Texas Fishing Forum

Flutter spoon hack

Posted By: gut hooked

Flutter spoon hack - 01/06/18 07:28 PM

So a buddy recommended that i swap out the treble on a 1oz spoon with a worm hook and put a trailer behind the spoon.....like a brush hog or something similar.....any thoughts?
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/06/18 09:32 PM

The worm hook could minimize snagging brush or trees but I throw a spoon a lot and the treble doesn’t cause problems for me. You will likely decrease your hookup ratio quite a bit as lots of fish hit the spoon but don’t bite it enough to grab a single hook. The trailer will most likely kill the action of the spoon. I’ve never heard of that and it doesn’t make sense to me but maybe I’m missing something...
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/06/18 09:41 PM

use a feather instead, won't effect the action as much as something more solid
Posted By: str1249

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/06/18 10:09 PM

Back in the day, people would hook an Uncle Josh pork rind on the spoon, but it was cast and retrieved, not jigged.
Might still work but it will definitely hinder the fluttering.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 12:08 AM

Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 12:31 AM

Yeah i get it.....the trailer would kill tbe action......but if i don't ask, i'll never know.....thanks for all of the input
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 02:44 PM

I did that on a couple of flutter spoons. I attached an Owner screw lock hook and then added 1/2 the length of a zoom finesse worm. I was going on a guide trip and we were going to fish with spoons that day. I showed up with it and he said to go ahead and try it but he was skeptical about it working. When I caught a good fish on it on the first cast, he said, well I guess it does work.

I don't know if it kills some of the action of the spoon, but it worked that day. It was on a large flutter spoon, so it might not work so well on smaller spoons.

I think I used a 2/0 hook. There isn't much room in the eyelet of the hook to slip the split ring through since it already has a screw lock through it.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 03:02 PM

Add the owner stinger hooks to the front like they do in saltwater
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Add the owner stinger hooks to the front like they do in saltwater

This works pretty well.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Flutter spoon hack - 01/07/18 03:48 PM

Maybe a bit more finesse than a typical flutter spoon and a different action, too, but VMC makes a Gliding Jig that works best with a light trailer. I twist off its silly stock bait keeper and attach a tiny Owner centering pin, then screw on a very small Keitech paddle tail bait. The hook is on top, point up, so fairly snag free and easy for a bass to get hooked on. Two profiles fall through the water column differently but the general action looks like a paper airplane cutting left and right as it falls to the ground.

This would be pretty interesting if a larger form of it were available: the flash of a spoon, gliding motion on its fall, trailer options.

Something like this could be a "cast and retrieve" technique or fished vertically (raised and dropped).

Brad

Gliding Jig
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum