Texas Fishing Forum

Poles or Talons?

Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 03:41 PM

Has anyone every had both? I would like to here the pros and cons from a few guys that have owned both Power Poles and Talons and also why you chose the ones you have now.

Thanks,
Posted By: Atta

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 05:40 PM

2 PP or Talons are great but i was told by a number of guys to go with one. 1 has done the trick for me. took me a trip or 2 to get use to turning the boat a certain way and lining up with the one talon but no complaints.

Differences are 1 is hydraulic and one is electric. im sure some gurus know a little more than me but i am satisfied with both brands. Best part of the Talon which made my decision was the folding bracket.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 06:00 PM

If you have room for pumps the power poles are good up to 10'.

If you don't have room for pumps then go with Talons up to 15' deep.

I have one 12' Talon and a Minn Kota Ultrex. Does what I need quite well.
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 06:16 PM

I have two 10' Talons 3 years old, my fishing partner has two 8' PP also 3 years old. My Talons have been trouble free and two hold me solidly in place. I just wish they were longer. He has had several hose/fitting/pump failures on his both on the water and on land, trust me you don't want to be in the water in January on Granbury because they deployed but 1 won't come up. His latest happened while sitting idle in his garage and emptied the oil reservoir on the inside of the engine compartment. He is very dissatisfied and almost afraid to use them because of the unreliability. His Mech said he would no longer work on them because of the return issues. I will stick with Talons.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 06:27 PM

On my second set of power poles (2 different boats) and love them. They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to sight fishing. Have had minor issues, but the phenomenal customer service power pole offers got me fixed up in no time. Proper maintenance and monitoring the oil reservoir will keep them working flawlessly.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 07:57 PM

4th set of power poles, I have never had an issue. I think installing the lines correctly is a big deal. But they are both good products, and truthfully I know people with both that have had issues. I hear nothing but praise on PP's customer service.

For me the ability to deploy and lower them at any time at the touch of a button was my decision factor. If I needed deeper the 10ft holding I would go with the Talons.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 09:30 PM

I have had both. I have 12 foot talons now. I would rather have 8 foot poles. Second choice would be 10 foot talons. The 12 are just to long.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 10:14 PM

3rd set of PP Blades...I'll stick with them
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 10:45 PM

Love my Power Poles. I have several buddies who have Talons and I'm glad I went with Power Poles.
Posted By: burner42

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 11:21 PM

I have owned both. Actually removed my 10' Power Poles on my 2010 Ranger Z520 and replaced with the 12' Talons. I had 3 hydraulic leaks with my power poles. It's a huge nasty mess and I was just done! Each time they failed on the water ruining my day. I love the extra space in my battery compartment now without the stupid pump/reservoirs.
The Talons are much easier to sync too plus I have a permanent rear Nav light installed on one so I don't have to jack with rigging lights when it's getting dark. Had them for a little over a year, fish 4-6 times per month with zero issues! Go Talon!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/04/18 11:58 PM

2 power poles. It's no argument
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 01:09 AM

Neither......bought an Ultrex instead.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 02:56 AM

i've owned both, six years with a power pole and only issue was a broken bracket while locked down in 30 mph winds. current one year old boat with a talon will not hold in 15 mph winds in 5 feet of water the rough water mode is cr@p.
it will be replaced, with a power pole.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 03:00 AM

I have had 4 sets of PP, never nada one issue, I love the hydraulic leak issue, what is your tilt and trim ? Not electric.
Posted By: Hydrilla Gear

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 03:55 AM

Being a dealer for both Power Poles and Talons I have spent time with both. The pro's to the Talon is overall height, overall depth, install time and space in the bilge. Some cons would be durability, weight, holding strength, brackets, and service.

When I say durability I mean in salt or brackish water and muddy bottoms for the most part. Having to flush the unit is a bit much in my opinion. As we all know salt water takes a toll on just about everything and you can't keep all the muck or soot out of the Talon. I can't say I have had any holding issue however I do hear more complaints on Talons vs Power Poles in this category. The weight on the back of the boat with the Talon and the required brackets can add up real quick especially dual talons. The Talon is definitely harder to service and you will probably have more down time to repair. The Talon must go to an authorized service shop.

Power Poles Pros. Durability, weight, ease of service, holding Power, overall price, customer support.

The Power Pole is tough as nails. Takes some real abuse. Salt, muck, mud does not phase them. The overall price with comparative options is less. IF you have an issue its 99% serviceable yourself easy to troubleshoot right over the phone and I can have you warranty parts in 2 to 3 days and back on the water. Better choice in mounting brackets which leads to better boat performance and customer support is the best in the industry.

Would I like to be able to anchor in 15' of water YES. But a 15' anchor does me no good if its not as reliable...

The 2018 model year C-Monster 2.0 come were designed with fixed hydraulic lines. They look like mini hydraulic steering lines. This means NO more leaks or broken lines.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any prices. 954-304-0206 or rich@hydrillagear.com
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 04:16 AM

I have dual talons and have never had any trouble at all. The boat definitely doesn't move in strong winds. They were easy to install myself. I even drove across tawakoni with one down and no problems.
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 04:53 AM

I have 2 8 ft Talons.. I had several friends lose their hydraulics driving down the rd and the PP lowered down.. scraping off the fiberglass tip.. I love the ability to lower the Talon going under a bridge without having to deploy the talon like you have to do with the PP.. Also, I'm not sure if the PP has the same option but the Talon has an alarm wired into the ignition, when you start your boat to move, if the talon is deployed an alarm will beep to let you know to raise them prior to moving..

I would much rather troubleshoot an electrical challenge than an hydraulic on the water or at the ramp.. My 2 Cents..
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Neither......bought an Ultrex instead.

Smart.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Big1Bass
I have 2 8 ft Talons.. I had several friends lose their hydraulics driving down the rd and the PP lowered down.. scraping off the fiberglass tip.. I love the ability to lower the Talon going under a bridge without having to deploy the talon like you have to do with the PP.. Also, I'm not sure if the PP has the same option but the Talon has an alarm wired into the ignition, when you start your boat to move, if the talon is deployed an alarm will beep to let you know to raise them prior to moving..

I would much rather troubleshoot an electrical challenge than an hydraulic on the water or at the ramp.. My 2 Cents..

You can feel free to deploy ur power poles at full speed, they wont break. If they get stuck in mud, just drive forward with the motor. U don't have to fully deploy the power poles going under a bridge, just touch the button and lower them to your engine height. Double tap the up button once your past. I'd imagine the talons take a lot longer for that process. Fishing in trees this becomes very handy.

Again to me that was my main reason, and weight.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 01:35 PM

if you don't have an ultrex buy one first you may not need 4 grand hanging off the back of your boat it is by far the best invention in the marine business in years.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
if you don't have an ultrex buy one first you may not need 4 grand hanging off the back of your boat it is by far the best invention in the marine business in years.

How does that work for you during the spawn bed fishing ?

I like my poles for bed fishing and the Ultrex has its place for other fishing scenarios peep
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 02:09 PM

PP for 2 reasons;

1) I'd rather support an individual that invested himself, took a risk and made it work. Small business will get the nod from me if comparing apples to apples.
2) Customer support. You just can't beat PP for that.
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 02:38 PM

ULTREX!
And nothing in the way for the guy fishing in the back of the boat.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 05:40 PM

I have not talked to owners of either that do not like what they had but every time this comparison comes up PowerPole wins. Every time! They will win again when this topic resurfaces again next week. Sorry but ithey ALWAYS do.....:-)
Posted By: squib

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 05:45 PM

Like I have said before, I am always amazed at all the discussion of PowerPole customer service. I couldn't tell you about Talon customer service. Mine never broke.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/05/18 05:50 PM

If it's blowing and I pole down on a bank, I'd rather be silent and not move over an ultrex constantly readjusting in shallow water. Imo it's best suited for deeper water. You really can't beat poles for the variety of situations they can be used. As stated, sight fishing is a no brainier
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/08/18 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am about to order a new boat and have it completely rigged. I will be getting an ultrex but after using one several times they will not work during the spawn! The Poles/Talons will be primarily for parking the boat at tournaments and for use in shallow water.

This will be a hard decision.

1)They both have quick release brackets now for garage/bridge issues, virtually eliminating that problem
2)There are good arguments on both sides
3)PP have the weight advantage
4)Talons have the height advantage
5)Price, not much to discuss here, 8' PP Blades are $96 a piece higher than 8' Talons
Posted By: Motomax

Re: Poles or Talons? - 01/08/18 04:59 PM

Love the Talons..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum