Texas Fishing Forum

Biggest Bust in Bass fishing

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 03:10 AM

It's discussed in other sports like Football or Basketball quite regularly. Who was a can't miss pro that never made it?
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 03:24 AM

You.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 03:32 AM

take this to the off topic lol it will be more fun but probably KVD not making the classic last year I think was a pretty big bust for the worlds greatest fisherman lol
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 03:34 AM

How many years has KVD made the classic? It's not always the same players in the all star game ever year.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 03:51 AM

I hate to say it but Gerald Swindle. Right now he's like Phil Mickleson was before he won his first major in golf. G-Man has never won an Elite event or the classic. Two AOY's is incredible but I think he needs to win a couple before he can become a complete legend. JMO.
Posted By: Texas T

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 04:37 AM

Byron Velvick and Jeff Kriet. Lots of hoopla little results.
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 04:51 AM

I was really looking forward to pics in this thread. LOL
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
I was really looking forward to pics in this thread. LOL
roflmao roflmao
roflmao roflmao

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
It's discussed in other sports like Football or Basketball quite regularly. Who was a can't miss pro that never made it?

Good thing you specified, without that people might tbink you want to know who has the biggest moobs.
Back on topic. Too many too tell. I wonder how many are "can't miss" but just didn't have the money to ride it out.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: thirtysixit
I hate to say it but Gerald Swindle. Right now he's like Phil Mickleson was before he won his first major in golf. G-Man has never won an Elite event or the classic. Two AOY's is incredible but I think he needs to win a couple before he can become a complete legend. JMO.

Fake news. When you have the likes of Carl Jocumson or Chad Grigsby that didn’t last past the two years grace.. should he win? Sure.. biggest bust? Nope
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 06:40 AM

Jeff Kreit. I always enjoyed watching him fish but he never quite got it done.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 12:40 PM

Takes a lot of money to fish with the big boys and I'm sure there were/are some who would have made it but for the lack of money. We'll see how far Jordan Lee's success in the Classic last year takes him.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 02:08 PM

Wasn't Robby Rose supposed to be a hot new semi-pro? That bust was pretty big.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: chickenfried76

roflmao
Yeah, but it all comes down to money. If he had more money he could have cheated better.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: H2ODawg67

roflmao
Yeah, but it all comes down to money. If he had more money he could have cheated better.

I heard he's coming back as SNOBBY NOSE. Gotta disguise and this time he ain't divulging any secrets of flickering shad spawns like in the past. That's what got him busted....
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 02:49 PM

He is the all time money winner on Bass Champs

I think he won over 10 boats
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 02:51 PM

Squaw Creek roflmao
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: tx2va07
Squaw Creek roflmao

lake cooper
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: meP2too
Originally Posted By: tx2va07
Squaw Creek roflmao

lake cooper

+1
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 08:58 PM

DD's everywhere spawning on horizontal tree limbs... miss those days.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 10:01 PM

Here is a pro that started at an early age, was innovative, very nice soft spoken angler, but never won much.

https://www.flwfishing.com/anglers/zell-rowland-195604

Posted By: rj74955

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/21/18 11:45 PM

I wouldn't by any stretch call Zell Rowland a bust, he made a lifelong career out of bass fishing and was one of the best topwater fisherman of all time. That was just his FLW stats, he fished BASS for many years also.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 12:25 AM

From a tournament record standpoint this would be in the conversation. 35 Bass Opens without a top 30 finish. $750 career winnings. Still has a goal of qualifying for the Elites.

However from running it as a business has done pretty well. Seems to be making a living off it.

Just depends on how you define bust. There have been a number that get in the Elites and in two years have done little.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

roflmao

I heard he's coming back as SNOBBY NOSE. Gotta disguise and this time he ain't divulging any secrets of flickering shad spawns like in the past. That's what got him busted....

How did that get him busted? I didn't hear that part of the story.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:17 AM

A one time bust.. Keith Combs at the Conroe Classic.. he struggled mightily!

BD
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:32 AM

Scroggins. I would also agree with Swindle until he actually wins an event at the tour level, Palaniuk already has multiple wins and only been there a fraction of the time.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Scroggins. I would also agree with Swindle until he actually wins an event at the tour level, Palaniuk already has multiple wins and only been there a fraction of the time.

What Palaniuk has done in his short career is very special. Being from Idaho makes it remarkable. He will be a legend some day.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:46 AM

Cant believe people are posting Swindle. Would think its a hell of a lot harder to win 2 AOY titles than to win 1 tournament.

Perhaps not dominant, but consistant.

He was a little lucky on the 2nd one, but still.

2 1/2 million career earnings, hardly a bust.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 07:31 AM

Gerald Swindle fits into the category of "Best angler that hasn't won a tour level event"

There is no doubt he is an incredible angler and also one of my favorites. He'll achieve legend status if he can snag a classic victory before he hangs em up.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Here is a pro that started at an early age, was innovative, very nice soft spoken angler, but never won much.

You should do a bit more research.

https://www.bassmaster.com/anglers/zell-rowland

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 01:38 PM

I was thinking guys like Chad Griffin, Jamie Fralick and Derek Remitz.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 02:04 PM

Jay Brainard. He destroyed the central opens and couldn't do any good in the elites.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
take this to the off topic lol it will be more fun but probably KVD not making the classic last year I think was a pretty big bust for the worlds greatest fisherman lol

KVD was in the Classic last year

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Funny your bring up Remitz Fouz. After his Amistad win I was expecting big things, as I'm sure he was too. Kid could fish.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
Jay Brainard. He destroyed the central opens and couldn't do any good in the elites.

Watched him closely after his 2nd place win on Ross Barnett as that was my home body of water. He smoked em for sure ended up losing to a local by ounces.

Now he's a guide on Mille Lacs... What's up with that...
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

Jay's a good friend of mine and we travel the Opens together. He a had tough time on the Elites...it's a huge adjustment, but he'll be back. He's been a fierce competitor all his life in several disciplines. Don't count him out yet.

Yes, he's guiding on Mille Lacs now for steady income, but is also fishing the Opens again to requalify.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 03:42 PM

Isn't he the classic cheater like Brady and Bellichek? Ridiculous
Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Longeye

Don't think it was cheating..yes he was DQ'd for his boat driving, not sure that counts as cheating. He didn't gain anything from doing what he did.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 04:38 PM

Funny your bring up Remitz Fouz. After his Amistad win I was expecting big things, as I'm sure he was too. Kid could fish.
He came very close to winning the classic in 2011, what a difference a few fish could have made.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Don't think it was cheating..yes he was DQ'd for his boat driving, not sure that counts as cheating. He didn't gain anything from doing what he did.

Was being sarcastic because of all the Pat's haters. Swindle seems like a good dude.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Was being sarcastic because of all the Pat's haters. Swindle seems like a good dude.

Thank goodness, because I'm a Pats fan..lol People hate winners.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 05:51 PM

Just an observation but it seems like a lot of these guys that put their mind into qualifying through the opens put weeks into scouting each lake and do very well. Once they make it to the Elites and have just a few days they can't repeat that success.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
Just an observation but it seems like a lot of these guys that put their mind into qualifying through the opens put weeks into scouting each lake and do very well. Once they make it to the Elites and have just a few days they can't repeat that success.

I think you might be on to something there.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 07:04 PM

Fishing for their own money just doesnt seem like a Professional sport. It just a higher priced trail.
Some can afford it, most cant. So talent and hard work isnt enough.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

A little easier to put in the time for practice when the lakes are more localized as they are in the Opens.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude

It's easier to qualify through the opens.

The "locals" usually occupy the top slots at each event. Then the local that placed well on his/her own lake TANKS severely on other lakes. The person that is consistent on all lakes places higher in the points.

My case is proof. I fished miserably my first tourney. Somewhere around 80th out of 240. Second tourney I was 18th. Third tourney I was 4th. Finished in the top 10 in points for the year.

A friend of mine faired similarly without the poor 80th. He fished in the top 40 each event....never winning or even close....but finished in the top 4 in points and fished the elites last year.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 08:00 PM

Man, I would have a hard time calling ANY of the guys named a bust, except for Rose. All phenomenal fishermen,,,, even Velvick is a sight fishing machine. But I can tell you 2 things that have busted a lot of them out of the bigs, money and more money. There is an art to talking people into investing in your dream, and about 99% of the best natural fishermen in the world don't have that gift. Bass fishing is making strides, with high school teams and college scholarships and MLF and whatnot. But as long as it's a pay to play "sport", I can't call any of these guys a bust. I can't imagine how some of these guys can focus on fishing, truly focus, when they are trying to scrounge up enough money to make it to the next tournament.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 08:07 PM

Evers almost went broke and quit before he got a nice loan to continue then started winning.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
Man, I would have a hard time calling ANY of the guys named a bust, except for Rose. All phenomenal fishermen,,,, even Velvick is a sight fishing machine. But I can tell you 2 things that have busted a lot of them out of the bigs, money and more money. There is an art to talking people into investing in your dream, and about 99% of the best natural fishermen in the world don't have that gift. Bass fishing is making strides, with high school teams and college scholarships and MLF and whatnot. But as long as it's a pay to play "sport", I can't call any of these guys a bust. I can't imagine how some of these guys can focus on fishing, truly focus, when they are trying to scrounge up enough money to make it to the next tournament.

Well put.

I'm a hard guy to get to know. And for that, I suffer in the public relation dept! When I was sponsored years ago (in a different, but just as expensive form of competition), I was fronting every bit of my own way for three years. During those three years, I won two world championships. Beating factory and factory supported TEAMS. I was finally approached by a company the 3rd year and they said instead of me beating their efforts, they'd support mine. And again for the 4th and 5th world titles.

It is the same for fishing(though NOT for me ...I'm not good enough), a lot of really great anglers will never get factory backing for the sport because of their personalities or appearance. At least not until they front their own way into the top and make the companies see the value in not losing to them.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
Evers almost went broke and quit before he got a nice loan to continue then started winning.

And now he's probably the #2 most established guy out there behind the guy from Michigan. Another example, Evers brother in law, Terry Butcher Jr.,,,, truly one of the most gifted natural fisherman and nicest guys ever. Give everyone a spinnerbait, a squarebill, no electronics and no information and I would put my money on Butcher all day every day. But the big time is a whole different animal.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Well put.

I'm a hard guy to get to know. And for that, I suffer in the public relation dept! When I was sponsored years ago (in a different, but just as expensive form of competition), I was fronting every bit of my own way for three years. During those three years, I won two world championships. Beating factory and factory supported TEAMS. I was finally approached by a company the 3rd year and they said instead of me beating their efforts, they'd support mine. And again for the 4th and 5th world titles.

It is the same for fishing(though NOT for me ...I'm not good enough), a lot of really great anglers will never get factory backing for the sport because of their personalities or appearance. At least not until they front their own way into the top and make the companies see the value in not losing to them.

" When I was sponsored years ago (in a different, but just as expensive form of competition), I was fronting every bit of my own way for three years. During those three years, I won two world championships. Beating factory and factory supported TEAMS."

Let me guess, you were a professional ice skater. thumb
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 10:47 PM

I'm also always blown away by guys that pull a David Duval, David Fritts immediately comes to mind.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: PieFiller1
I'm also always blown away by guys that pull a David Duval, David Fritts immediately comes to mind.

confused Fritts was a solid contender for an entire decade. Dominant? No, but you could really only saddle one fellow with that description. He consistently cashed checks throughout the 90s.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: PieFiller1

confused Fritts was a solid contender for an entire decade. Dominant? No, but you could really only saddle one fellow with that description. He consistently cashed checks throughout the 90s.

Duval hurt his back in a snowboarding accident and battled Vertigo too, otherwise his career is totally different. He will do very well on the Champions when that time comes.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 11:05 PM

Very well said. Excellent point.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Well put.

" When I was sponsored years ago (in a different, but just as expensive form of competition), I was fronting every bit of my own way for three years. During those three years, I won two world championships. Beating factory and factory supported TEAMS."

Nah.....but close. You hint is in your guess.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 11:25 PM

Well put.

Oh, you modeled Guess Jeans, yeah that's the ticket.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/22/18 11:50 PM

Well put.

Skateborder/skater ?

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 02:19 AM

Wow I missed a huge part of his winnings. I always liked Zell and I modified my pop r's like he said to do.
Posted By: 1bas

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 03:21 AM

I wouldn't call him a bust, but all of the older guys on here probably remember Ricky Green. AKA(Mr. Spinnerbait or Mr.Consistency) As I recall he didn't win many tournaments, but finished 2nd in very many. And I believe 3 or 4, 2nd place Classic finishes. In the early 80's Bassmaster did a article on him, and at the time he had finished in the more times % wise than anyone. I do not know if he is still with us or not, as I haven't heard his name in probably 30 years.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 1bas
I wouldn't call him a bust, but all of the older guys on here probably remember Ricky Green. AKA(Mr. Spinnerbait or Mr.Consistency) As I recall he didn't win many tournaments, but finished 2nd in very many. And I believe 3 or 4, 2nd place Classic finishes. In the early 80's Bassmaster did a article on him, and at the time he had finished in the more times % wise than anyone. I do not know if he is still with us or not, as I haven't heard his name in probably 30 years.

Ricky passed in 2014 from an infection after a lung transplant. He was inducted into the bass fishing hall of fame in 2005.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 01:00 PM

So many great sports cross-over analogies.

I would consider Swindle one of the greats, far from a bust. His analogue? A baseball guy who hits for average, not so many homers. Maybe the best model to follow for an aspiring pro angler. Get paid.

Then, you have anglers who compare to Fran Tarkenton (QB) or Jim Ryun (miler) who were/are super athletes with super records, but never won the big one. Many names slot in here.

Some who won but just had a lot of luck - - - similar to Terry Bradshaw: 4 SBs but a low percentage completion ratio and just average QB stats.

Guys who are industry faves and celebrities but never won all that much. More impressive personalities than trophy cases.

Then, guys really good on certain lakes or conditions, really situational guys. Tons of them.

One hit wonders. Look like "can't miss" careers then disappear. Tons of them.

Rich kids where daddy can set them up with 6 figure investments in boats/gear, buy themselves into a sport. Leading edge technology toys, still can't fish. Some of these, too.

Brad

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
So many great sports cross-over analogies.

I would consider Swindle one of the greats, far from a bust. His analogue? A baseball guy who hits for average, not so many homers. Maybe the best model to follow for an aspiring pro angler. Get paid.

Then, you have anglers who compare to Fran Tarkenton (QB) or Jim Ryun (miler) who were/are super athletes with super records, but never won the big one. Many names slot in here.

Some who won but just had a lot of luck - - - similar to Terry Bradshaw: 4 SBs but a low percentage completion ratio and just average QB stats.

Guys who are industry faves and celebrities but never won all that much. More impressive personalities than trophy cases.

Then, guys really good on certain lakes or conditions, really situational guys. Tons of them.

One hit wonders. Look like "can't miss" careers then disappear. Tons of them.

Rich kids where daddy can set them up with 6 figure investments in boats/gear, buy themselves into a sport. Leading edge technology toys, still can't fish. Some of these, too.

Brad

I don't think there's any way you can compare athletes that compete as individuals to ones in team sports. Way to many variables. If you want to compare Swindle to Jack Nicklaus, Mike Tyson, Carl Lewis or Mark Spitz then you can maybe make an analogy but comparing Swindle to Fran Tarkington ( was not a great athlete ) just won't work.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 05:24 PM

Chad Griffin

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 05:58 PM

I don't have the stats to prove it, but I would say there are more people that fish for bass than there are people that play ANY sport, except maybe golf or soccer. There are a hundred and some slots in the elites and FLW. If a guy makes it there for 1 tournament and drops out, is he a bust? And if a guy hangs around for 2 or 3 years, unless he's independently wealthy I call that miraculous.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
Chad Griffin
Chad Griffin

"We didn't catch 60+,might have boatd in the 30
should,we didn't have fun expept alot more thie time of yearhope you get ready you'll be calling mr or E-MILK to a foods donatiom,,,Arter drin some red bullmdnd Vodlea"

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 06:24 PM

^^^^^^

That was Classic.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 08:49 PM

^^^^^^

That was Classic.

Cameron had some funny comments on that line of dialogue.... roflmao
Good recall Doug...
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: furim2
Originally Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king

KVD was in the Classic last year
And had a top ten finish!

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Chad Griffin
Chad Griffin

"We didn't catch 60+,might have boatd in the 30
should,we didn't have fun expept alot more thie time of yearhope you get ready you'll be calling mr or E-MILK to a foods donatiom,,,Arter drin some red bullmdnd Vodlea"

I remember that... roflmao
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
^^^^^^

That was Classic.

Cameron had some funny comments on that line of dialogue.... roflmao
Good recall Doug...

that thread went sideways rather quickly
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/23/18 11:42 PM

This is not a topic that should be discussed on an open forum. Everyone of the guys mentioned as a bust has caught them good at certain points or they would not have achieved what they did. You take a guy out of his element and he will struggle. We will all see what the no info rule BASS put out for this year affects some of the guys. Granted some of these guys will catch them but a bunch will struggle and you may see guys like Jeff Kriet rise some do to this new rule. I have been asked many times why I have not tried to qualify for the elites through the opens its simple that I am happy with my life as is. These guys that are getting bashed on here took a chance is it fair to bash them? I don't think so every fisherman has a dream and to be honest I am almost 50 years old and if I was to do the opens deal and qualify I doubt I would accept the invitation. The Elite series or FLW is something that you have to be 110% in or you will never do anything I think the exception is Jordan Lee, this kid is unbelievable. He can catch them anywhere and if there ever was a person close to KVD he is it, the kid is just a fish catching machine. He will win a lot in years to come and to me may be the best there is right now. But to bash guys who took a chance is not really the thing to be doing, every angler that qualifies for the upper tier series is a hammer or he would not be there.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 01:21 AM

Me too
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 04:39 AM

Jason Quinn comes to mind.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Westside Bass

Me too

Lots of guys seem to (like above) imo, catch a big wave, they ride it up in glory, then ride it down in failure..

They can still out fish me.... cry
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Ned
This is not a topic that should be discussed on an open forum. Everyone of the guys mentioned as a bust has caught them good at certain points or they would not have achieved what they did. You take a guy out of his element and he will struggle. We will all see what the no info rule BASS put out for this year affects some of the guys. Granted some of these guys will catch them but a bunch will struggle and you may see guys like Jeff Kriet rise some do to this new rule. I have been asked many times why I have not tried to qualify for the elites through the opens its simple that I am happy with my life as is. These guys that are getting bashed on here took a chance is it fair to bash them? I don't think so every fisherman has a dream and to be honest I am almost 50 years old and if I was to do the opens deal and qualify I doubt I would accept the invitation. The Elite series or FLW is something that you have to be 110% in or you will never do anything I think the exception is Jordan Lee, this kid is unbelievable. He can catch them anywhere and if there ever was a person close to KVD he is it, the kid is just a fish catching machine. He will win a lot in years to come and to me may be the best there is right now. But to bash guys who took a chance is not really the thing to be doing, every angler that qualifies for the upper tier series is a hammer or he would not be there.

Amen brother....this entire thread reeks....who is anyone to call someone a "Bust". There are so many variables, including money and family issues that no one can know about that affect decision making....throw in injuries and just
Plain bad luck

I admire anyone who had the stones to chase a dream.....the rest of us are just "busts" who never gave it a shot

Before you call someone a "bust", look in the mirror and judge yourself
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 01:06 PM

Chad won the Oneida Open in a Elite Series and took home like $100K

Only TFF member I know who has won an BassMaster Elite Series.......
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
[quote=chickenfried76]Wasn't Robby Rose supposed to be a hot new semi-pro? That bust was pretty big.

roflmao

http://www.espn.com/general/page2/story?id=5164736&src=desktop

This sheds light

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/24/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: gut hooked

Amen brother....this entire thread reeks....who is anyone to call someone a "Bust". There are so many variables, including money and family issues that no one can know about that affect decision making....throw in injuries and just
Plain bad luck

I admire anyone who had the stones to chase a dream.....the rest of us are just "busts" who never gave it a shot

Before you call someone a "bust", look in the mirror and judge yourself

It was a question, I don't think anyone is bashing anyone. By your same logic, we should never discuss biggest 1st round draft choice busts at NFL QB, major League pitching or any other high level sport. Guys with talent get to the big leagues only to find out they aren't able to make the transition and stay there.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:22 AM

Here is the original posted question, I wish I could have been a bust, at least I made it to the big show..Awesome.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:47 AM

If it was ALL about talent and hard work then lots of guys that busted out would be household bass fishing names.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 04:08 AM

Don't know if y'all have heard of him, but one of the guys I respect the most is Takiheri Omari (spelled wrong probably.)

Check this video out about him.. This will make you proud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKgAkTaaUU

This dude has earned all my respect for the bass fishing community...

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
Don't know if y'all have heard of him, but one of the guys I respect the most is Takiheri Omari (spelled wrong probably.)

That guy is NOT a Bust, still sacking them up, great talent, of course he lives in Emory where I have a house... banana I'm just a little bit of a homer...
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:19 PM

Wow I missed a huge part of his winnings. I always liked Zell and I modified my pop r's like he said to do.

Zell is a good guy. Never had a job other than pro angler. thumb

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:30 PM

Joe & his wife Toshiko Axton at Fork took him into their home like a son when he moved to Emory. He lived with them for a short time before he built a home there. Pretty cool story of a young man that traveled across the Big Pond to follow his dreams against all odds.

10 Things You May Not Know About Bass Fishing Pro Takahiro Omori

Here are 10 things fishing fans might not know about 2004 Bassmaster Classic champion Takahiro Omori:

When he is at home between tournaments, T.O. likes being a couch potato. "I like to rest at home," said the Japanese pro who resides in Emory, Texas, on the shores of Lake Fork. "I also like to spend time with my friends."
When he first came to the United States, Omori traveled to tournaments in a small rental car. "I spent 40 days and nights in a rental car," he recalled. "I only stayed in a motel for two days to save some money."
He owns a full-sized swimming pool, but has never gone swimming in it. The $25,000 pool, which features a 1-inch stripe down the middle of it, is used exclusively for testing and tuning lures. It ranges in depth from 4 to 8 feet.
Although Omori's reading consists almost entirely of fishing magazines he is a fan of Formula One racing, as well as tennis, golf and baseball.
His best personality trait: "I am very honest. If I say it's good, it's good. If I say it's junk, it's junk."
His worst trait: "Not having enough time to take care of and develop a relationship with a woman." Because the 36-year-old lives, breathes and sleeps fishing, T.O. says he has no time for a relationship.
Omori has attended Rick Clunn's Advanced Angling & Outdoor Awareness School, which is held on the four-time Bassmaster Classic champion's Missouri farm. Attendees camp out and learn methods of reawakening their intuitive abilities and get in tune with nature.
In 2004, Omori took the unusual step of traveling to Alabama to practice for three days with Clunn in preparation for a Bassmaster Elite 50 tournament on the Alabama River. He turned down his idol's invitation to fish during the practice period, saying he wanted to watch and learn from Clunn. "That's one of the things I admire about Takahiro - he doesn't let his ego get in the way of learning," Clunn said. "In our sport, anglers are afraid to learn from other anglers, particularly well-known anglers. And I don't understand that because even Tiger Woods has a coach. As good as he is he still feels he can learn from a coach. Fortunately for Takahiro, that's not a problem for him. He's not afraid to learn."
Omori took English courses at Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth and today speaks the language fluently.
Takahiro's parents did not want him to come to the U.S. to pursue a career in fishing. His decision caused a rift between them. That was all forgotten when his parents traveled from Tokyo to attend the 2001 Bassmaster Classic on the Louisiana Delta in New Orleans, La. "They came here for the Classic and had a great time," he said. "They got to see me in the Classic." Sadly, his father passed away soon after returning to Japan and never got to see Omori's Classic victory on Lake Wylie.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Joe & his wife Toshiko Axton at Fork took him into their home like a son when he moved to Emory. He lived with them for a short time before he built a home there. Pretty cool story of a young man that traveled across the Big Pond to follow his dreams against all odds.

I still remember that like yesterday. Back when that side of the lake (Axtons and Rainswood) were the place to be on the lake. I remember the first time I saw him in there after a week day night tournament and I asked Joe who he was, he told me he was an up and coming fishing star from Japan. I laughed. Man was I wrong. Dude can flat out fish!

But as far bust/disappointment goes, Im gonna have to say Kelly Jordan. But Im not gonna call him a bust. More of a disappointment. The guy can flat out fish and is still one of my favorite anglers. Im just surprised he hasn't had any wins or top finishes in a long time!

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 02:57 PM

Here are 10 things fishing fans might not know about 2004 Bassmaster Classic champion Takahiro Omori:

When he is at home between tournaments, T.O. likes being a couch potato. "I like to rest at home," said the Japanese pro who resides in Emory, Texas, on the shores of Lake Fork. "I also like to spend time with my friends."
When he first came to the United States, Omori traveled to tournaments in a small rental car. "I spent 40 days and nights in a rental car," he recalled. "I only stayed in a motel for two days to save some money."
He owns a full-sized swimming pool, but has never gone swimming in it. The $25,000 pool, which features a 1-inch stripe down the middle of it, is used exclusively for testing and tuning lures. It ranges in depth from 4 to 8 feet.
Although Omori's reading consists almost entirely of fishing magazines he is a fan of Formula One racing, as well as tennis, golf and baseball.
His best personality trait: "I am very honest. If I say it's good, it's good. If I say it's junk, it's junk."
His worst trait: "Not having enough time to take care of and develop a relationship with a woman." Because the 36-year-old lives, breathes and sleeps fishing, T.O. says he has no time for a relationship.
Omori has attended Rick Clunn's Advanced Angling & Outdoor Awareness School, which is held on the four-time Bassmaster Classic champion's Missouri farm. Attendees camp out and learn methods of reawakening their intuitive abilities and get in tune with nature.
In 2004, Omori took the unusual step of traveling to Alabama to practice for three days with Clunn in preparation for a Bassmaster Elite 50 tournament on the Alabama River. He turned down his idol's invitation to fish during the practice period, saying he wanted to watch and learn from Clunn. "That's one of the things I admire about Takahiro - he doesn't let his ego get in the way of learning," Clunn said. "In our sport, anglers are afraid to learn from other anglers, particularly well-known anglers. And I don't understand that because even Tiger Woods has a coach. As good as he is he still feels he can learn from a coach. Fortunately for Takahiro, that's not a problem for him. He's not afraid to learn."
Omori took English courses at Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth and today speaks the language fluently.
Takahiro's parents did not want him to come to the U.S. to pursue a career in fishing. His decision caused a rift between them. That was all forgotten when his parents traveled from Tokyo to attend the 2001 Bassmaster Classic on the Louisiana Delta in New Orleans, La. "They came here for the Classic and had a great time," he said. "They got to see me in the Classic." Sadly, his father passed away soon after returning to Japan and never got to see Omori's Classic victory on Lake Wylie.

He's a cool guy, though he lives in Emory/Fork you hardly ever see him, at least I don't. You see his truck and boat headed down the hwy to points unknown... Highly respected dude.. Thanks for that write up Ken cheers

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

I still remember that like yesterday. Back when that side of the lake (Axtons and Rainswood) were the place to be on the lake. I remember the first time I saw him in there after a week day night tournament and I asked Joe who he was, he told me he was an up and coming fishing star from Japan. I laughed. Man was I wrong. Dude can flat out fish!

But as far bust/disappointment goes, Im gonna have to say Kelly Jordan. But Im not gonna call him a bust. More of a disappointment. The guy can flat out fish and is still one of my favorite anglers. Im just surprised he hasn't had any wins or top finishes in a long time!

LOL, me too, you had to cut the cigarette smoke with a machete to eat lunch... nuts It bothered me, and I smoked, just not when I ate..
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 03:07 PM

At least I didn't smoke back then..... bolt

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 10:58 PM

Fouzman, I am not really saying that can't miss guys that do bust may or may not be a bust is all on talent. You can not compare to NFL, MLB, NBA etc. because those guys are under guarantee contract money. What I was trying to say is guys that get the invite to the upper level may not be really sure of what they are getting into. Take for instance NFL pays all travel expenses etc. BASS don't plus entry fees that are what 5,000.00 per event. Then there is the travel , before off-limits practice plus actual tournament practice days and then the event. I guess what I am really trying to say is that a person can qualify for the upper tier tours but the money involved (without sponsors major help) would be incredible. The reason some of the guys make the upper tier tours and so called bust may be due to the fact they do not have the money all the obligations to fulfill what it takes to do all the prepractice before off limits, obligations from having young kids. etc. As everyone on here knows on the water experience is everything and if you are not familiar with that body of water and what the fish are doing you probably won't cash a check. That just wasted several thousand dollars that you will not recoup without a win in a tournament year. Take 3-4 events without checks and add entries, tournament travel, gas, etc. you will be on the bad end of it and this happens to really good anglers. It is not that often that rookies like Dustin and Jamie have the years like they had last year. That is extremely rare. I for one am a huge Jeff Kriet fan (maybe its the redneck in us both) but Kriet is not a household name atop the leaderboards but he can catch them. He does not have the sponsors others have and had to have the Ultrex put on his boat out of his own pocket. No sponsor paid for it, how many other guys are fighting this is probably more than less. So there is no way to compare BASS to NFL or the players would be buying their own helmets, pads etc.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 11:20 PM

Fouzman, I am not really saying that can't miss guys that do bust may or may not be a bust is all on talent. You can not compare to NFL, MLB, NBA etc. because those guys are under guarantee contract money. What I was trying to say is guys that get the invite to the upper level may not be really sure of what they are getting into. Take for instance NFL pays all travel expenses etc. BASS don't plus entry fees that are what 5,000.00 per event. Then there is the travel , before off-limits practice plus actual tournament practice days and then the event. I guess what I am really trying to say is that a person can qualify for the upper tier tours but the money involved (without sponsors major help) would be incredible. The reason some of the guys make the upper tier tours and so called bust may be due to the fact they do not have the money all the obligations to fulfill what it takes to do all the prepractice before off limits, obligations from having young kids. etc. As everyone on here knows on the water experience is everything and if you are not familiar with that body of water and what the fish are doing you probably won't cash a check. That just wasted several thousand dollars that you will not recoup without a win in a tournament year. Take 3-4 events without checks and add entries, tournament travel, gas, etc. you will be on the bad end of it and this happens to really good anglers. It is not that often that rookies like Dustin and Jamie have the years like they had last year. That is extremely rare. I for one am a huge Jeff Kriet fan (maybe its the redneck in us both) but Kriet is not a household name atop the leaderboards but he can catch them. He does not have the sponsors others have and had to have the Ultrex put on his boat out of his own pocket. No sponsor paid for it, how many other guys are fighting this is probably more than less. So there is no way to compare BASS to NFL or the players would be buying their own helmets, pads etc.

Don't know a lot about Jeff's financial situation but he and Jeff Welch partnered on this 37' custom Freeman catamaran with 4 300hp Yamaha's and they don't give them babies away. He may have other income who knows but in my opinion you shouldn't refer to any of those guys who are or were fishing at the highest level a bust. They did something for probably a whole year that we would be thrilled to do just once. Hardest sport there is to make a living at.
Jeff's boat.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 11:37 PM

Besides the comment on financials I agree 110% To me Jeff is a standard on the Elite series. I love his attitude and the way he fishes, I do not know anything about his sponsors or financials other than he said on BASS live that he bought the Ultrex his self and his sponsored didn't pay for a D*** thing. All most of us can go on is what BASS puts on live or articles. Hell Jeff may be a millionaire for all I know but he comes across as a person like me. A Redneck who loves the sport of bass fishing. I would love to see him win an elite event that would be awesome, BASS may have to do a lot Bleeping during live but it would be awesome.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/25/18 11:46 PM

I agree Aggie it would be an awesome experience to go through to get the invite to fish the upper tier. Not sure it would work for me though. I truly believe that there is one that got an invite that will have some say in a couple tournaments and that is Hunter Shryock, I do not believe his brother gets the props he deserves. Both are great fisherman and I have done seminars with Fletcher and he is hands down a class act, and a great fisherman. But here we go again about who is a bust or not. To me Fletcher is a great angler and his brother will push him to new heights, man we could discuss this forever.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/26/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

That's one of the reasons I think he's bad [censored]! You don't hear about folks literally moving from Japan to the states just in the dreams of making it big with bass fishing. Dude came here with nothing, barely any money, and before you know it, he was holding a Classic trophy over his head!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/26/18 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas T
Byron Velvick and Jeff Kriet. Lots of hoopla little results.

Spot on, like both of them, ran into Byron in Costa Rica over holidays, really nice guy, they are both good guys, wish the cricket would win one.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/26/18 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Richard McCarty won one. On Kentucky Lake I think. Also before it was called the Elites but still it was a BASS event
Posted By: 1bas

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/26/18 05:08 AM

If you judge fishermen as a bust, based on 1st. place finishes then 99%+ of tournament guys are BUST's. Most of us feel, that anytime we compete we have a chance to win.(which to an extent is true) But honestly there is not that many times that you actually are in position to take it all home. There is probably less than a dozen pros, that actually make enough from tournament checks, to support themselves without major sponsorship dollars. And according to a well known pro (deceased) There are many others who can barely catch their butt with both hands making 6 figure incomes, in the fishing industry . Way back it was mostly about fishing and catching fish, But in today's reality it's mostly about marketing and selling products. There's a lot of people ready to eat, but there are so few plates on the table. So I would say that anyone who has an opportunity and makes a living in this sport for more than 3 years is definitely a success. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/26/18 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 1bas
If you judge fishermen as a bust, based on 1st. place finishes then 99%+ of tournament guys are BUST's. Most of us feel, that anytime we compete we have a chance to win.(which to an extent is true) But honestly there is not that many times that you actually are in position to take it all home. There is probably less than a dozen pros, that actually make enough from tournament checks, to support themselves without major sponsorship dollars. And according to a well known pro (deceased) There are many others who can barely catch their butt with both hands making 6 figure incomes, in the fishing industry . Way back it was mostly about fishing and catching fish, But in today's reality it's mostly about marketing and selling products. There's a lot of people ready to eat, but there are so few plates on the table. So I would say that anyone who has an opportunity and makes a living in this sport for more than 3 years is definitely a success. Just my opinion.

I would agree. Being a bust has little do with skill and abilities. Everyone that fishes tournaments, gambles, hoping they will win. The BASS opens pay 40 places out of 200 anglers. Twenty percent get paid. The amount for spots 20-40, is roughly your entry fee. So really, 10 percent make any money. The money from winnings is not anything to pad your bank account with, unless you are in the top few places. The real money to be had comes from marketing yourself, and promoting companies products.
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/27/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck A

Richard McCarty won one. On Kentucky Lake I think. Also before it was called the Elites but still it was a BASS event

I never won a BASS event, although I scared a few.
I won an Angler's Choice Pro-Draw event on Table Rock.

It is/was very hard to compete on that level out of your own pocket, especially if your income was derived from guiding as mine was.
Never pre-fished a single tournament, and was adamant about not soliciting info.
A man's perspective on life changes after he's been gone from home 115 days a year, and still runs over 150 guide trips at home.
Although I qualified for the BASS Master's Classic my 2 first years, the expense and travel was brutal.
I missed my wife, I missed my life.
I've done it, been there, and have no regrets, but I like my life at home.
Not one single angler that has tried it was a 'bust', some were not as successful, and some had good runs, but at least they dove in.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/27/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
Originally Posted By: Chuck A

I never won a BASS event, although I scared a few.
I won an Angler's Choice Pro-Draw event on Table Rock.

It is/was very hard to compete on that level out of your own pocket, especially if your income was derived from guiding as mine was.
Never pre-fished a single tournament, and was adamant about not soliciting info.
A man's perspective on life changes after he's been gone from home 115 days a year, and still runs over 150 guide trips at home.
Although I qualified for the BASS Master's Classic my 2 first years, the expense and travel was brutal.
I missed my wife, I missed my life.
I've done it, been there, and have no regrets, but I like my life at home.
Not one single angler that has tried it was a 'bust', some were not as successful, and some had good runs, but at least they dove in.

Well said Richard. You've had some very impressive accomplishments in your career.

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/27/18 05:42 PM

I've fished with Richard, one of a kind, lots of knowledge and fun to fish with.. He can fish a white wore out topwater better anyone ive ever seen. Kay and I both were amazed, good times.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/27/18 05:56 PM

Me!

Only 1st place finish and I was 3 min. late to weigh-in.

mad hammer de bang taz
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/28/18 01:02 AM

There is a certain amount of luck or timing to those entering the Elites. They get two year in before they have to requalify in the Top 70. Look at the year Chris Lane had last year. He ended up 95th in the AOY. He is proven to be a hammer with a Classic win and 3 other Elite wins. 5 Straight Classic appearances.

If he breaks into the Elites last year then he already can't afford a second bad year. Yet he is the same guy who Mercer nicknamed The Champ.

Its tough to make it in the Elites. The no info rule is going to make it tougher on those coming in to stay in unless they have previously been on some of the lakes on the schedule. The veterans already will have info on the lakes BASS has previously visited from fishing them.

A interesting year would be to announce a entire years schedule with places BASS has never been to before. That would make things interesting.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 01/28/18 04:05 AM

Fizz
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 02/11/18 06:00 PM

Let em know!!!!! FOUZZZZ
Posted By: MV

Re: Biggest Bust in Bass fishing - 02/11/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Cant believe people are posting Swindle. Would think its a hell of a lot harder to win 2 AOY titles than to win 1 tournament.

Perhaps not dominant, but consistant.

He was a little lucky on the 2nd one, but still.

2 1/2 million career earnings, hardly a bust.

agree : he has PMA
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum