Texas Fishing Forum

Lews reels

Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Lews reels - 12/30/17 06:49 PM

Ive had several customers over the last 6 months ask about Lews reels and whether i would carry them. As far as reels go, I've focused on Shimano and Daiwa in the past with Daiwa being our bigger seller but with Ebay pricing on Daiwa reels lately i've backed off on picking up any new product. I dont want this to turn into a hissing match just want to hear from those who use Lew's reels and why. We might be venturing that route and looking at the SKUs they make a good range of low-mid-high priced reels. What say you TFF? Thanks for the feedback. BTW i notice they make a new 8.3 geared reel that weighs 5.1oz...model TLH1XH
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 08:45 PM

I just bought three of their cheaper baitcasters to replace some I lost. And all I can say is I wish I’d have bought them sooner. Most of my reels are BPS models of varying quality but the cheaper Lews are much better IMO.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 08:58 PM

I have swapped all my reels to Lews love them have about 20 now.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 09:01 PM

I love lews and I own Diawa as well.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 09:34 PM

Lew's are great, smooth, reliable, cast far, priced right, wish I had more of them.
Not a big fan of Diawa, OK but rather have Lews, ABU or Shimano.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 09:43 PM

I made the switch this year and love them. Smooth and cast a mile. You can't go wrong with lew's
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 10:10 PM

I'm not a brand homer when it comes to reels. I like mixing and matching and I fish just about everything from Steez and Metaniums to BP Qualifiers and Revo Sx's. A good majority of my reels are Lew's though, and I happen to think the BB1 Pro, the Tournament Pro, and the Team Pro are some of the best reels on the market at their respective price points. Now most of them I've only owned for 4-5 years, and they're holding up well, but I cannot say what they'll fish like at 10 years.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 10:11 PM

Use a few. Smooth, cast a long way, and take a beating. I had a diawa that cast a mile also but they just never made a reel that fit my hand good in a decent price range. I can get a $170 lews that will perform with the upper end diawa.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 10:48 PM

Here's no help I have Lews, Curados, fishing 13, and academy's brand. Very pleased with each.
Posted By: moto382

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 10:49 PM

I switched to Lews super duties 2 years ago from the old Shimano green curado’s and don’t regret it at all!!
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Lews reels - 12/30/17 11:03 PM

Lew's will sale. No brainer. Stock them.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 12:17 AM

Love my lews! I have 14 of the lews mg $79 ones! For 3 years now! Only one has let me down because it corroded in my rod box after Texoma! I left it in there for a few months. Otherwise.... best damn reel I’ve owned!
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 12:23 AM

Do it. BP let bygones be bygones & brought the line back for a reason - they sell.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 12:23 AM

Lews Rods and Reels thumb
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 12:44 AM

I’ve been a shimano guy for years, then they cheapened them a few years back and I swore to not buy them again. So this year I bought 9 various models of lews and the only one I’m not a fan of is the bb1. Only problem I see for any store is competing with places like tackle warehouse and their 20% off sales.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 12:56 AM

Lews = Meh......
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 01:39 AM

We have tried the Speed Spool LFS reels for lighter lures and have really enjoyed them. I rewarded myself by getting a Speed Spool Team Lite. It only weighs 5.6 ounces. I used it today for the 1st time but unfortunately I only caught one LNB.

Lews seems to be putting a good product out there.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 01:41 AM

What grout said.. I have 4 Team Pro magnesium. They are great reels and I would put them just below a Diawa Steez or Shimano Matanium. The quality is great. I do however buy them during TWs 15% or 20% Black Friday sales.
Posted By: boeing driver

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 01:54 AM

I have 6 of the pro series speed spool. bought them for the extra line capacity. list price was too high but bought on sale for about 50%. For that, they are a great value. Well designed, very smooth, easy casting adjustments.
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 02:03 AM

Best reel for the money in my opinion. Have a boat full of them.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 02:10 AM

Their baitcasters are good

Had issues with their mid/low end spinning reels
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 02:41 AM

Lews are awesome the 99$ LFS model is the best reel you can buy for under a 100
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Their bait casters are good

Had issues with their mid/low end spinning reels

That's the one thing I can't make myself try. I can't give up the pflueger presidents for spinning reels
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 03:59 AM

I throw a Carolina rig buzz bait on my Lews reels. Crazy smooth

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: JadensBasshole
I throw a Carolina rig buzz bait alamaba rig on my Lewis reels. Crazy smooth

We know...you’ve mentioned that before. roflmao
Posted By: BassMan5000

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 05:53 AM

Got some Academy Gift cards for xmas..invested in a couple MachII speed spools SLP's only thrown them in my pool but so far they seem to be of good quality and smooth reeling.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 06:43 PM

From a performance standpoint my Lews are about the same as any other reel I have. Looking at it from your perspective I would not hesitate to sell them. They have a following just like the Dobyns rods so I think they will sell for you. Honestly I don’t think there is a big difference between the major brands of rods and reels today but if there is a following for a brand you ride it as long as it lasts as a retailer.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Lews reels - 12/31/17 08:21 PM

Had a buddy that set up account with Lews thru a dist. and was selling on E bay but there was a bunch selling them on E Bay so cheap that it wasn't worth the effort.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lews reels - 01/01/18 01:48 AM

In the Lews line up I like the Super Duty, the BB1 and the BB1 pro the best. Mine are a couple of years old now so I haven't tested out any of the newer Lews reels, not anything new that has come out within the past 3 years.

Lews and Daiwa reels are my favorites but I also have Shimano, Garcia Revo, and 13 Fishing concept reels.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lews reels - 01/01/18 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: JadensBasshole
I throw a Carolina rig buzz bait on my Lews reels. Crazy smooth

That's fantastic.
Posted By: Kathy Bthomas

Re: Lews reels - 01/01/18 03:41 AM

My lews have been up to Canada laker and northern fishing and have caught numbers of lakers some up to 40″ northern up to 43″ (still looking for that 45″). Drag still working great and if I go this summer will have no difficulty taking them along.

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 05:39 AM

Best models to stock?
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 08:00 PM

Tournament pro or BB1's are the best for the money, really like the magnesiums but they are more. Want to try the new HperMag next
Posted By: ScottSecs

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 08:09 PM

Tournament Pros - BB1 Pro (great with braid), Team Lews Lite and Team Lews Pro Z and Super Dutys have all been awesome for me - great reels in a wide range of prices...
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 08:45 PM

I have broke every Lews I have owned except a supper Duty
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 08:49 PM

I've been using Lew's since the first BB1s, built by Shimano, hit this market in about 1976. My all-time favorite is the BB1NH.

I've used lots of other reels but Lew's are still my favorites.
Smooth, comfortable to the hand, well built to last and easy to cast with accuracy.

Think I'll stick with them.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.
Best models to stock?

The Tournament MB’s are fairly cheap, should sell decently and then there are some pretty expensive models. I won’t spend more than $200 anymore on a reel though. Maybe you can start a poll with the prices range that people are willing to spend.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 10:07 PM

I'm a Revo or Shimano guy mostly. My son started bought Lews when he began trying to get better quality equipment. I believe he bought 4, of various price levels. They didn't seem to hold up as well as my Revo's have.
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 10:23 PM

ditto on love my Lews
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Lews reels - 01/02/18 10:30 PM

I've used 7 Tournament MB's for three seasons now, fishing just about every weekend, and they have performed flawlessly so far. In my opinion, the MB performs on par with the RevoSX (but not necessarily better) in every category but drag strength at a slightly lower price.

I have a hard time throwing light lures with the standard BB1, but they chunk heavy lures extremely well. The BB1's are also three seasons old and they look and perform like new (they're also smoother than the MB's).

The two Tournament Pro spinning reels I have (I think they were discontinued right after I got them) are ok. I don't use spinning reels often so I don't have as much confidence in evaluating performance/value in them. But, for what it's worth, they're smooth out of the package and they're working like new after three years of light use. In short, meh.

My reels usually get cleaned and oiled twice a year.

Very happy overall with the three models of Lew's I've used.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Lews reels - 01/03/18 10:50 PM

Stock them, they will sale!

I have 14, and couldn't be more pleased.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Lews reels - 01/03/18 11:38 PM

I'm up to 5 Lew's now.... I will be transitioning to them as needed until all my outfits are updated.... performance, weight, cost....hard to beat
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Lews reels - 01/04/18 03:22 AM

I have 4 BB1 (three yr's old). Several KVD and the Lew's are smoother and cast longer. Really like them but... Looking at reels at Cabelas last week and the newer Lew's are lot's smaller ? And feel great in my hand. So yes I think they will sell !!!
Posted By: Lunker23

Re: Lews reels - 01/04/18 06:42 PM

The BB1 Pro Series was revised again just recently adding Eva foam grips and a few other tweaks but for the most part it’s a BB1, a workhorse. I use all BB1 Pro’s and Team Lew’s reels and have been very pleased by them. I looked into Shimano and the reel itself is a bigger profile versus the flat, compact bb1 Pro. My preference would be to carry an $80, $150, and $250+ reel in the Lew’s line because guys know the brand!
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: Lews reels - 01/05/18 01:49 AM

My dad was a Shimano guy for years. Now he's fishing the Lews. I've used them as well...smooth, cast good, and seem to hold up really well to heavy use.

Re: Lews reels - 01/05/18 01:57 AM

Looks like Tournament pros and BB1 pros for now would be good sellers. Throw in the new team Lews hyper mag as well for those who want the top of the line. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thanks All!
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Lews reels - 01/05/18 02:05 PM

You will not be disappointed! I wont even try another brand.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum