Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 08:56 PM

Garbage
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 09:22 PM

Ok for crappie fishing.
Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 09:29 PM

Buddy uses them and absolutely loves them. Every time I pick up one of his rods I remember how dang light they are. Seem to be well made as well. If I didn't love my Dobyn's so much I probably would be using Duckett's
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 10:02 PM

I tried to like them, but not a fan of micro guides. Buy it from academy so u can exchange it out every time a guide breaks off.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 10:55 PM

They're white! That rules em out regardless.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 11:11 PM

They're fine rods; extremely light, great feel and great actions. Little more prone to breaking than some other brands.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/24/17 11:50 PM

I’ve broken almost $1000 worth of micro Magic’s.

Give me a Dobyns or Falcon any day instead....
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:03 AM

Chevy -- Ford
Blonde -- Redhead
Pepperoni -- Cheese
Football -- Baseball
Blonde -- Brunette
You get the idea ....... if you like them they are good
If you don't , then they are junk

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

roflmao

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

roflmao
Ah, c'mon.....you know it's true.

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

roflmao
Ah, c'mon.....you know it's true.

Yeah, I was looking at some yesterday at Academy. No visual appeal at all and they have a reputation of breaking. I'd just as soon have a $49 Berkley rod.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:51 AM

Had a Terex break about mid section on a hook set I won’t be using one again!!
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 01:36 AM

I have heard and read a ton negative reviews on these rods.

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 01:48 AM

...... Haters going to HATE ......
you'll hear a lot more negative reviews than positive because the guys that like them just won't say anything

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
...... Haters going to HATE ......
you'll hear a lot more negative reviews than positive because the guys that like them just won't say anything

Had two guys that like them and said something. Don't know that you would call that a good recommendation though. I don't really hate them, I just wouldn't buy any.
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 03:47 AM

i have one....but i like my dobyns more so it tends to stay at the house.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 04:27 AM

I have been using Duckett's for 5 years. I have never broken one on a hookset. I have had clients break a couple, but that was due to the way they landed their fish. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend them.
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 05:07 AM

I’ll be a positive review.... have two micro Magic’s. 7’ heavy with 25 lbs fluoro for jigs and 7’ medium heavy with 20 lbs fluoro for Texas rigs. One Terex. 7’ medium with 12 lbs fluoro for small-medium squarebills. One ghost xl, 7’ 3” with 20 lbs fluoro for Texas rigs as well. Love all four of them and have caught many, many fish. The micro Magic’s have lasted well and the 7” heavy is a GREAT close Flippin rod. Boat flipped many 5 lbs fish with this rod. The terex is very parabolic and works well for me throwing squarebills on it. Can cast strike king 1.5’s a miles. Can even throw jerkbaits if need be and have caught a 5 1/2 lber on it throwing a 6XD (wouldn’t suggest though). What I have to say about them altogether, all four have unmatched sensitivity, my uncle fishes with dobyns champion extremes and for me, I like my rods more. I didn’t say they’re better, I said like them more. Incredibly light, sensitive but eyes are weak on terex and ghosts, so I take good care of them. If you’re looking for a good pond hopping rod a micro magic med heavy would be good, if you’re looking to fish the elites, I don’t know about how long they could perform under a lot of use. Hope I helped

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: RudiTexas
I’ll be a positive review.... have two micro Magic’s. 7’ heavy with 25 lbs fluoro for jigs and 7’ medium heavy with 20 lbs fluoro for Texas rigs. One Terex. 7’ medium with 12 lbs fluoro for small-medium squarebills. One ghost xl, 7’ 3” with 20 lbs fluoro for Texas rigs as well. Love all four of them and have caught many, many fish. The micro Magic’s have lasted well and the 7” heavy is a GREAT close Flippin rod. Boat flipped many 5 lbs fish with this rod. The terex is very parabolic and works well for me throwing squarebills on it. Can cast strike king 1.5’s a miles. Can even throw jerkbaits if need be and have caught a 5 1/2 lber on it throwing a 6XD (wouldn’t suggest though). What I have to say about them altogether, all four have unmatched sensitivity, my uncle fishes with dobyns champion extremes and for me, I like my rods more. I didn’t say they’re better, I said like them more. Incredibly light, sensitive but eyes are weak on terex and ghosts, so I take good care of them. If you’re looking for a good pond hopping rod a micro magic med heavy would be good, if you’re looking to fish the elites, I don’t know about how long they could perform under a lot of use. Hope I helped

there ya go ...... what a great post. Positive & negatives aspects mentioned.

Personally, I would not use as my go-to rod. In that price range I am a St Croix Premier guy. My son is an avid Duckett guy though and really likes them. I recently got him a new Ghost off Amazon for $10 so he is real happy.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:30 PM

Personally, I would not use as my go-to rod. In that price range I am a St Croix Premier guy. My son is an avid Duckett guy though and really likes them. I recently got him a new Ghost off Amazon for $10 so he is real happy.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Ducketts, but at $10 I might become a Duckett guy.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 12:55 PM

I have three of them. 7-11 and a 7-6 crank bait rod, and a 6-9 worm rod and I like the action all three have, but I don't like the micro guides at all. There are a lot of other good rods out there in the same price range that don't have the micro guides, although I bought all of mine used.

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: FXfromTx

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Ducketts, but at $10 I might become a Duckett guy.

Amazon has them on sale at $79 ..... sign up for an Amazon Visa card and get $70 off next purchase = $9.00 + some fee = $10 and change
couldn't resist for $10
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 01:32 PM

I have a 7’ 6” medium heavy MMP and I couldn’t be happier with it. I also have several Dobyn’s rods. I really enjoy both. But I have to say, I use my Duckett mainly for flipping but since both of my c-rig rods are at the shop it is now serving as my c-rig rod and it loads, cast and feels great. I don’t have an issue with the guides or anything. Great rod for the price. You’re paying an extra $100 or more for the likeness in a Dobyns. Sure, better quality but I’ve had a Dobyns rod snap in half on a cast while I haven’t had one issue with the MMP.
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 02:02 PM

I have like 10 of them. I have broken plenty over the years but continue to buy them. I have only seen one situation where a rod broke without reason. Brand new rod snapped at the reel seat on probably the 10th cast. Tbh it was still my fault. i'm sure the rod was stepped on at some point.... Last year I pulled some giant fish (2 12+)out of the jungle with my xh micro magic. I know they will handle big fish. I love the way they look!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 03:41 PM

I love the rods and reels, I have a ton of them and have NEVER had an issue with them. I deal with Sean directly at Duckett and he takes care me.
Posted By: austinkillen

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 04:49 PM

I have two micro magics that ive had for nearly 4 years without any problems but I quit buying them once they quit making them in full cork handles. I have a friend that has broke about 20 of them so it goes both ways. I definitely prefer my dobyns champions any day though.
Posted By: craigfish

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 10:43 PM

Im with texasAUtiger. They are sensitive and very light. But I have broke so many in the last few year I just cant justify buying them anymore. And Im not talking slamming them in the rod locker door, just on hook sets or pulling hard. Just not worth the hassle, even with the Academy return policy. Never broke a Falcon ever - have only had 5 or 6 over the years but I cant remember ever breaking any of them, just saying.
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/25/17 10:45 PM

I have 4 Duckett rods with two of them being the White Ice versions. The guides on the micro-magics break off pretty easy in my opinion. The guides on The White Ice versions seem to hold up much better, although my insert on the rod tip came off. For the price they are ok, but not the most durable rod in my opinion. Also did break a Micro-Magic in half setting the hook.

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Lone Star Ranger
I have 4 Duckett rods with two of them being the White Ice versions. The guides on the micro-magics break off pretty easy in my opinion. The guides on The White Ice versions seem to hold up much better, although my insert on the rod tip came off. For the price they are ok, but not the most durable rod in my opinion. Also did break a Micro-Magic in half setting the hook.

So 4 out of 4 broke.....in some way.....but they are GOOD for the money?!

hammer
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 04:54 AM

Complete junk.

Had a brand new 7'0 MH.. Got hung up on a stump, yanked it back, rod broke in half. Took that POS back and got my $$$ back..

Waterloo rods for the win!!!

Castaway, Falcon, hell even All Star.. All much better rods
Posted By: BassKarma

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 05:43 PM

Made In China. Enough said
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 06:11 PM

I stay away from micro guides. The new Duckett rods feel nice though I have not fished them.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 07:37 PM

I don't know about the others but I have 12-13 Micros and never broken one on a fish but the box have claimed a couple of tips. I've gotten where I fish with them more than my NRXs.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Opinions on Duckett Rods? - 12/26/17 07:59 PM

i currently own about 15 of the mm and i have fished them exclusively the last 5 years or so and have broken about 3 of them. all were were my fault. duckett used to have the best warranty i had ever heard of. $15 for a replacement rod. i understand they have recently changed that policy so i just purchased my first gloomis rod and if i like it i will start replacing all my rods over time. only negative i can say about mm rods is that now after most of mine are over 5 yrs old the epoxy that helps hold the eyes to the blanks is starting to chip and degrade. but for $159 i think they hold their own in sensitively and they are super lightweight. i also like that their handles are a little longer than most others in their class.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum