Texas Fishing Forum

Larger baits vs smaller baits debate

Posted By: craigfish

Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/25/17 11:30 PM

When targeting larger fish outside the spawn what is your opinion regarding using primarily larger lures? Our home lake is a highly pressured, gin clear, extremely tough lake. You have to just about use a folded $100 bill as a trailer to get a bite on a jig there. They just don’t eat it good. We’ve all heard Lg. baits = Lg. fish -but even on super tough water? My fishing partner and I have an ongoing debate: he is a large bait guy (Jigs, swimbaits, glide baits etc.) and I’m more of a finesse guy (4 inch worms, Ned rigs etc.). I always want to scale down and he always wants to scale up. His philosophy is obviously big baits get big bites not dink bites. My philosophy is I wanna give em an easy meal they can slurp up with little or no effort. Results haven’t really been that great either way on our lake – again outside of the spawn. Opinions?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 12:01 AM

Live Bait
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Live Bait

Big ones! roflmao
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 12:30 AM

I believe big baits catch bigger fish just not numbers. I also believe certain baits get bigger bites but i dont know anything , my boat only goes 30 mphs
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 12:33 AM

Panfish anglers rarely go out and avoid hooking up with a few bass, some of decent size. I have caught up to 4 lbs. bass on a #7 jig head hook and 2 lbs. braid.

The issue is if you are fishing anywhere near structure, they can wrap you up quickly. Spinning tackle isn't very conducive to over-powering fish so it can be problematic.

But, small baits work great. On the other hand, who hasn't seen a minnow-sized bass hanging off one of the 14" big swimbaits. Ha!

It goes both ways: big fish on small baits; small fish on big baits.

Brad
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: YAKaddict
I believe big baits catch bigger fish just not numbers. I also believe certain baits get bigger bites but i dont know anything , my boat only goes 30 mphs
you need a faster boat to catch bigger fish.

Haha.

Little baits/ big baits (within reason) catch all sizes. Of course a Huddleston isn't gonna catch too many small fish.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 01:27 AM

I have caught big fish from crappie jigs to 10XDs-12" baits, just have to fish the climates at hand.
Posted By: stitch

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 02:16 AM

I’ve caught my 2 biggest bass on a 1/4 oz spinner bait. I have caught good fish on big baits as well. I will continue to use both
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 02:26 AM

It is not the size of the bait within reason as mentioned. It is about getting on feeding fish and using a bait within reason that has all the things that Big Bass are looking for. Your parts are the key. The clearer the water the more important it is to get it all put together to make that bait as real as possible.
- Sight: Match everything form the size and species that they are feeding on to the colors they are feeding on. That can be anything from Bait fish of all kinds, Crayfish, small snakes and any other critter that comes off the bank which introduces some top water action.
- Sound: It must be putting out the right tune as it moves through the water. Sometimes that is subtle and sometimes it is loud.
- Vibration: It must have the right thump to bring them to the bait and that goes both ways also.
- Smell and Taste: I am big on scent and want the bait leaving a trail of scent. I want that scent to be as natural to what they are use to eating as possible. The three most natural are Minnow, Night Crawler and Crayfish. It absolutely comes into play with masking the human odor and gives you that extra second as they hold on longer.

Are these the little things that matter? No, they are the big things that sew up the deal.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 04:48 AM

I must know less than you - my boat tops out at about 25mph.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Marooned

Put racing stripes on your boat, that instantly adds 5 mphs
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 02:04 PM

High pressure + clear water = fish at night..... problem solved for targeting big bass since that's most likely when they are feeding
Posted By: stitch

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 02:17 PM

Something I was wondering on the scent, do minnows and shad smell the same? I’m just wondering because it seems like bass eat more shad than minnows. I’m not being a smart butt, I am genuinely wanting to know.
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 02:42 PM

2 of the last 3 Sharelunker size Bass ( between 13 and 14 lbs ) caught out of our local lake were caught on crappie jigs in January, watched someone in a little Pelican 1 man boat battle a giant right off the end of my dock, he caught on a Zebco 33 trolling for sandbass with a 2" yellow jig
and it's like yours Gin clear water most of the time
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 11:01 PM

hmmm

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 11:09 PM

that's definitely something we need to do more of. good advice.

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 11:09 PM

thanks for the input guys
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/26/17 11:19 PM

Live Bait

fish
` hooked
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
Live Bait

fish
` hooked

Live bait is certainly an option and a good one. State record was caught on live bait. If that doesn't work go to another lake, appears the fish in your lake are too smart.

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 01:42 AM

This why I think bigger baits work best certain times of the year. I caught this fish this evening, that's a big gizzard shad in her gullet. And yes I caught her on a "Big Bait"

Posted By: BThomas

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 01:44 AM

This why I think bigger baits work best certain times of the year. I caught this fish this evening, that's a big gizzard shad in her gullet. And yes I caught her on a "Big Bait"

Nice !!!!
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BThomas

Nice !!!!

Nice fish Doug. Did you catch it on a 32 oz. beer bottle. That things sporting a good beer gut. You was throwing the right thing (as Donald would say) because she wasn't hungry. cheers
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: stitch
Something I was wondering on the scent, do minnows and shad smell the same? I’m just wondering because it seems like bass eat more shad than minnows. I’m not being a smart butt, I am genuinely wanting to know.

Minnows that are usually fished with for bait are usually shiners, carp, or suckers. I think the reason bass eat more shad is 1 of 2 reason.1.)Shad are more abundant. 2.) Shad are more fragile. They are more suceptible to injury and mortality, especially do to abrupt temperature change (easier prey).
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 04:54 AM

two of my biggest bass , 12.4 lbs and 11.3 lbs were caught on 4.5" straight tail worm and 5" Senko .
Big baits are great if your matching the hatch .
Swim baits were invented for a reason . The California Dept of Fish and Game always stocked 11" and 12" rainbow trout in lots of lakes , the bass were basically " trained " to when the truck dumped it's load of trout and let the feast begin . Smart lure guys started hand making big swimbaits that looked just like Trout .
If you have big bait in your lake ( trout , bluegills , crappie , hitch etc..) , then match that if you can , if you don't have those in your lake , your wasting time using bigger baits .
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 01:38 PM

The legend Bill Murphy used mostly plastic worms "stitched" and only targeted big fish (8lb+).

He would use from 3 inch to 16 inch baits. Just depending on what they wanted that day.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 02:21 PM

Great fish Doug. Looks like a six pounder that is pushing Eight. thumb
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Marooned

Put racing stripes on your boat, that instantly adds 5 mphs

Don't worry - there are cheaper add ons that will increase your catching as much as adding speed.
Here are the add-ons and what they're worth from a speed perspective. In other words, adding all the following to a 30mph boat will increase your catch to equal someone with a 45mph boat.

Flat bill cap - 2 mph
3 - 5 fish finders (12" min) - 3 mph
Jersey - 4 mph
Two power poles - 6 mph
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 03:02 PM

I think a Go-Pro adds a little bit too (btw awesome fish Doug)
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/27/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: H2ODawg67
Originally Posted By: BThomas

Nice !!!!

Nice fish Doug. Did you catch it on a 32 oz. beer bottle. That things sporting a good beer gut. You was throwing the right thing (as Donald would say) because she wasn't hungry. cheers

I recognize the tree in the background. Nice fish.

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/28/17 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Great fish Doug. Looks like a six pounder that is pushing Eight. thumb

No idea on the weight, I forgot to put my scale back in the boat last week. . But she was fun on a jerk bait and 8 pound line.

I think she ate too much Christmas day laugh
Posted By: Jason Hillhouse

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 12/31/17 05:21 PM

😂😂😂
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 01/01/18 04:37 AM

I think bigger baits have more drawing power and sometimes followers....not necessarily more bites. Usually the "active" are smaller and inhale the smaller baits.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 01/01/18 01:52 PM

Because of the lake conditions you described I would make the same choice you did for day in and day out fishing. If you just want to target a big fish there I would throw a Huddleston swim bait and fish it very slow. Since the water is so clear, I would use a lot of natural looking colors and like someone already said, try to match what they are feeding on if you can find that out.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 01/01/18 10:14 PM

Well you must not be fishing out of a 75000.00 rig cause if you were it would be 4 to 8 lbers every time the line was wet
J D stir
Posted By: McBassman

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 01/04/18 02:27 AM

Do you have the option to do some night fishing? A lot of those fish may be solely nighttime feeders due to the immense amount of pressure it receives and the high visibility during daylight hours. I actually just read the new book by one of our fellow TFF members - Lunker Lore by Josh Alwine. He talks very specifically on the subject of highly pressured lakes and dedicates an entire chapter to the benefits of night fishing and how to go about doing it.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Larger baits vs smaller baits debate - 01/04/18 02:37 AM

Go big or go home. Unless you are home then you can go small. Both work. Just need to get around some feeding big fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum