Texas Fishing Forum

Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions?

Posted By: bradleybriscoe123

Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:38 PM

any opinions?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:38 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
popcorn

popcorn
Posted By: 361V

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:46 PM

Opinions? For real? This will go viral...again. JK, sort of. :-)
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:51 PM

What's your price range? What year do you want? Do you prefer a certain brand of boat or motor? Do you want rough water ride or speed, or both? Clue us in a little more.
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 05:57 PM

16' Tracker with a mercury 250xs.power poles and jackplate. Also xi5 trolling motor 36v 54" shaft. Tight lines
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 06:01 PM

I like this one. But then again, I like to lean back and hold the tip of the rod between my toes when I'm drop shottin'.

Nothing like a nap when the sun is high in the sky . . . . 1:30 to 5ish . . . . then shake it off and back to it.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 06:05 PM

I'm in the market for a new bait. Help me out.
Posted By: C130

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 06:06 PM

Yeah, buy a Bass Cat. Figured someone better get the argument officially started.
Posted By: bradleybriscoe123

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 06:07 PM

I meant opinions of buying new vs used

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bradleybriscoe123

It's hard to do when you are in the wishlist phase but you should buy used (as long as you get a 4-stroke with low hours) --- unfortunately you almost need to look for boat/age/price combo that is the result of a recent death, divorce, or career event . . . . . happy hunting.
Posted By: C130

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 07:01 PM

I've bought new and used in the last two years. I searched for quite a while and drove 1000 miles each way on the used one. Boat was an 08 Bass Cat Sabre and it looked like it came off the showroom floor and only had 90 hours on it. Great boat and I had zero issues for the short time I owned it. I decided I wanted a bigger and faster boat so I sold it and bought a new one. Personally, buying used I'd be very careful and don't necessarily trust those selling. There are lots of great used boats out there though and at the right price I'd buy used again. But just as important as the price the boat has to have been very well taken care of for me to consider it. If I was buying fairly new, say 2-3 yers old, I'd want an engine warranty or I'd rather buy new.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 07:08 PM

That really just depends on how much money you have. Lol. Pretty simple; do you wanna spend money on a new boat or do you wanna save some money and buy a used boat. I've bought used and had no problems and I've also bought new and had no problems.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat

It's hard to do when you are in the wishlist phase but you should buy used (as long as you get a 4-stroke with low hours) --- unfortunately you almost need to look for boat/age/price combo that is the result of a recent death, divorce, or career event . . . . . happy hunting.

10-4 on the 4 stroke and divorce.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 07:23 PM

Pay cash is my opinion.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/04/18 07:29 PM

Find a previous-year model new boat that a dealer hasn't sold yet. I had to drive 1200 miles each way to pick mine up but bought a brand new but "2 year old" 70k boat for just under 40k so I think that's the way to go. A new boat for less than used prices.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:00 AM

Used is the smartest from a purchase price. However, 95% of boat owners don't maintain or clean their boats properly, and could end up costing as much as a new. Just never know how someone takes care of their stuff. Depending on how much you want to spend...one that still has warranty left, have motor checked by certified tech, have fiberglass shop check the skin and transom(price to have scratches fixed). If the bones are good, and the price is right, equipment and cosmetics can be fixed, and dirt can wash off.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:05 AM

Let someone else eat that new price tag. You can get all you need for 35k if you shop around.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Let someone else eat that new price tag. You can get all you need for 35k if you shop around.

Yep, right here on this forum there are some excellent boats, priced right and you won't have to finance it for 12 years. You can pick and choose from any brand, may have to look at a few before you decide but you'll save a butt load. There's even a guy on here that finances them, name is Classic Boats. Start looking.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:29 AM

The "Buy Used Crowd" would be sitting on the dock if it wasn't for the Buy New guys. Also I ain't buying you a boat so why would you care about my opinion on what to get.

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Pay cash is my opinion.

I second this. Of course, you should also pay off your mortgage before you put cash towards a boat.

If you are not in a position to do those things . . . . find a buddy with a boat.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:39 AM

That's not what you asked....This is what you asked: "I'm in the market for a new bass boat, opinions?" You never mentioned used.....must be a joke or trying to get something started for fun! There will be lots of opinions on how to spend your money!
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 12:42 AM

Might give us your price range so that we can fight better!! Initially, I'd tell you to buy the best you can afford or buy exactly what you want and work harder. Sorry, I'm in sales!! I've owned only two used boats, one was a 22' Nitro 929 that was well maintained and I had no problems of any kind. Second was a 2010 Triton TR18, that was also perfectly maintained, 150 Merc, added a Humminbird Mega 9 and a Mega 10 with DI and SI, plus a new Fortrex. Had no issues with the boat at all. Except, the 150 didn't feed my fragile ego, it was short and I'm fat, it handled rough water like a washing machine with a dead dog in it. Beyond that, great boat!! Just traded it in for a 2018 ZX250. I decided at 55 I had better buy my dream boat, since I already have my dream wife, dream kids, dream job. Added the Ultrex, dual Birds on the console, 12 and 10, Bird 10 on front, etc. and I am as excited as I can be to get the boat this weekend, or so, at Fun N Sun. So, I've paid $23,000, $21,000, and now most of my kids' college fund, for my new one. Gotta say, if you go cheap you will regret it. If you buy used, you will most likely wish you bought new. If you get a Fortrex, you'll wish you had an Ultrex. If you buy a Bass Cat or Ranger or Legend, you'll wish you bought a SKEETER!! I'm sorry, just had to say it folks!

Don't listen to us, we all know everything, and everyone else is always dead wrong!! Except my dream wife, of course!!
Posted By: Coach2

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 01:02 AM

My next boat is a phonies 919xp w/225 mercury pro xs. In my opinion it's the best boat on the market. But with that said it comes with a price tag. You can get other brand and a bit larger boat for just a few more bucks. Again my opinion and my way of fishing, it fits me.

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 01:09 AM

I say Ranger 521 L Icon or a Bass Cat Jag. If you cannot rustle up $100k, your heart really isn't into fishing.

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:20 AM

Get a legend

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:22 AM

What happened to the Legend post??

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Get a legend

But hurry before pricing doubles! wink

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
What happened to the Legend post??

People and their drama is what happened.

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:32 AM

Dang. I was trying to figure out what the arena debate was about and whether or not the Legend info was true or not. Might have to wait until tomorrow to find out about Legend. Thanks.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:38 AM

I hear legends are wonderful rough water boats
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:45 AM

Still going to be very difficult without knowing how/where you fish, what your budget is, whether you're looking for something newer with less features or used with more features. Do you fish tournaments on Texoma or fun-fishing in the Louisiana bayou?

Generally speaking, buying used is always a better value. Finding something that has been well cared for is much more important than getting something newer. Two-stroke versus four-stroke is irrelevant. My 1997 Triton's 2-stroke motor has been running almost flawlessly for 21 years.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 02:54 AM

Bluewave makes a real nice 22 footer that we draft less then 8" with a 200 HP motor and decks front and back. This boat should be in the 40's new if you are wanting a bay boat to bass fish out of
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
I hear legends are wonderful rough water boats

it is a modified deep vee hull, but it will never be a ChampioN
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 03:36 PM

Get a fish and ski, they are the best.

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: I'm The Dude

They are perfect for people that don't really like to fish . . . or ski.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 04:24 PM

So true! You did learn that one..... did you try one? LOL

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

So true! You did learn that one..... did you try one? LOL

Believe it or not, they actually fish a lot better than they ski.
Posted By: Fisher421

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/05/18 11:27 PM

If you have not owned a boat before then buying used affords you the opportunity trade into something different for way less money if you find that your needs or wants are different than what you expected. Definitely have to be careful when buying used and work with someone you can trust. The depreciation on a new boat is steep.
Posted By: FHL777

Re: Im in the market for a new bass boat, opinions? - 01/06/18 08:43 PM

How to find a new boat for used price?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum