Texas Fishing Forum

Rookie mistake!

Posted By: i-Fish

Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 02:57 PM

Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadn’t fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. I’m outta here... bolt
Posted By: buda13

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 03:15 PM

Suck it up! Dip the rod in the water and stick some toads!
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 04:19 PM

Glad I no longer feel the need to experience this stuff .
Live and learn .
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Chalk today up to inexperience. Hadn’t fished in almost 2 weeks so I was itching to get out and today was my only opportunity. I could only manage a couple hours and most of that time was spent re-warming my hands. Hi temp of 28, overcast, 10mph winds, jig freezing up in mid-air on the cast, reel binding up and guides completely iced in seconds. Lesson learned. I’m outta here... bolt

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

When it's this cold I ain't taking a chance on getting the flu or worse pneumonia, not worth it. I spend the time in the garage organizing tackle, putting on fresh line, cleaning battery terminals, checking tire pressure, etc.
And I bought a new 10" Helix so I had to remove my old unit and prepare for the new one and I'm going to install a new Ultrex so I have plenty to do until it warms a little. The fish will have to wait and they don't mind at all.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Wise words.

I ain't going fishing unless the air temp is between 60-75 degrees and the skies are mostly cloudy. Also the wind has to be from the southwest at no more than 8 mph.

I’m right there with you, I don’t hate the fish anymore... maybe I’m my 20’s and 30’s but not in my mid-late 40’s...
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 04:55 PM

Used to be that way many moons ago , tore up a lot of equipment that way , got sick , fell in the water it's just not worth it any more at my age . But I get the itch then I sit back down .

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 05:46 PM

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 05:52 PM

1-2 bites a day is average in those conditions. Probably not worth it, but the bites you get are big.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 05:54 PM

Wise words.

Ha, I know that's a crock, you were just up at Monti and the temp was 37. Besides we're going fishing sometime and not gonna wait until those conditions happen. You were just making fun of me weren't you.

Called him out!!! The bigger the fish are the tougher the conditions I will accept.
Ken will do anything anytime except night fish!
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 05:59 PM

My son went to Bailey lake today to catch some trout. He lasted 1 hour which is longer than I would have lasted. He caught and was going to keep it. He started to put in the his bucket but it had frozen over.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 06:00 PM

I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 06:10 PM

I like to bundle up and go scouting for new spots on days like that. It gets me out of the "feeling"/"itch" and I find some new spots for when the weather isn't a beating.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 06:12 PM

Living in south florida for over twenty five years I forgot what cold was like. Spent one day on Fork a few years ago with below freezing temps in the morning and experienced the rod tips freezing up for an hour until the sun warmed things up. Had never experienced what it was like yesterday with so much equipment failure. Camera battery that showed full charge at start of day went dead or would only come on for a second and then shut off, phone battery did the same thing. Rod and reels were taking a beating, especially with the braid. Knot in braid either came undone or broke off on one cast when everything was iced up from rod tip to drops of water that froze on spool. The worst was the reel handle knobs that wouldn't turn freely. bang The one thing I got right was staying warm. I never came close to getting cold as I had chemical hand warmers for feet, knees, inside gloves, and dressed to swim kept all the heat contained. Stopped off and got some of the new toe warmers which have sticky back to stay where you want them. Used those on my knees as that is where I normally am most vulnerable the way I sit in kayak. I'll be out there again for cold weather but not below freezing all day.

Get you some of these! I'd never used them before, having used the little beany bags ones made by the same company. I don't believe they get as warm as the others but allow you to put them with minimal material between them and your skin and they stay in place.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
I bet a bunch on here would fish all day today in thongs and flip flops if offered a free day at Camelot Bell or La Perla Ranch.

I'd fish butt naked at either one for free if I was the only one with a camera. Think I'm kidding ? Bring it.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 06:56 PM

I'll be scouting Pirkey in the morning... loco
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 07:13 PM

You can never be too old to fish in the cold. I'm fixing to be 55 and the cold weather doesn't bother me. I do get prepared for it though. Lot's of clothes, wd-40 for the reel and a little towel with a hand warmer to keep my phone working for pictures. About the only thing that will keep me off of the water is high winds.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 08:03 PM

It's my favorite time of the year, fishing wise. No, I don't like the cold at all, but i dress for it and there is nothing better than a jerk bait bite. Some days the A rig outfishes it but the jerk bait keeps you warmed up and you know when one hits on the pause it's going to be a big fish. Throw those micro guides away though lol.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 08:27 PM

Go to Nite Lite Outdoors website. They're out of Clarksville Arkansas, originally a coon hunting store mostly. They have a full Goretex coverall there that is super light compared to anything else I have ever worn, and very reasonable price. In a downpour I wouldn't trust it, not going to keep you as dry as say a 100 mph suit or a high end rain suit but it's warmer than blizzard proof carhartt and weighs less than half. You can actually move around and not feel in a bind.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 08:55 PM

Until I can figure out how to keep my fingers warm, 20-30 degrees is just too cold to function. It’s just a few short minutes before my hands are in so much pain I could slap a fish. Gonna order some Simms Exstream gloves which will hopefully work as they’re $60. Maybe find some good wool gloves as well. Tried some nitrile gloves both over and under some “windproof” gloves but the nitrile only seemed to magnify the chill in the air. Otherwise I was comfortable and ok. Plenty of layers with a Huk bib and a nice wind proof jacket over the top.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe Todd
You can never be too old to fish in the cold. I'm fixing to be 55 and the cold weather doesn't bother me. I do get prepared for it though. Lot's of clothes, wd-40 for the reel and a little towel with a hand warmer to keep my phone working for pictures. About the only thing that will keep me off of the water is high winds.

I don't think age has anything to do with it, it's whether or not it's that important to you and it's not to me. I have other interest and hobbies that keep me busy without dealing with the cold and taking a chance on catching a cold, flu or worse pneumonia. I catch all the fish I want when it's not freezing.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 09:23 PM

Until I can figure out how to keep my fingers warm, 20-30 degrees is just too cold to function. It’s just a few short minutes before my hands are in so much pain I could slap a fish. Gonna order some Simms Exstream gloves which will hopefully work as they’re $60. Maybe find some good wool gloves as well. Tried some nitrile gloves both over and under some “windproof” gloves but the nitrile only seemed to magnify the chill in the air. Otherwise I was comfortable and ok. Plenty of layers with a Huk bib and a nice wind proof jacket over the top.

If you can hold off for 3-4 weeks you probably won't need gloves. This cold spell is abnormal for Texas and we'll get back to normal before you know it. No sense in panicking.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr JL

Wise words.

Called him out!!! The bigger the fish are the tougher the conditions I will accept.
Ken will do anything anytime except night fish!

HAH!! The Good Lord made night time for two things and Fishin ain't one of them!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 09:37 PM

This is why I fish when it's cold. I have caught more fish over 8 pounds between Dec and Feb than any other time of the year.

Look at smartwool gloves, they keep your hands warm and I have zero issues fishing with them on.

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

This is why I fish when it's cold. I have caught more fish over 8 pounds between Dec and Feb than any other time of the year.

Look at smartwool gloves, they keep your hands warm and I have zero issues fishing with them on.

Me too but not when it's 19*, chill factor 6*. I fish all year round but not below 40*. But, that leaves more room for all those that do.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 10:20 PM

Me too but not when it's 19*, chill factor 6*. I fish all year round but not below 40*. But, that leaves more room for all those that do.

I prefer it to be above 40 in the winter, but certain lakes fish really good when the weather gets really nasty, and I am not talking power plant lakes.

My mentality changes when I know 5-8 bites a day usually mean 5-6 fish over 4 pounds...

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 10:45 PM

I prefer it to be above 40 in the winter, but certain lakes fish really good when the weather gets really nasty, and I am not talking power plant lakes.

My mentality changes when I know 5-8 bites a day usually mean 5-6 fish over 4 pounds...

Bad for me cause I don't know any of those lakes, but even if I did I ain't goin'. I figure it will be back in the 50's next week or so besides I'm upgrading my boat. Post more pictures I already seen that one, lol.
Posted By: zaspook

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/02/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe Todd

Wait until you are in your 70's, 55 is a youngster.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Rookie mistake! - 01/03/18 06:17 AM

If you are serious about fishing this cold buy a can of spray de-icer and spray your rod guides and reel. If done every 15 min. or so you will not get the ice build up. Be careful and avoid spraying your line. Don't know if it would affect it but would advise being safe and not get to much on it.

Also remember ice can be razor sharp and nick monofilament and fluorocarbon line so check it often
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum