Texas Fishing Forum

Spence.........not good.

Posted By: ksalmon

Spence.........not good. - 01/07/18 04:04 AM

Dead fish everywhere. Golden Algae taking its toll again.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/07/18 04:24 AM

It was localized a month ago. I’m assuming it has now began to spread? Were the dead fish all over the lake?
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/07/18 05:08 AM

It definetley started in the river, now they are floating in the main lake. Looked like it might stay in the river, but it now appears to be wide spread. I started seeing floaters and foam around Thanksgiving in the river.

Still ice on the lake behind the house, was hoping it had gotten to cold for the algae, apparently not. Shad, carp and bass seem to be the hardest hit.
Posted By: Team Skeeter 41

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/07/18 06:10 AM

Actually you want the water to warm to stop a golden algae bloom. It thrives in cold water. I know it sounds like the opposite when you think of algae, but when the water warms to around 70 degrees or so the bloom will stop. Don't quote me on the actual number, but it's somewhere around 70. Unfortunately several of the lakes around me have been hit hard with golden algae throughout the years and it's a bad situation.

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/07/18 05:23 PM

Fully aware golden algae is a cool water algae. There is a range it thrives in, I too am not sure what the top and bottom temps are. Its not going to be getting hot enough in December and January so was hoping it would just get cold enough to stop it.
Posted By: B Reynolds

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/08/18 02:03 PM

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but is not anything that can be done to control the spread of, or just kill it all together. I hate to hear that about Spence. It was getting pretty good.
Posted By: I-Outdoors

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/08/18 11:09 PM

Well [censored] really like that place was planning oh fishing there in 2 weeks is it still worth going or is it real bad already ?

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/08/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WORMSKIPPER
Well [censored] really like that place was planning oh fishing there in 2 weeks is it still worth going or is it real bad already ?

My last two trips have resulted in 2 bites and 1 fish. I usually catch at least 20 a trip with several between 5 & 9. It has really turned the fish off. Not sure how long of a trip you have, but it's probably not worth the drive right now. I live on the lake and it isn't worth me walking down to cast a line.

It won't be a total kill based on what I see currently, but right now the lake is struggling.
Posted By: Big C Hazard

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 12:33 AM

That sucks! Thanksgiving week was the last time I was out there and it was abnormally tough for Spence. Guess that could have had something to do with it. Lake would have really been something special come spawn. Keeping my fingers crossed the damage is minimal.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 01:54 AM

I was out there in early December, I seen a couple 6 pounders dead out there. I hope it won’t be too bad, I had a blast out there this year.
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 04:15 AM

Inwas told they have closed the boat ramps so the golden alge isnt spread to other lakes
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 04:29 AM

People will have to go fish an actual lake now. Those poor fish were so tired of being thrown in the livewell and having pictures taken of them all the time. If the golden algae didn’t get them, all the Tuesday Facebook picture takers would. Throwing 5 four pounders in the livewell to take an “epic” profile picture.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
People will have to go fish an actual lake now. Those poor fish were so tired of being thrown in the livewell and having pictures taken of them all the time. If the golden algae didn’t get them, all the Tuesday Facebook picture takers would. Throwing 5 four pounders in the livewell to take an “epic” profile picture.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Originally Posted By: Josh Seale

Lol

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 05:11 PM

Well........have to give Oak Creek a try again.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 10:59 PM

That poor Lake can't catch a break isn't that the one that practicly dried up few years back in the drought
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/09/18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
Well........have to give Oak Creek a try again.

I had been fishing Oak Creek heavily until the 2nd week in December. I haven't been back out since, but was catching fish all over the lake, but the best fish came in the brush with skirted baits
Posted By: I-Outdoors

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/10/18 01:44 AM

Anybody fish champion lately I did last year for first time and really liked it

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/10/18 01:47 AM

Fished Champion a few times last year. Didn’t do great didn’t do bad. But hell anything is better than Alan Henry.
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/10/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: WORMSKIPPER
Anybody fish champion lately I did last year for first time and really liked it

My dad and I fished it for the first time on father's day, he caught most of the fish but it sure looks promising. Have a kayak tourney there in April
Posted By: B Reynolds

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/14/18 02:50 AM

Chuck72, did you make it out this weekend. Just wondering how it’s looking.

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/14/18 07:42 AM

I could smell dead fish from the lake at my house today. Don't see quite as many "New" floaters, I suspect the enormous amount of water turkeys, cranes, pelicans and gulls that have gathered are picking them off. There are so many birds cackling in the river at night it's dang near hard to sleep. Water is still foaming, although the recent high winds did muddy up the water a bit, which I think is a good thing.

Wildcat ramp is closed, due to launching safety. I think CRMWD has sucked Spence down about as much as they can without refloating the barge pumps. Hard to get on the lake and may require bank launching again. If you haven't ran the lake at this level, slow down. The corners I saw guys cutting in the river when it was a bit higher, now have widow maker trees just under the surface.

Dead fish, low water and No bites. It's very depressing! The only patttern I found was shooting a hog on a wind blown bank that was eating dead rotting fish..
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Spence.........not good. - 01/14/18 10:25 AM

Kind of depressing to hear this. All last year I kept telling myself I was going to fish that lake but never made it because the bite was always so good at Twin Buttes.
Posted By: BCOU

Re: Spence.........not good. - 02/07/18 10:41 PM

I've been out there a couple times in the last month and a half and dead fish and very few bites. What a shame !!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum