Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in and around Salvinia

Posted By: Willie G

Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:18 PM

What are the baits and techniques you use to fish in and around Salvinia? Rayburn is beginning to be overtaking by Salvinia so it is either learn to fish it or learn to fish deep deep water.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:20 PM

flip it with a weight heavy enough for penetration IMHO or fish the edges
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:24 PM

"Christmas Punch"!

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:34 PM

I have tried the heavier weights,and had some success but I think I am missing fish when they feel the heavier weight.The edges do produce some fish but usually the edge is a a pretty good distance from the structure,seems like a catch 22. The MJ rig produces some fish but tends to get Salvinia clogged on the front,and I don't think the fish will chase a bait with Salvinia on it
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Willie G
I have tried the heavier weights,and had some success but I think I am missing fish when they feel the heavier weight.The edges do produce some fish but usually the edge is a a pretty good distance from the structure,seems like a catch 22. The MJ rig produces some fish but tends to get Salvinia clogged on the front,and I don't think the fish will chase a bait with Salvinia on it

Use a 2oz drop shot.

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/24/17 04:41 PM

I had not thought of a Drop shot
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 02:20 PM

What are the baits and techniques you use to fish in and around Salvinia? Rayburn is beginning to be overtaking by Salvinia so it is either learn to fish it or learn to fish deep deep water.

Or fish the other 100,000 acres where the tournaments are won.

I wouldn't exactly call it "being overtaken"

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 03:52 PM

According to sources, the water condition (oxygen levels) underneath the [censored] doesn't create a habitable space anyways. ....this is according to an article on the Bassmaster website.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 04:00 PM

Start by finding the creek and the ditches that run thru the salvinia. Peg a creature type bait of your choice on a 1 and a quarter oz tungsten with 65lb braid and if you are having trouble getting thru the grass, then pitch the bait up in the air and let it drop down thru the grass.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
According to sources, the water condition (oxygen levels) underneath the [censored] doesn't create a habitable space anyways. ....this is according to an article on the Bassmaster website.

I believe that to be true. Fished a championship tournament on Steinhagen ( aka Dam B ) and just about all lake above the bridge was covered in Salvinia. No one would fish it during the tournament. I tried pre-fishing it before the cutoff but the odor in and around it was awful. All the fish were caught below the bridge and the river.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 04:28 PM

I have caught them just fine out of salvinia at Caddo on multiple trips.

I'm just a fisherman though I am not a fisheries biologist. I heard same thing about it not holding fish but I have always caught some in and around it.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 04:53 PM

This works every time.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Or fish the other 100,000 acres where the tournaments are won.

I wouldn't exactly call it "being overtaken"

+1 Its going to be knocked back pretty good with this cold winter also. Far, far from being overtaken.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/25/17 10:23 PM

It’s usually good bout 2-3ft max inside the salvania line. Idc what people say but fish thrive in that [censored]. You just have to have it broke up in patches so it’s fishable. Absolutely smoke them on Caddo this past year fishing it! Schools of fish under it. Just have to narrow it down. Best baits was frogs and 2.5oz weight

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: mudd
It’s usually good bout 2-3ft max inside the salvania line. Idc what people say but fish thrive in that [censored]. You just have to have it broke up in patches so it’s fishable. Absolutely smoke them on Caddo this past year fishing it! Schools of fish under it. Just have to narrow it down. Best baits was frogs and 2.5oz weight
I've never fished it, but I definitely would try it if I saw it. The drop punch method works on the grass mats on Richland Chambers and the mats on Clark. I'd assume it would work on the effected lakes too.....if the fish are there.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 02:50 AM

A 3/4 ounce spinnerbait gets through it pretty good.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 02:49 PM

The bass over here in Louisiana must have not read that article.

Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 03:16 PM

Any floating vegetation can lead to anoxic conditions if they get dense enough. It's not just salvinia.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 10:12 PM

I've done pretty good down here this year but the key is if it's matted stay with in 5-6 ft anything over than that you lose your vertical approach.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Fishing in and around Salvinia - 12/26/17 10:41 PM

Punch Dat!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum