Texas Fishing Forum

Brush piles

Posted By: rut-roe

Brush piles - 01/16/18 01:40 PM

Whats your favorite wood are pvc. I've always used wood but I'm hearing pvc don't show up on the new si/di units very good just wondering if pvc holds fish as good as wood .
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Brush piles - 01/16/18 01:45 PM

I know the crappie don't seem to mind the difference.

And you're right, pvc doesn't show up as good, but the fish still do. We found a big wad of crappie on Palestine out deep and after looking real close you could see the PVC trees.

There are some PVC piles on Fork that always hold bass, and a lot of small PVC trees (2' tall) on Lewisville that are money. I don't think they bass care, especially if you put it in an area that is short on cover. The beauty is you can crash a crankbait through them with little worry of hanging up.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Brush piles - 01/16/18 02:23 PM

Favorite wood for brush piles:
Bois d'Arc--relatively hard wood. Lots of thick side branches, that then multi branch It is a bit thorny

Christmas trees are great--do some pruning to make gaps in the trees for larger fish

PVC and irrigation tubing work--rough it up with some sandpaper and consider putting some compost inside the pvc/irrigation tubing to expedite aquatic flora growth on the plastic.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Brush piles - 01/16/18 03:59 PM

one of the keys for making a successful brush pile is just plain old surface area. the more area, the more algae growth. corregated plastic will have more surface area than pvc; some trees more than others, etc. don't build a fish house, build the start of a food chain.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum