Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Travis Flipping Docks

Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 12:37 AM

Headed to Lake Travis next weekend.
Looking at Google maps and Navionics, looks like there is a ton of docks.

So can anyone tell me which area might be better to try.
Looking at the Hurst creek arm, the Sandy creek arm or is there any others ????
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 12:42 AM

Mid lake always fishes better for me. There are fish around the general Hurst creek area.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 01:43 AM

Plenty of docks to fish. Alot are in really deep water. Lbj is a better dock lake imo
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 09:03 AM

Yep. Some of those docks are in 60-70 FOW. LBJ is definitely a better choice for dock fishing.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 03:41 PM

I just moved to Austin recently. Docks are CRAZY deep on Travis. And they all have cables front and back so casting to the "corners" with crank baits (which I love to do) is almost impossible.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 03:51 PM

The marinas are also anchored the same way with cables extending out to submerged anchors. The bass guys are always casting into the shoreline rock ledges, but I don't know about the winter fishing. Shoreline with overhanging brush/trees would ne a good place to start.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info folks.

Well heck, I was looking forward to flipping jigs around the docks.
Beside wacky rig, flipping docks is a huge favorite for me.

I would try LBJ but this is a club event scheduled for Travis.

I have never fished Travis, but looking at maps etc it appears to have sharp sides and very deep.
I'm going to speculate that there is not any millfoil or hydrilla ???
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 04:23 PM

Flip spoons at them.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 04:25 PM

Watch the FLW event on it and find the spot the Rose fished.
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 05:16 PM

There is a private marina that sometimes has to raise their bridge depending on water level. If it is up you can troll under it and fish between the marina and the shore. It was definitely a honey hole last year for ttz tournament. caught probably 20 plus there in 2 hours, other anglers were waiting and racing for the hole when we left it. If you don't mind the bad looks from the snobby people walking by on marina then it is a spot worth checking out. Pm me if you want a pic of the area.
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 06:48 PM

I was out on Travis yesterday and they really aren't on the docks. I was catching them in 35-40 feet of water. Slow way down and look for schools of them. None of the schools were that big, but if you can find 4 or 5 fish together on your downscan its worth stopping.

I was also having luck on a 5xd around points
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 07:23 PM

No grass but tons of bushes that grew when lake was 60ft low
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/07/18 09:21 PM

I keep seeing these posts about 40fow on Travis. All of my better bites have been in 15ft or less in drains recently. I was headed there today before the front for a few hours but slept in. I may go out Tuesday.

I'll also second 5-6" spoons around docks/marinas WHEN they are on that pattern(not currently). I've had some pretty awesome days with a Joe Spaits 6" spoon.
Posted By: Bazzectomy

Re: Lake Travis Flipping Docks - 01/13/18 04:49 AM

I agree with fishing the Hurst area and pretty much the mid-lake. Drop shot on main lake points seems to be the ticket in 30 foot of water. If you get on the right point/school you can even catch them on a T-rig right now. Start off with something like a critter craw that is small. Once you have a school fired up and tired of the little ones, then move up to a larger bait. The bites will slow down, but bigger fish will bite. Seems like the little fish just watch the bait go bye. That is is the wind isn't blowing 20 mph. Anyhoo... That's my experience...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum