Texas Fishing Forum

Is there any hope in the DFW?

Posted By: Fishin258

Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:17 AM

Has fishing been tough for everyone? I just bought a boat(96 skeeter ss140 115hp johnson) in December no serious graphs yet(garmin 7sv coming soon) just a little hook on the console. I fish lake worth weekly? Anybody got any hints? My lineups lately consist of jerkbaits, rattletraps and dropshots.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:24 AM

Fishing is tough right now, at least for me. Went today and had water temps from 44-46 degrees. That's cold for Texas and Florida strain bass.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:32 AM

It’s winter
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: PaPa@fork
It’s winter

This is what I keep telling myself, but then I see the weights from the tournament threads...
Posted By: mudd

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:41 AM

40 degree water over here in East Texas. It’s brutal
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 03:14 AM

Looks like super cold weather might be behind us and fishing should start picking back up. But it’s still winter and still gonna be somewhat tuff. Could always go to squaw and feel like a pro.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 04:15 AM

Fishing was good in December, bites have gotten far and few between in the past 2 weeks for me.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 04:24 AM

When the water gets to 55-60 they’ll start biting.
Posted By: CajunF16

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 04:29 AM

Fishin258
I have a Garmin 7V I am replacing with a bigger graph, if you interested send me an e mail
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 06:47 AM

Take that new boat to Squaw like said above. clap
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 02:59 PM

Get a few days with the sun bright and water come up 3-5 degrees it will turn on.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Get a few days with the sun bright and water come up 3-5 degrees it will turn on.

That's what I keep telling myself.
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 08:43 PM

My trolling motor is out at the moment so i fished several ponds that are loaded this weekend. Worst weekend i’ve had fishing in a year, on any body of water. Fished one place today where its normally like shooting fish in a barrel and couldn’t catch one drop shotting.
Posted By: irbf

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/21/18 10:47 PM

Temperature in ponds has got to be below 40. No wonder you didn't get bit.
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/22/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: irbf
Temperature in ponds has got to be below 40. No wonder you didn't get bit.

Even in stupidly cold weather i can usually scratch out a few from ponds. This weekend it just wasnt happening.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/22/18 06:19 PM

if we get a few sunny days, go in the afternoon, and hit some of the rocks in the sun. The Rocks will tend to hold heat. Jerk bait is a good choice.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/22/18 06:57 PM

Worth is a tough winter lake... I fished it Sunday, found temps from 45 - 48 degrees in most areas. The rocks on the main lake were in some of the coldest water I found. Kept searching and located one area with 53 degree water, all 4 fish I caught were in that stretch holding tight to cover. Couldn't buy a bite on a trap or jerkbait, everything came on a Billy Mac jig and the bites were very aggressive.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/22/18 11:37 PM

Haven't landed a fish yet in the 3 times I've been out this year. Tough conditions each time but we're talking about winter. And I'm sure those tournaments included anglers that got skunked. When you have a bunch of boats on the water SOMEBODY is going to get bit. Glad to see warmer weather and I expect a handful of quality bites next week when I get out. Just reminding myself that it's winter fishing.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/23/18 01:44 PM

It’s winter and it’s lake worth. But then again I do not like that lake LoL
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/23/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Worth is a tough winter lake... I fished it Sunday, found temps from 45 - 48 degrees in most areas. The rocks on the main lake were in some of the coldest water I found. Kept searching and located one area with 53 degree water, all 4 fish I caught were in that stretch holding tight to cover. Couldn't buy a bite on a trap or jerkbait, everything came on a Billy Mac jig and the bites were very aggressive.

I've always felt the same about Worth in the winter.
Posted By: cjbles

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/23/18 01:54 PM

Went out to Lewisville last Saturday. Air temp was nice but water was still sub 45 degrees. Tough fishing.
Posted By: stitch

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/23/18 02:34 PM

Fished a little jackpot tournament Sunday on Cedar Creek. Water temp was mid 45-46. Didn't get many bites but the ones we got were good ones. It was a 3 fish stringer and we had 2 5 pounders and 1 that was close to 4. Total weight was 14.17. I think we had 5 bites total all day.
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/23/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cjbles
Went out to Lewisville last Saturday. Air temp was nice but water was still sub 45 degrees. Tough fishing.

Wind was brutal on Saturday as well. I was out on Lewisville and only stayed out for a few hours because of it.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/24/18 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Fishing was good in December, bites have gotten far and few between in the past 2 weeks for me.

+1
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/24/18 02:33 AM

Saw some bass in a creek at golf course today. They were swimming around pretty good lol
Posted By: Dmfo

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/24/18 02:50 AM

Four weeks ago I went out Saturday no bites, weekend after that I went Saturday and Sunday and had maybe 4 bites but did not boat anything, weekend after that went out with my father on Saturday 3 hrs in he had a trophy bass on the line, he went to lip her and she shook the hook, he paddled home in disgust, I fished another 4 hrs...NO BITES

Cold, wet, and swore from being in a kayak all day I said screw it and took off Sunday, and this last weekend. But its time to get back out there, I have a feeling its going to be a good weekend in DFW boys.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/24/18 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Originally Posted By: PaPa@fork
It’s winter

This is what I keep telling myself, but then I see the weights from the tournament threads...

Chris - This is so true. Was practicing at Palestine for an upcoming club tournament last Saturday. Fished some really great looking water with multiple techniques. Was telling myself I was working more on getting all of my rigs together and making sure all of my equipment was working good but was also working real hard to catch fish. I did not get a bite all day and everyone we talked to were having about the same success but I can't tell you how many times that I heard " Somebody is going to be catching them!" but I figured it was going to be a tough time for anyone to catch fish with the conditions. And then of course checked out the Media results and saw limits of 25lbs. 22lbs and 18lbs. which is the reason I love bass fishing knowing that if you are at the right place at the right time fishing the right way, bass are going to eat and you could have that type of success. Can't wait to get back out.
Posted By: JohnnyCakes

Re: Is there any hope in the DFW? - 01/31/18 05:55 AM

Temps on Lewisville were in the 47-48 range on Sunday
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum