buy a nitro.

I agree with this 100%. I do think they bring the brands up for people to look at tho. I am not sure how much that really sales boats. I think people buy boats more because that is the boat their dad,brother ,or friend owns that they have rode in or fished out of.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 06:14 PM

Well they must be doing something right. I think the are now the oldest family owned bass boat company left, now that BC sold. The 210 Elite look good.

You have to admire a company for sticking to its roots and being successful. Bullet operates much the same way. Very conservatively. The new 210 Elite is the first Charger that has ever caught my eye.

I've seen a few of them around but was never a fan. Larry Barnes used to run one back 25 years ago on Fork. You could tell it was a solid well-made craft just not appealing to me.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/03/18 08:10 PM

They do have a guy on the FLW tour running a charger but he is not a househould name. Its probably just not in their business plan the way they run things, pro gator is another brand you don't see much marketing about but they have been around for a long time too.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Charger Boats - 02/04/18 03:43 AM

Buddy of mine is on his second Charger. Well built and very solid boats. For many years Charger focused more on pontoons. They are made local in the Ozarks but not real popular on LOZ. By numbers I would say on LOZ 1. Ranger 2. Bass Cat 3. Phoenix. 4. Triton We have a few Legends, Skeeters and Chargers.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/08/18 09:50 PM

Sneak peek of my next 210 for anyone that might be interested!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Charger Boats - 02/08/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Blake's Boats

WoW, looks like Bullet isn't the only one who can pull off a green boat and make it look good.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 12:08 AM

Does the boat come with the rigger in the picture?
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 12:48 AM

that boat is sick looking

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 03:33 AM

Not a fan the black boats with green highlights but I see plenty of kids with flat brims in skeeters that color
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 11:28 AM

That would be my color, black and lime green is bad to the bone.

My 921 is black, lime green and silver.

Don't worry, you don't have to wear a flat brim hat to run a lime green boat or be young.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 12:04 PM

Cannot wait until I see the finished product....wish I was in position to get a new one. I'm thinking # 1 pick for me would be 210 Elite. Hopefully, tomorrow will come.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Not a fan the black boats with green highlights but I see plenty of kids with flat brims in skeeters that color

Is your belly jelly?
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JMac-D

that boat is sick looking

May be why that guy is throwing up in it, lol.
Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 03:52 PM

I will get to see that in person very soon. I will be on my way to pick it up and deliver to Blake's Boats. Can't wait to see it in person.

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 05:23 PM

That is a nice looking boat for sure. I have always like those colors. I am just not a dark interior person for the Texas summers. HOT HOT HOT
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Charger Boats - 02/09/18 05:53 PM

If I had a choice what boat to be in when a storm blew up on any lake, it would be a Champion or Charger. Both are fine boats.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum