Texas Fishing Forum

Monticello - Could this be true?

Posted By: TysonS

Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:35 PM

Outside of the plant closing I heard from a local at the ramp that they may open up the lake to connect to Sandlin? Has anyone else heard this? I hope its not true.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:38 PM

Not a chance. Fake news.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Not a chance. Fake news.

Thank goodness!
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:45 PM

There's always a chance of just about anything in today's world. Think about it, our last 2 Presidents are Obama and Trump! smile

For this case, I don't see the benefit other than if they did then the land around Monti could be developed which would be very interesting to say the least. I seriously doubt they go down that path, but again, you never know.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:52 PM

I'm setting on the pumps one summer and I'm the only one on the lake.I watch a guy unload at the ramp and he comes wtfo and sets down 20 yds from me. He yells,Where's the cut to Sandlin!. I replied ,right over that dam. He got a puzzled look on his face and turned around went back to ramp and loaded up and left.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 09:57 PM

LOL atleast it was a short drive.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
There's always a chance of just about anything in today's world. Think about it, our last 2 Presidents are Obama and Trump! smile

For this case, I don't see the benefit other than if they did then the land around Monti could be developed which would be very interesting to say the least. I seriously doubt they go down that path, but again, you never know.

The guy I spoke with mentioned that it may be an option instead of someone managing the "lock" since that is currently managed by the power plant. Of course Sandlin's water level is lower than Monti so it would pull alot of water out of the productive areas everyone is used to fishing. Especially North of the highway bridge....

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 10:47 PM

Monticello is owned by TXU and I can't see a situation where they would benefit by connecting to Bob Sandlin and vice versa. Another issue is the two lakes are on two different levels same as Cypress Springs. It may happen one day who knows but most on here won't be around to see it.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/15/18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TysonS

The guy I spoke with mentioned that it may be an option instead of someone managing the "lock" since that is currently managed by the power plant. Of course Sandlin's water level is lower than Monti so it would pull alot of water out of the productive areas everyone is used to fishing. Especially North of the highway bridge....

That would essentially EMPTY the entire North end of the lake if they did that. So, I just can't see them doing that. The monetary value the state places on the fish alone would make that foolish.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:20 AM

i hope the guy that cut down all the trees in monticello cove does not own a bulldozer. did he ever go to jail.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: TysonS

someone managing the "lock" since that is currently managed by the power plant.

Lock? What Lock???

That would essentially EMPTY the entire North end of the lake if they did that. So, I just can't see them doing that. The monetary value the state places on the fish alone would make that foolish.

Let's do a 'what if':

The water elevation is only 2.5 feet difference. Normal pool of Sandlin is only a foot below current level of Monti. They could split the differences in normal elevation... Otherwise dredging of Monti on the north end would be required

Back to reality...
I think I read that TXU was deeding the plant property back to other entities (Titus County?) when they dismantle the plant. I wonder if that includes deeding the lake back to the state or water district.
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 04:46 AM

I heard this also from an employee at the plant. It is right at 4' elevation difference.
Posted By: Dwhitt

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 05:14 AM

No jail time !! And still fishing a lot of big tournaments.Seems when daddy has $$ kids do whatever they want !!!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: meP2too

i hope the guy that cut down all the trees in monticello cove does not own a bulldozer. did he ever go to jail.

No they fined him something like $275/K. He paid it and laughed all the way to the bank. Just raised the price of the lots to cover the fine. Judge got him though in the end. They deemed the waterfront sites unfit to build boat houses (they will not grant building permits) so the land owner must sell and disclose no boat docka can be built.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 10:36 AM

Can someone explain all this? ^^^^ what happened?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 10:41 AM

yall do know they let the homeowners do the same thing on Cypress Springs, right? yall should crucify them, too! when the water got low enough, they permitted the cutting down of the last trees in a few of the coves.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

The plant had to shut down because a guy was cuttin’ timber in Sandlin and running it under cover of fog thru the locks at Monti so the judge threw the book at him and ordered his daddy to dredge Smith Creek or else the homeowners on Cypress could cut their timber too.
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 01:19 PM

IF Monticello " Gates" are opened and the NORTH end goes DRY. I call 'dibbs" on all the baits I find while walking that area !

wild bill

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel

The plant had to shut down because a guy was cuttin’ timber in Sandlin and running it under cover of fog thru the locks at Monti so the judge threw the book at him and ordered his daddy to dredge Smith Creek or else the homeowners on Cypress could cut their timber too.

Fake News! No plant shut down because of this. There is no way he could run the timber thru the locks at Monti". Ordered to dredge Smith creek??? Why???

What they did do was build that barrier across Monticello cove to keep floaters from getting into the main lake on Sandlin.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 02:16 PM

Gettin' deep in here.

Posted By: Just James

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 02:46 PM

hes not a criminal, i know him, cutting the trees did not hurt fishing one bit, in my opinion being a local, I feel it increased the fishing in Monticello cove, when he cut the trees where do u think they went? in the water, I think they are now called "lay downs" or "cover" what do bass love? lay downs and cover, he just like half of American, tired of the bull [censored] regulations imposed by government officials who have never put a rod in his hands, and to answer your question, he paid his fine, and still fishing on Lake Bob Sandlin.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 02:53 PM

There is always 2 sides to every story.
you just have to figure out what side of the story you are on or want to believe.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 02:56 PM

his parents have been dead a long time, he has his own business and works very hard at it, he has employees like any other business, if you ever get the chance to meet him while on Sandlin, ask him where to catch good fish, I promise u he will tell you. A friend of mine was using my camp on Sandlin for a family vacation, he was fishing out of a beat up 80's model boat, he showed my friend where he had put a brush pile, told him how to fish it, he didnt care weather he was rich or poor, my friend caught a 7 pound plus bass thanks to him. Most of you probally dont even know his name, just some outlaw who broke regulations, never judge the book by its cover, read the man before judging him.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:00 PM

What in the world does through the locks mean?

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:01 PM

very true, and there are a lot of very wealthy dr's lawyers, and judges who own property on Cypress Springs who have heavy duty political pull, they not only took out all the trees, they killed all the grass with poison, all so their spoiled brat kids could act crazy in dads high dollar wake boats.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:07 PM

Very wrong statement! His parents died years ago. He isnt a kid, he is a business man with a family. Get your story correct, plus people on Cypress Springs destroyed the lake a very long time before he ever cut one tree in Sandlin! Very wealthy people with political pull killed the grass, cut the trees, so their babies could play in their wake boats and 90,000 party barges, Cypress became known as a Party Lake for at least 20 years or more.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 03:09 PM

lol lol! thats too cool!

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Just James
hes not a criminal, i know him, cutting the trees did not hurt fishing one bit, in my opinion being a local, I feel it increased the fishing in Monticello cove, when he cut the trees where do u think they went? in the water, I think they are now called "lay downs" or "cover" what do bass love? lay downs and cover, he just like half of American, tired of the bull [censored] regulations imposed by government officials who have never put a rod in his hands, and to answer your question, he paid his fine, and still fishing on Lake Bob Sandlin.

Not to start an argument, but he is/was a criminal. He knew he was not allowed to cut down the trees but he did it anyway. These newly cut trees went in the water but how many floated out into the main lake creating boating hazards? He did pay his fine but why was he fined? He did a criminal act, was caught and was fined.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Not to start an argument, but he is/was a criminal. He knew he was not allowed to cut down the trees but he did it anyway. These newly cut trees went in the water but how many floated out into the main lake creating boating hazards? He did pay his fine but why was he fined? He did a criminal act, was caught and was fined.

Given the state of Bob Sandlin lake management at the time, it's a stretch calling him a criminal.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/16/18 04:25 PM

roflmao

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 02:12 AM

He paid a 275,000 fine!!! Wow
Would that quality as a felony?
If he committed a felony, how does he fish tournaments.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 02:35 AM

If he broke the law by cutting down tree's then I would say he is a criminal.. I think he paid for it also..
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 03:08 AM

I have never seen in any rules of tournaments saying you cannot fish if you have committed a felony .
Posted By: Ryan Boykin

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 08:01 AM

Good lord guys. This was years ago. He made a mistake and paid for it. He is not the devil. Family man and a good guy who has always been nothing but nice to me and everyone I have seen him interact with. How long is this dead horse going to be beaten?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: slim 285

I have never seen in any rules of tournaments saying you cannot fish if you have committed a felony .

Stren had no felony rule if it was in the last 3 years.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 08:22 PM

He didn't own the lake or the trees in it. Cutting them down was a crime. When you commit crimes you are a criminal.

If I go onto anyone else's land other than mine and cut down timber without a permit or permission to do so I am breaking the law and I know it. Everyone knows it. It doesn't matter that I thought it would be good for business or that the people in control of the area and its timber were being stupid. It's still a crime.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/17/18 08:23 PM

his parents have been dead a long time, he has his own business and works very hard at it, he has employees like any other business, if you ever get the chance to meet him while on Sandlin, ask him where to catch good fish, I promise u he will tell you. A friend of mine was using my camp on Sandlin for a family vacation, he was fishing out of a beat up 80's model boat, he showed my friend where he had put a brush pile, told him how to fish it, he didnt care weather he was rich or poor, my friend caught a 7 pound plus bass thanks to him. Most of you probally dont even know his name, just some outlaw who broke regulations, never judge the book by its cover, read the man before judging him.

huh

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Stren had no felony rule if it was in the last 3 years.

Not sure how the other trails are but the ABA rule is if your've ever been caught cheating in a tourney, any tourney, and its been verified you are banned from participation, Ryan Lovelace had a win taken away from him in 2015, & don't believe BASS or FLW will let him enter any of their sanctioned events either.
Posted By: Trenton97

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/19/18 10:00 PM

Anyone know why they drop the level in Monticello over 2 feet this week ?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/19/18 10:25 PM

Not to mention all those stumps are just below the water when lake is at normal pool.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/19/18 11:20 PM

the lake was dropped in the past when repairs were required to concrete structures that were below the water level. they maybe accessing structural items / connections for future demolition.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/19/18 11:25 PM

read rule 10 on BassChamps site. bolt
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Monticello - Could this be true? - 01/20/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

read rule 10 on BassChamps site. bolt

It says anything to do with a tournament . This had nothing to do with tournament
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum