Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Maintenance

Posted By: thirtysixit

Boat Maintenance - 01/19/18 07:45 PM

Do you guys do a full 100 hour service every year? Replace the impeller and spark plugs every year? What is your maintenance cycle for your rigs?

This year I was going to change the lower unit oil, regrease everything and call it good but I'm having second thoughts.

I've got a 2012 150 Vmax if that helps.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/19/18 07:54 PM

2005 Opti 200. Impeller and fuel filter every 2 years. Plugs every 100 hrs. or 3 years. Annually LUO change, lube, ck. trim & steering fluid, ck. air compressor belt and all hardware security. Add grease in vault trailer hubs.
Posted By: dstep0

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/19/18 07:54 PM

Annually change plugs, change lower unit oil, replace fuel filter, grease all fittings, and replace water separator filter if you have one.

Posted By: bush hog

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/20/18 02:30 AM

I just had my impeller changed after two years. Note the stress cracks in the picture. Every vane was fatigued.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/20/18 02:22 PM

As long as your water pressure is in spec I don’t worry about the impeller everything else I do like your supposed to.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/20/18 08:16 PM

Yes Sir, every year or every 100 hours which ever comes first.
Spark plug lower unit, and impeller are just a part of 100 hour service.
My guys know my motto:" If in Doubt, Change it out"
Peace of mind on the water is priceless.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/20/18 11:50 PM

I went ahead and knocked out the 100 hour service. New impeller and all. Thanks for the input fellas.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/21/18 06:57 AM

With the price of outboards, I do a full service on mine every winter. On crappy days in Jan and Feb that gives me something to do in the shop.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/23/18 12:15 PM

In my last boat, I didn't change the impeller for 5 years, and when I went to change it, it looked brand new. Condition obviously depends on usage and type of water. It's a pretty beefy piece of rubber, and I suspect that if you use it often (1-2x per month), it will last a very long time.

I suspect failure modes for rubber is dry rot (lack of use). But to be safe, you better replace as recommended by the manufacturer
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/23/18 12:47 PM

I run a BassTracker aluminum.
I hose it out if it gets dirty, replace batteries when they expire, change trailer tires when needed and change oil in the Merc four stroke every other year.

Other than that, I just fish.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/23/18 02:19 PM

I do my impeller and plugs every other year. Gear oil gets changed every year, plus I pull a sample usually twice during the summer just to check it. I do all my maintenance in the winter. If something breaks during spring and summer seems like it takes a good solid month to get a boat into a good mechanic. I go flippin crazy being off of the water that long. A good maintenance program will keep you on the water. It's worth a little extra money in maintenance to avoid issues during spring and summer.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Boat Maintenance - 01/23/18 03:27 PM

Lower unit lube, impeller and fuel filter with top to bottom inspection every year. Spark plugs replaced when needed. Gives me something to do in January.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum