Texas Fishing Forum

KT spoons

Posted By: Court

KT spoons - 12/25/17 01:12 AM

Does anybody know where to find anymore of these little gems? I heard the old German lady that poured these closed the business. If I would have known that, I would have bought 100 of them. If not, what is the next best jigging spoon, or what are you using?

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 01:17 AM

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/watermark/rs.php?path=WEJS-NSH-1.jpg
Anybody try these? War Eagle
Posted By: Steve PIII

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 04:50 AM

War Eagle is excellent, I use the 7/8th mostly. Nickel and cole slaw colors. It comes with a good hook and decent swivel.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Court
Does anybody know where to find anymore of these little gems? I heard the old German lady that poured these closed the business. If I would have known that, I would have bought 100 of them. If not, what is the next best jigging spoon, or what are you using?

I tried to contact her late last year when a vendor that I serve told me they were going out of business. That was one of the best lures for kids out there, and I didn't want it to get lost with the closure. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get in touch. Even after several calls and a few messages left.

I was fortunate to get a handful of the last ones that were produced. I decided to have a mold created from the originals and now have a replica of the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 oz versions. I've taken it to vendors and shown a handful of guides around the lake and they agreed that it's good. They'll be available at the Minnow Bucket after the first of the year and at the annual Fun N' Sun show January 12-14. I'll try to post pics when I can.

If you want a few, we've got a few made. Still a little ways from having enough inventory to post on my website.

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 08:09 AM

Alex, Frankie told me he had a guy in the process of making these again. Didn’t know that was you. Hope you duplicate the lousy / distressed foil finish the KT had. I would love to try a couple of your spoons out. Will Frankie be getting any at StarMart? I’m down after X-mas for a week. Merry Christmas Sir
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 06:16 PM

Alex, Frankie told me he had a guy in the process of making these again. Didn’t know that was you. Hope you duplicate the lousy / distressed foil finish the KT had. I would love to try a couple of your spoons out. Will Frankie be getting any at StarMart? I’m down after X-mas for a week. Merry Christmas Sir

I think the finish is a big reason why they work so well

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 07:18 PM

I ran all the colors by Tony before deciding on which ones to produce. We'll have some very close to the colors KT produced (silver, gold, silver/gold, and one of our own). Going to spend time with the family today, but will snap a few pics this week.

Personally, I think the shape is really good too. That spoon was shaped to match a threadfin better than anything else out there.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Re: KT spoons - 12/25/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

I think the finish is a big reason why they work so well

Doug I think your right on. The shape too is a great threadfin imitator. I haven't found another spoon I have as much confidence in. That lure taught me a lot about identifying fish that I marked, not to mention it is a great search bait. I hope Alex can bring it back close to what it was.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: KT spoons - 12/26/17 12:03 AM

I went to every tackle shop at Fork a couple months back looking for some more KT spoons, none to be found

Re: KT spoons - 12/26/17 01:53 AM

I went to every tackle shop at Fork a couple months back looking for some more KT spoons, none to be found

Pretty sure the last shipment came in at the end of last year. I was there when Tony opened the boxes and said he expected it to be the last ones. That's about the time I started making the calls.

All will be good again soon. I hope you guys will like mine as much as you did those. It's a challenge to make something exactly the same, but we're doing our best to put out a high quality product in the same price range and with similar or better results. I'm always open to suggestions and listen to you guys and am willing to make changes when it helps you guys.
Posted By: Senior59

Re: KT spoons - 12/26/17 10:23 PM

I need some !!
Posted By: 361V

Re: KT spoons - 12/26/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch

Pretty sure the last shipment came in at the end of last year. I was there when Tony opened the boxes and said he expected it to be the last ones. That's about the time I started making the calls.

All will be good again soon. I hope you guys will like mine as much as you did those. It's a challenge to make something exactly the same, but we're doing our best to put out a high quality product in the same price range and with similar or better results. I'm always open to suggestions and listen to you guys and am willing to make changes when it helps you guys.
Are you going to have some of your new jigs @ the Fun & Sun boat & tackle show?

Re: KT spoons - 12/27/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Are you going to have some of your new jigs @ the Fun & Sun boat & tackle show?

Definitely. $3.99 for the base models. $4.99 for the CWS (Cold/Clear Water Series). Those very well could sell out. I knew it was a good product early on. It doesn't hurt to have someone with Lance's experience in the design shop.

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 03:54 AM

As promised, here's the images of my new spoon. My photos never give them justice, but I'll have a few at the Fun N' Sun show January 12-14 and Tony will be getting his shipment at the Minnow Bucket and Frankie at Star Mart the same week as the show. My personal favorite from these is #3. My photo skills definitely don't give that one justice.

A little background on this process. I only deal with American manufacturers. The main tape manufacturer in the U.S. told me that they don't have the capability to make the KT pattern. So, long story short, I don't know where else it could have come from. I'm going to continue the search for options and hope that doesn't take me across the sea, but in the meantime these are the five colors I'll be offering. The 5th is a gold/silver combo with silver on one side, gold on the other.

Finally, I don't set the prices in stores. The KT was inexpensive, and I hope that this one ends up being affordable too. From a quick look at jigging spoons on TW, I believe these will be priced competitively lower in stores.

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 03:57 AM

That top one is a pretty good replica Alex thumb

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
That top one is a pretty good replica Alex thumb

Thank you. I'm going to figure out how to replicate that scale pattern. The very top one will be on the menu by the time they start gorging on the shad again in the fall.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 04:21 AM

Send me some Alex. We’ll put a distressed scale on it.

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 04:12 PM

Appreciate the offer, Carlos. I'll PM you and we can give it a try. Might be best if you can see the original in person at the show.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 06:51 PM

Ten4. See you then.
Posted By: Texasfishing11

Re: KT spoons - 12/30/17 11:55 PM

Ernie a Lake Fork Resort told me he was able to find the person who bought KT Spoons and he has a shipment coming in the first part of January.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: KT spoons - 12/31/17 12:18 AM

There's a place in Kenly, NC called Outdoor Accessories Unlimited that are advertising KT spoons. Don't know if it's the same but they look like it.

Re: KT spoons - 12/31/17 01:55 AM

Those look great Alex, now, can we delete this thread? I didn't know this little spoon had so many fans.

Re: KT spoons - 01/06/18 06:36 PM

Thanks Court.

Tony got his shipment this morning at the Minnow Bucket. They may not be on the shelves yet, but he knows where they are. He's usually there in the mornings.

Re: KT spoons - 01/06/18 11:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up Alex, I just got back in, I'll go by there in the morning, does he have plenty?
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: KT spoons - 01/06/18 11:11 PM

The body looks like the old Critter Getter.

Re: KT spoons - 01/07/18 04:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up Alex, I just got back in, I'll go by there in the morning, does he have plenty?

Between his and Frankie's shipments, they should be good for a bit. They have a good selection of colors to choose from. Hope you find the ones you're looking for.
Posted By: David Stidham

Re: KT spoons - 01/08/18 03:07 AM

The original KT spoons are still being produced. Tightlines premium fishing tackle is the distributor for them. They are in harker heights. Phone number is 254-690-3474. The son took the molds over, and be careful reproducing them, I believe they have patents on the models they sell
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum