Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats

Posted By: Holdenoutdoors

Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 12:47 PM

Lake Amistad is supposedly a dangerous place. If we make the trip, what are the specific dangers/threats we face? What to avoid? How bad is it? Do’s and Don’t s. Please share any/all information with me y’all. I’ve heard horror stories and my wife doesn’t want us to go. What do the local experts recommend as far as avoiding certain areas etc? Any recent MO information on criminals? Any/All information appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 12:59 PM

I went last year for the first time and had zero problems and will be headed back this year. Friends I go with have been going for 10+ years and they have had zero problems. I'm sure there are some issues that have been had by folks over the years they can share but my experience and that of my friends have been good.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:01 PM

Amistad is not Falcon. I feel completely safe fishing Amistad on the Texas side. Devils river has a bunch of fish and is the farthest away from Mexico.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:15 PM

Only danger is getting your arm ripped off by a DD bass bruh!!

GO FOR IT!

PS I have never been, but go to Falcon once a year and have never had even the slightest hint of an issue. Just use common sense. Dont go alone, buddy system is the way to go. Mind your business. Be back at the motel by dark. Lock your stuff up and stay aware of your surroundings. If something looks fishy (other than that bush on that point) get out of dodge and maybe report it to local LEO if it looks really strange....there is PLENTY of them down there. We have gone into Mexico and using those same principals and remembering you are NOT in the US anymore and are a guest in THEIR country, act like one, you wont have any problems. The people are warm and friendly and not interested in making beef with American fisherman. If anything they are happy to see you bringing legal money into the area.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:16 PM

Not sure why you think Amistad is a dangerous place. I fished it for about 15 years when I lived in the San Antonio area. Fished all over the Mexican side from the Pecos River Ramp (High Bridge) to the dam and never encountered anything to make me feel unsafe in the least. Over the years I have run into a few people on the Mexican side that were working or fishing and we exchanged greetings and went our ways. I have never heard of anyone encountering any problems while fishing on the Mexican side.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:20 PM

"Lake Amistad is supposedly a dangerous place" Where did you hear this? There is no problems on the water. The area is NOT Falcon as mentioned, And Falcon is not a problem lake if your not doing anything illegal. The only problem on Amistad is if you don't know the lake and potential hazards (ie: Rocks, and brush out of water).
Posted By: Badbassdad

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:31 PM

I have driven to amistad and taken my boat from FW. my teen aged son and I have fished amistad 4 times in the last 2 years. we have gone to the mexican side (acuna) caught giants and caught numbers, we have only had problems with the water level fluctuating and the heat... the lake is great!!!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:40 PM

The only thing dangerous there is the walk from the boat ramp to your vehicle.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 01:58 PM

Fished Amistad a lot over the years with no problems at all!

Side Note: Leaving your boat parked for just a minute in Delrio is another story!
Posted By: 9094

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

That is only because it is so far to the parking lot and uphill all the way that you might pass out roflmao
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 02:40 PM

I have fished Amistad several times never had a problem one of my favorites places is in Zoro in Mexico , I have never seen anything but the netters (heck if I'm close to them i practise my spanish they talk back to me lol) I have only fished Falcon one time no problem I had a guide tell me at Falco use your head if you were to see something suspicious just leave. Go enjoy Amistad I wish I was going ,If you are planning on fishing Mexico get a Mexican fishing license.
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 03:29 PM

I go to Amistad spring and fall for a month each and have been going since 2007 and never had a problem except as mention previous the walk up the ramp.
Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 03:35 PM

Get a Mexico fishing license so you don’t have to worry about which water you are in. We fished last December without any problems.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 05:26 PM

I've never had any problems at Amistad. Sounds like someone is trying to scare off the competition.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 05:58 PM

If you launch at Diablo East and have to park at the top of the hill, wait until another truck is pulling up and catch a ride before walking up it. That uphill walk is a danger and a threat.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 07:51 PM

Probably one of the safest big lakes we have.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 08:46 PM

This lol
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 09:01 PM

Agree with Jaret, have fished for 20 + years and fished at the back of Burro,Zorro, Tule and other cuts on Mexican side and never felt uneasy, just get your Mexican license and make sure that no weapons or ammo on your boat. All these years have never been checked by Mexican warden. Our border patrol will check you at times after seeing you coming out of Mexican waters.It's a great lake to fish and there is plenty of fish on Texas side. fish
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 09:45 PM

Hitting a bluff wall while driving in the pitch black might be dangerous. Might want to avoid running in the dark.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Holdenoutdoors
Lake Amistad is supposedly a dangerous place. If we make the trip, what are the specific dangers/threats we face? What to avoid? How bad is it? Do’s and Don’t s. Please share any/all information with me y’all. I’ve heard horror stories and my wife doesn’t want us to go. What do the local experts recommend as far as avoiding certain areas etc? Any recent MO information on criminals? Any/All information appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Whoever or wherever you got that information is an idiot, it's amazing how this stuff gets started.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 09:53 PM

Watch the weather, know the wind forecast!

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chunk
If you launch at Diablo East and have to park at the top of the hill, wait until another truck is pulling up and catch a ride before walking up it. That uphill walk is a danger and a threat.

They call it heart attack hill for a reason.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 10:04 PM

Amistad is safe. As with any border lake, I wouldn't recommend being on the water at night. If you stay near the lake, your boat is probably safe. If you go in to Del Rio I would recommend securing everything, but I do that anywhere that I go.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite

The Pecos bridge launch makes that one feel like a breeze.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/02/18 11:17 PM

The Pecos bridge launch makes that one feel like a breeze.

Been there done it, never again. Pack a day smoker has no business doing that more than once.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 12:12 AM

My In-laws live in Del Rio and we go down about once a month. Like others have said, the walk up the ramps is killer. Only other hazards I know of is straying from the channels while on plain. Plenty of submerged rock that will take off a lower unit.
Also if you're not used to fishing gin clear water it can be a challenge.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 01:49 AM

Marker 13 has been knocked off and is a hazard but has a traffic cone marking it. Just be careful passing through there.
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 02:17 AM

There is an old movie called Amistad... Heard that was pretty creepy
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 06:12 AM

I had a ranch north of Del Rio for 14 yrs. and fished Amistad many times thru the years without any issues or any kind. Like it has been mentioned if you go to the Mexican side (even just boat riding) have a valid Mexican fishing license. A Mexican license is good ANYWHERE in Mexico for one year of purchase. So the same license can be used on Falcon also.

The only danger I would warn about is to get a good lake map an study it before you go. You can go from 90 ft. to 1 ft. in a heartbeat in many places. Use common sense, be courteous and you should have the trip of a lifetime. There a many very beautiful places like canyons and bluffs on the lake so take the time to do some mid day boating and taking in all the lake has to offer. I have caught bigger fish on Falcon but really love fishing Amistad more
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 02:44 PM

Never had a problem on Amistad. I've fished the entire lake too.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 07:58 PM

I've fished all over that lake, it is not a dangerous place, running the lake when it's low and you're not paying attention might get you in trouble... but not likely if you do pay attention. If you fish the Mexico side, there are gill nets over there, they can get in your TM and motor prop, that can be a pain sometimes, but that's how they make a living so I try to go around them/avoid them.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 08:01 PM

The only problem we see is this every now and then.

Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER

It'll buff out.
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 08:22 PM

Where does one stay? A place close to a decent ramp where the boat will be secure? Can somebody list the places? Every time I try to search for them . . . . well, I get the feeling I should find somebody that has stayed down there and asked them.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 08:25 PM

Is the fishing getting any better? In my mind I cant justify that drive to go catch 2-3 lb fish.... all the reports I've heard are that odds of catching one 8 lbs or better out there are about the same odds as winning the lottery these days.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 08:41 PM

Closest is Tommy's Cabins (River Street Lodging) if you can get space, nothing around Lake anymore, La Quinta reasonable (not sure about boat parking, Del Rio Inn reasonable (Crowded), Motel 6 (very crowded-not much boat parking), Quality Inn (reasonable). Best bet if you can is the AF Marina. Nancy 830-377-4077 nice trailers w boat storage 2 miles to Diablo EastTrailers and Cabins inexpensive great location-not close to anything except ramp. http://riverstlodgingandrv.yolasite.com/ , http://lakeamistadrentals.com/ and also the Ramada Inn.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 10:03 PM

Two heavy sevens weighed in our 10 person club tournament in late October, not behind every bush but fish the deep grass 20-30 ft. They will stack up in winter, just have to find them. fish

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 11:09 PM

Closest is Tommy's Cabins (River Street Lodging) if you can get space, nothing around Lake anymore, La Quinta reasonable (not sure about boat parking, Del Rio Inn reasonable (Crowded), Motel 6 (very crowded-not much boat parking), Quality Inn (reasonable). Best bet if you can is the AF Marina. Nancy 830-377-4077 nice trailers w boat storage 2 miles to Diablo EastTrailers and Cabins inexpensive great location-not close to anything except ramp. http://riverstlodgingandrv.yolasite.com/ , http://lakeamistadrentals.com/ and also the Ramada Inn.

Who is Nancy with again? The post sort of ran together on that part.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat

Just do yourself a favor and call Tommy with Riverstreet lodging, he has the best setup near the lake. Good luck with the fishing,nhow will need it. Bass Champs will be there on the 13th so maybe the fish will bite a little better.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/03/18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat

Just do yourself a favor and call Tommy with Riverstreet lodging, he has the best setup near the lake. Good luck with the fishing,nhow will need it. Bass Champs will be there on the 13th so maybe the fish will bite a little better.

Thought I would go in April or early May ---- will the fishing be bad then too? I got Lake of the Arbuckles, Greeson, and DeGray penciled in for the summer but thought I could head south first.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 12:46 AM

You never know with Amistad, usually it's a lot of dinks with a few decent fish mixed in. We caught a lot of fish in September that looked like they had been to the filet table and the skin put back on them. That lake is like a woman, moody and temperamental!
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 02:32 AM

My poor friend Bill Blair will never ever live this down........

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: RCarter

My poor friend Bill Blair will never ever live this down........

I’m glad for your buddy that the lake wasn’t 4’ lower.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 01:32 PM

"Who is Nancy" did a search of prior posts she was also in it as a place to stay. Search is almost a mans best friend..

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 03:51 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is coming out of Diablo East boat ramp on the left side heading towards the south-end of the lake right?

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 03:54 PM

I could have swore they said it happened by the 277 bridge.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 04:12 PM

No Sir, Island underwater now approx. 35-40 ft almost due north out of Diablo, just east and north of 90 bridge.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/04/18 04:30 PM

No Sir, Island underwater now approx. 35-40 ft almost due north out of Diablo, just east and north of 90 bridge.

Thanks I've seen that one too. I thought the pic above was the high spot about 100 yards off the shoreline coming out of the ramp. Thank you!

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/05/18 11:59 AM

Well thank you everyone. I’m happy to hear that things are as I’d hoped. And I’m EX LEO so the old cases I read about back in the day were probably not all public. I’ll soon hit Falcon as well. And thanks to all of you I can enjoy knowing that these waters are NOT as bad as some would have me believe. Thanks again to all of you. Tight lines!
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/05/18 03:57 PM

Have not been in several years but we stayed at a place called Ruthie's. It is around the Devils River area. Trailers close to the water. Nothing fancy place to sleep and charge the batteries. Every thing furnished but the food. Towels, bed linens and cooking pots and pans. The trailer we stayed in slept 8 people and beside that the living room had a sofa that made into a bed.

Safety down there well if you go down there to fish and do that no problems. Like any where else if you go looking you will find it. I felt safer there than I would in Dallas or Houston a lot more people in the metro areas.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/05/18 09:46 PM

I have thought of another danger... the sun, it’s brutal in June, July and August.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/06/18 03:07 AM

I live in DR. Been here two years. This town is infinitely safer than San Antonio or Houston. Lake is incredibly safe. There is only two Mexican park rangers and I’ve never seen them on the water. On the US side is Border Patrol, TPWD and National Park Rangers who patrol regularly. I’ve had zero issues in Mexican waters but always go with a co-angler.

Air Force marina has a good ramp (open to public) and has three cabins you can rent but I think you have to be current or retired military. Holiday Inn and Hampton inn are nice but not great boat parking.

Diablo is a good ramp but try to catch a ride up/down and return the favor.

If you need something while you are here PM me.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/06/18 09:26 PM

I came across a very nice man that guides there, and still does, name JC Gwynne (the Amistad Man), of Cast Away Guide Service back in 2010.
I'd give him a buzz with any questions, or PM him, he's been working there for decades and is very friendly/helpful. 830.719.9006
MS

PS Happy New Year Yall!
PPS My report from my last trip through 'the best lakes in Texas' back in Nov. 2010 (Amistad, Falcon, Fork,
Purtis Creek, Ray Hubbard, O.H. Ivie, Choke Canyon), planning another as I type, can't wait. 1132
http://www.seewald.com/texas_fishing_adventure.htm
Posted By: Rducky

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/07/18 05:20 PM

Does Byron Velvick still have a lodge on Amistad?

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/07/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Rducky
Does Byron Velvick still have a lodge on Amistad?

No sir, in foreclosure.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/07/18 08:48 PM

They fenced it off to keep meth heads from stealing them blind fish

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/08/18 03:49 AM

Thank you for the reply and I agree with you, the entire place is awesome. FYI I zeroed in a smallie pattern up Devil’s River and it was Bigtime fun. The lake is just incredible and I’ll spend the remainder of my life learning that water.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/08/18 11:14 PM

Been fishing there for 25 years, not once have I felt the least bit uncomfortable. Now, a father of 3, and still have no qualms about the mexican side....perhaps 30 miles up the Rio Grande on a Wednesday night at 2 am????.....maybe. But I just told a family member yesterday that if I broke down on the mexican side and had to sleep in my boat, I'd get comfy and sleep well with no (ZERO) worries. Tell the wifey to come with you, she would enjoy the town. Lots of history there, great people, good food and nice amenities.

Tommy is a great place to stay, Ramada is in town, has a lobby bar with live music, pool, etc if that's your thing. Never had a thing stolen and until recently, kept a boat out there in a stall 24/7/365 with zero issues. They've got a good Sheriff and a deep lake lol.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/09/18 01:33 AM

Only real danger or threat there right now is to your EGO if you think you know to fish.......
Buddy who lives there and I fished Friday, Saturday & Sunday with a total for all three days of 6 fish (four being keepers).
Were planning to fish Champs....now gonna stay home or go to Falcon

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/09/18 01:48 AM

Only real danger or threat there right now is to your EGO if you think you know to fish.......
Buddy who lives there and I fished Friday, Saturday & Sunday with a total for all three days of 6 fish (four being keepers).

Did you fish up the Rio or on the main lake?

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/09/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

From 277 at San Pedro all the way to Marker 25

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/09/18 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

From 277 at San Pedro all the way to Marker 25

Dang!
Posted By: UTTRITON

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/11/18 06:22 PM

That's the truth!
Posted By: Tonyx

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/11/18 08:28 PM

I have been reading this forum for a Long time but this is my first time posting.

Im from Acuña Coahuila (mexican side of the border) so i fish both sides of the border and actually we used to launch the boat on both sides as well, we do no have a boat ramp on mexican side, so we leave the trucks where ever we can Park them.... any ways.. I can tell yall guys that amistad lake is absolutly safe and believe me I spend a lot of time on the water.

Sorry if I made a mistake on my writing, english is my second language and to be honest Im not an expert.

Regards.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/11/18 08:33 PM

Welcome to the forum Tony fish
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/11/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Tonyx
I have been reading this forum for a Long time but this is my first time posting.

Im from Acuña Coahuila (mexican side of the border) so i fish both sides of the border and actually we used to launch the boat on both sides as well, we do no have a boat ramp on mexican side, so we leave the trucks where ever we can Park them.... any ways.. I can tell yall guys that amistad lake is absolutly safe and believe me I spend a lot of time on the water.

Sorry if I made a mistake on my writing, english is my second language and to be honest Im not an expert.

Regards.

I'd say you did a hell of job on your English! Some people can barely speak one language, let alone two. So you're way ahead of the game! welcome to TFF!
Posted By: Tonyx

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/12/18 07:49 AM

Thank you guys! And good luck at the basschamps!
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/12/18 01:16 PM

Welcome to the forum. Good to hear from guys from the Mexican side of the lake.

Re: Lake Amistad Dangers/Threats - 01/12/18 06:25 PM

We did much better up the River. We can’t wait to return and look forward to many years learning the lake
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum