Texas Fishing Forum

tying on a hook

Posted By: Kathy Bthomas

tying on a hook - 01/03/18 04:01 AM

Well what the heck. Kind of a strange question but here it goes. When tying on a hook do you ?

a. Insert the line thru the eye from the front or inside bend of the hook

b. Insert the line thru the eye from the back side of the hook.

( I assure you that Tequila was not used in the formulation of this question.)

Thanks in Advance helpsign
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 04:07 AM

I don't think it matters unless you are tying a snell knot for flippin then you want to run the line through from the front.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 05:06 AM

It matters with a few knots. When it does matter, you insert the line into the hook eye on the hook point side of the hook eye. Develop a habit of always starting out your knot this way so that when you start tying knots where it does matter, it’s second nature to start the knot in this manner

Knots where it matters
—snell
—palomar for a drop shot
There’s probably some others
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 09:21 AM

All horizontal eyes go through hook side, vertical doesn't mater.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 12:46 PM

I always go in from the hookside. Good practice, since some knots require that start.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 02:44 PM

I always go in through hook side...
Posted By: Brad R

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 02:47 PM

Others mention some knots where it is required. One more example would be a Palomar knot tied to a drop shot hook. After it is tied, the tag end is typically passed back through the hook eye to tug the knot over so that the hook stands out like a flag perpendicular to the line, hook side facing up.

I agree: It is just a good habit to always push it through from the hook side.

Brad
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 03:23 PM

hook side
Posted By: 361V

Re: tying on a hook - 01/03/18 03:24 PM

I use a Fisherman’s Knot (improved clinch) on just about everything and the starting position of the line makes no difference but like stated above it makes a big difference for certain knots. Best example is the Palomar Knot when rigging a drop shot setup because if you do not begin with the line passing through the “barbed or bend side” the hook will rest in the downward position and not face upwards(no I’ve never done a study on hookup ratios with hook up or down, that’s just the right way :-). Just stay in a habit of starting correct even when it does not matter.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum