Texas Fishing Forum

When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel?

Posted By: BassAttack1225

When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 06:50 PM

I have notoriously put too much line on my reels... whats the best way for me to fix that?
Posted By: squib

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 07:03 PM

Get some oldish line you have in a similar pound test. Fill the reel to where you like it. Then walk off 75 yards of that line. Cut that much off. Tie the new line to the old. Spool on 75 yards of the new.

Going forward you now always know how much to add on. Just strip your line off until you get to the splice.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 07:43 PM

Spool it to within 1/16" from the spool edge.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 08:42 PM

I do 1/8
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
I do 1/8

That's what I usually do too.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 10:26 PM

1/8
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 10:57 PM

Quit doing it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 11:00 PM

I always hear a lighter spool will cast better but my my reels have always cast best when full of line(seems backwards due the extra weight thing). I fill mine to around 1/8” from full.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: squib
Get some oldish line you have in a similar pound test. Fill the reel to where you like it. Then walk off 75 yards of that line. Cut that much off. Tie the new line to the old. Spool on 75 yards of the new.

Going forward you now always know how much to add on. Just strip your line off until you get to the splice.
Good idea here, about to respool all my reels for the start of the season. 75 is plenty, right? I do not see being able to cast any where close to that? That is a good number for buying 150 spools and maximizing them if this method works well...
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/24/18 11:41 PM

I do 1/16 to spoil lip.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/25/18 12:31 AM

Fill em up to within 1/16” of the lip on baitcasters. A full reel always casts better. Just remember to set an extra brake when you fill it full. After you have cut & retied several times use one less brake.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/25/18 01:01 PM

I generally ask my brother when he thinks it looks about full. Then I crank down about 25 more turns cause I can cast further than most people.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/25/18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

Great tip...I used to fill my whole spool with expensive fluro lines...until I realized I never used over half of it. Started doing the same thing, reel on some cheapo line...and tie about 75 yard of fluro to it...I do the same with braid.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/26/18 09:00 PM

You can have too much line on your reel. If you have a 1/16 gap or 1/8 gap and can't get your centrifugal or whatever brake adjustments to keep you from backlashing try reducing the amount of line on your spool and readjusting your brake weights, etc to get better results. In some cases you may have to go to a longer and softer rod as well. Getting distance or speed with lighter baits can test your limits especially if you have to make quick short flat casts into overhanging cover.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/26/18 09:08 PM

easy, 1/8th.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/26/18 09:46 PM

Was flipping willows with a buddy one day, in a tournament. we've been in the water about 15 minutes and he's already backlashed about 10 times. He had respooled the night before and had WAY too much line. So he makes a really long cast on the opposite side of the boat into open water, cuts his line and starts hand lining it in. I'm ignoring the dumb azz and concentrating on the willows, he yells he's got one. I'm like, whatever, quit screwing around. He boat flips a 7 pounder, puts his hands on his hips, and says, " if they ever start hitting a rod and reel you might actually catch something."
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/26/18 09:55 PM

^^^^ that is classic!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/26/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
Was flipping willows with a buddy one day, in a tournament. we've been in the water about 15 minutes and he's already backlashed about 10 times. He had respooled the night before and had WAY too much line. So he makes a really long cast on the opposite side of the boat into open water, cuts his line and starts hand lining it in. I'm ignoring the dumb azz and concentrating on the willows, he yells he's got one. I'm like, whatever, quit screwing around. He boat flips a 7 pounder, puts his hands on his hips, and says, " if they ever start hitting a rod and reel you might actually catch something."

Were you flipping all the willows in Toppers on Ft Gibson? That's a funny story.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/27/18 01:22 AM

Sooooooo close Tom, Long Bay.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/27/18 01:23 AM

You are supposed to change line?
Posted By: otay michael

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/27/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
You are supposed to change line?

roflmao
Posted By: mbassn

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/27/18 04:52 AM

I fill mine up to where the spool is beveled. Never have an issue with backlashing unless I do something to cause it.
Posted By: TX Rig

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/27/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: mbassn
I fill mine up to where the spool is beveled. Never have an issue with backlashing unless I do something to cause it.

Sounds Right to me. Do the same here.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/28/18 09:46 PM

I read on a popular fishing site that with baitcasters you don't need to fill the entire spool for casting distance. Leaving around 1/8" has been my rule of thumb for both spinning & baitcasting reels.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/18/21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel
I generally ask my brother when he thinks it looks about full. Then I crank down about 25 more turns cause I can cast further than most people.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/18/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
I do 1/8

This here
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/18/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Spool it to within 1/16" from the spool edge.

This but make sure you put the line on tight ...
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/18/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mbassn

Bingo, this is it, when overfilling with smaller diameter, there is usually no isse, but with larger diameter line, it is alwasys and issue when you over fill. You wont know until you start fishing and thats when it is the worst. When spooling the line goes on with the same amount of tensions vs when fishing on the water.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: When spooling line... whats the best way to know I have enough line on my reel? - 01/19/21 01:38 AM

1/16" - 1/8" will do it or to the bevel on the spool or if the spool has a fill line then you are good to go! fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum