Texas Fishing Forum

Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler

Posted By: BassMan5000

Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/09/18 08:13 PM

Anyone fish this series as a Co-Angler?..I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Posted By: ProGatorin4bass

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/09/18 08:21 PM

I’m thinking about fishing this and would be interested as well.
Posted By: J-Y-D

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/09/18 08:45 PM

It's solid. Well run. Buy the freedom pass if you can't leave early on Friday's. All my boaters have been pretty cool. No issues with them. I don't see well at ramp in the AM, plus suck with mirrors. I tell my boater to get her close and I fine then. None have had problem with this. Respect their boat/seats and you'll be fine. PM me if you want more info.

You might want to ask "Have you heard of a place called the Spearmint Rhino" Their answer will probably tell you a lot about how any conversation (if any) might go.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/09/18 10:24 PM

I've fished as a Co two of the last three years. It's well run and the payout is decent. Had 98% good experiences with my boaters. Treat their equipment better than if it was yours. Talk to your boater and have a handle on what you will be doing on tournament day and adjust your gear accordingly. Be self sufficient and be ready when they say we're on the move. Chris is a solid TD. Not wild about the realignment of the division this year where Toledo Bend got lumped in with Cedar Creek, Pines and Palestine. That's a bs move and I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it. The Southeast division fishes all four on Rayburn. ??? Leave TB to those guys and give us back Sandlin, Tyler or Chambers
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/09/18 10:31 PM

What lake?
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 01:47 AM

first one is on Cedar Creek early February
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 01:55 AM

Great tournament!! Respect your boater and you will have a blast. Remember it's a small event not the Bass Master Classic. Focus on having fun and not just winning
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
I've fished as a Co two of the last three years. It's well run and the payout is decent. Had 98% good experiences with my boaters. Treat their equipment better than if it was yours. Talk to your boater and have a handle on what you will be doing on tournament day and adjust your gear accordingly. Be self sufficient and be ready when they say we're on the move. Chris is a solid TD. Not wild about the realignment of the division this year where Toledo Bend got lumped in with Cedar Creek, Pines and Palestine. That's a bs move and I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it. The Southeast division fishes all four on Rayburn. ??? Leave TB to those guys and give us back Sandlin, Tyler or Chambers

I hate they don't like going to RC.
Posted By: BassMan5000

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 03:31 AM

I'm with ya Bossbowman!.TB should not be on the schedule in my opinion. I would also like to know the reasoning behind this? So many other quality lakes to choose from that are more in line with the others on the schedule.Not crazy about Texoma as the Championship lake either..But I think I will take the plunge and give it a try this year as a Co-Angler..Maybe next year fish it as a Boater?
Posted By: 2111-15

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 04:04 AM

I agree with you SoCal Tom.I guess there thinking is they will have a big turn out with a lot of the southeast guys fishing the one on TB.I have not heard of anyone that likes TB being on the schedule.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 01:25 PM

Conroe got it's own division this year, going to really add to the pressure this lake already gets. I'm with y'all though, T-Bend on y'alls schedule is just silly, there are a lot of really nice lakes closer to y'all up that way!

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 03:59 PM

I've fished TB one time as a co. It's actually easier on us because (in my case) I drew a local that was on some fish and I managed a check. I feel bad for the guys who want to chase AOY on the boater side. They get to go down there with all the local guys waiting for them. It's quite a bit more money in travel expenses plus entry. Bitter pill to swallow. I know, I know, suck it up, but we all know that the TB/Big Sam crowd is tough on visiting teams...
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 04:39 PM

Do a search on here. I have posted several times about it and several others have too.
Chris runs a good tourney. I have enjoyed the trail for many years. Let me see if I can find a link. Coach
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Great tournament!! Respect your boater and you will have a blast. Remember it's a small event not the Bass Master Classic. Focus on having fun and not just winning

I agree with this. They key to being a successful co angler, have fun and learn.
Posted By: hawkeye442

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 05:16 PM

Forgive my ignorance fellas, I'm thinking about fishing as a co-angler this year as well..

Can y'all provide with me the ins and outs? I have no idea what a co-angler link is, when/how are boaters and co's paired?

Just some general info would be helpful.. It sounds fun..

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 06:08 PM

If you are going to fish all the tournaments in a division, you can find a boater that is going to fish them all as well and link with him and it guarantees you entry. You put your links name in when you register. The pairings are done randomly by computer and you are texted your boaters name and number by ABA at the pre-tournament meeting. You then contact that person and decide particulars (where to meet, what to bring, how you will be fishing etc.)

http://www.ramopenseries.com/
Posted By: hawkeye442

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 06:21 PM

Thanks!!

I imagine there are always more co-anglers than boaters, are there situations where a co doesn't get to fish? Or are those dealt with before hand due to entries..

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/10/18 07:55 PM

Last year it was average 3/2 boaters to co's. They drew more boaters when they went to the $5000 guaranteed to win on the boater side. Average last year was 55-60 boaters to 35-40 co's

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/11/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: hawkeye442
Thanks!!

I imagine there are always more co-anglers than boaters, are there situations where a co doesn't get to fish? Or are those dealt with before hand due to entries..

Nope, only seen one time there were more co's than boaters, and I only think they had to refund/send 1 or 2 co's home, since they went away from boater on boater draw (2015?) if they were short on co's they have always drawn more boaters
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/11/18 05:24 PM

As a boater, I like this series because there's always a good chance you will not draw a co.

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/11/18 07:24 PM

Yes true, last one I fished with them something like 14 of the boaters did not have a co., on the other side of it some of the boaters that do end up drawing co's can act pretty butthurt about some of their competition going out without and observer...

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/11/18 07:26 PM

Yes true, last one I fished with them something like 14 of the boaters did not have a co., on the other side of it some of the boaters that do end up drawing co's can act pretty butthurt about some of their competition going out without an observer...
Posted By: lindsfav

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/12/18 03:14 AM

I fished this series as a co in Louisiana a few years ago. Had a great time and learned a lot. A lot of the anglers are making their first jump up to the angler side and many have fished as co anglers prior to this. They all are great to fish with and several I drew have moved up and become successful as boaters in FLW Costa and other series.

It’s a great place to learn and well run. Highly recommend.

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/30/18 02:54 PM

Did the series lose the RAM trucks sponsorship?, noticed on their website its gone
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/30/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Did the series lose the RAM trucks sponsorship?, noticed on their website its gone

Wow, I think you're right. I looked last week and it was Ram, now the url is www.abaopenseries.com

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/30/18 03:04 PM

Interesting. I guess we will find out at the meeting on Friday night at Cedar Creek
Posted By: cd1248

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/30/18 03:35 PM

Can someone explain to me the freedom pass

Was planning on fishing Conroe. But I work u til 7 usually Friday nights so after learning about meeting before hand had decided not to fish that series

Freedom pass you can skip the pre meeting. How does that work?
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Ram Truck Open Series - Co Angler - 01/30/18 03:46 PM

Buy the Freedom pass and it allows you to miss the Friday night boater/co-angler pairing meeting. They will give your boater draw your contact info and he will call you Friday night to discuss meeting time and location.

I've used it many times when I had game duty Friday night and couldn't travel to meeting. Or I didn't want to spend the night Friday night or make 2 trips. I enjoy the meetings on Friday nights. Allows me to catch up with some guys I don't see all the time. Coach
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum