Texas Fishing Forum

Opinion on a boat

Posted By: LUguy08

Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 02:15 PM

Hi, I am looking to buy my first boat here in the next few months and was wondering if you all had any ideas/pointers on what I can do. I am looking to spend around 25k for a fully rigged boat. I know I won't find anything new for that, but I am looking for something that I can do a little bit of everything fishing wise in. Not opposed to a bass boat or other types as well, just not a fish and ski. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 02:36 PM

I have actually owned Bass Cat, Bullet and Ranger Bass boats and would own any one of them again. I also would own a Skeeter, Legend, Phoenix, Champion, Nitro or just about any of the boat brands. I prefer a 20 foot boat and if I was actually able right now to get one my wife would be pushing for the Ranger 520 which was her favorite because she felt the most stable especially when out with the grandkids.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 02:40 PM

Nitro isn’t going to get much love but if you want a newer boat, potentially still under warranty, with a few bells and whistles then Nitro is going to be your best bet. Something like a z18 (z7 previous model) or a z17 if you’re fine with a 17” boat. For the money Nitro makes a good quality boat.

Aluminum is another option. Cheaper, well built, but they do come with SOME limitations regarding fishability. If you’re a bank beater and like to stay in the creeks then aluminum would be the way to go. Ranger is arguably the best and Tracker makes a good one but it will save you a few G’s.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 02:43 PM

You're gonna get a lot of this, " buy the biggest and best you can afford". Not bad advice, the only thing I would add is get a 4 stroke specifically a Yamaha. Now it should be checked out, hours, compression, maintenance, etc., but they are by far the best outboard I have ever owned. Lots of nice boats listed on here and prefer them to Craigslist or Boat Trader. Good luck.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: LUguy08
Hi, I am looking to buy my first boat here in the next few months and was wondering if you all had any ideas/pointers on what I can do. I am looking to spend around 25k for a fully rigged boat. I know I won't find anything new for that, but I am looking for something that I can do a little bit of everything fishing wise in. Not opposed to a bass boat or other types as well, just not a fish and ski. Any opinions would be appreciated.

First boat to do a little bit if everything fishing wise in....hmmm...
Based on your request, I would recommend a preowned 20' fiberglass center console bay boat. You can do all kinds of fishing in these boats and also have lots of room for several people to fish or just boat ride. I see folks on Rayburn and Toledo in CC boats all the time bass fishing and also families joy riding in the summer. The ones I see are rigged with a trolling motor on the bow and normally a seat up front too...just like a bass boat.

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 03:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I have been looking at everything from fiberglass bass boats to the CC boats. I'm really just torn because of a few different things. I mainly bass fish out of my yak, but I do like chasing the crappie and sandies from time to time. I was thinking a CC for a long time but I waiver back and forth. There are pros and cons to each type of boat mentioned, so I was just looking to see what some of you have done.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 03:33 PM

BASSBOATCENTRAL.COM

Don'tbe afraid to travel for a deal.

Don't be afraid to look up north. People would rather sell than store for the winter.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River

Based on your request, I would recommend a preowned 20' fiberglass center console bay boat. You can do all kinds of fishing in these boats and also have lots of room for several people to fish or just boat ride. I see folks on Rayburn and Toledo in CC boats all the time bass fishing and also families joy riding in the summer. The ones I see are rigged with a trolling motor on the bow and normally a seat up front too...just like a bass boat.

Great alternative and you don't have to worry about getting the carpet and seats dirty, ok to store outside and they're normally deeper and take rough water better. My fishing buddy bought a 22' Skeeter CC with a Yamaha for $$$ than what he would have paid for a bass boat. Thing fishes great and we plowed through some 2-3 footers on PK and nary one of us got wet.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 04:49 PM

Sounds like you have little experience in boats because of the question not on a specific brand but you are open to any platform and that is not a bad thing but 25G is a lot to pay for something that you may not be happy with. I'd slow down and try to tag along with some people on different boats and see how they ride and fish. I like a bass boat and I like Champion because I stay dry and don't get beat to death in rough water but it doesn't fish as stable as a Ranger but for me that's a trade off that I am willing to make. Someone else might rather have a center console or even a pontoon for their own reasons. Only you will be able to decide what works for you.

Take into consideration everything that you want out of it. Do you what it to handle well in rough water, do you fish alone, with a partner or do you have kids, do you need storage for gear, what species are you primarily going after, will it be used for other activities like pulling a tube or skier on family outings, etc.? I think very few are happy with their first purchase because as they learn more they wish they had something that worked for them better.

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 05:07 PM

Thanks, and those are all things I have taken into consideration. It will mainly be used for bass fishing. I have though about a CC for a long time because it does seem like an all around good fishing machine. The downside is storage because I have fished out of a lot of them and there isn't a lot of storage. I am originally from the east coast and did a lot of inland waterway fishing for flounder and such, so I was in a Carolina Skiff a lot. Amazing boats and one of the best all around CC boats in my opinion, but I don't get down to the coast here as much so I wouldn't get a one dimensional boat just because of that. I haven't really fished much off of bass boats so that is where I am weary on those. From my research I would probably like Champion/Ranger/BassCat if that was the case, but those can get pretty expensive. So, here I am again, not really sure on what I want. Multiple boats would be the solution, but I am by no means a millionaire lol
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 05:08 PM

Lots of good used boats in the $25k range. Just take your time and really look at each boat, and you'll find a great deal.
Posted By: phrito

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 05:15 PM

Good luck on this, I think we would all agree every man needs about 3 different boats! I agree with you on the fish and ski, turns out they are not good for fishing OR skiing... I've had a pontoon, then an xpress aluminum, a Tahoe fish and ski and for a while now have had a 18' center console, which turns out to be best for me. If you only fish by yourself or with 1 person then a bass style is going to give you the best setup for fishing. For me, I fish often with 3 or 4 people which is why the cc works best. There are some limitations in that rod and tackle storage on many cc's is lacking. I added some rod holders to the inside walls and that has helped. Since I have the boat for it I've also taken it down to Galveston a few times and fished the bay and that is a lot of fun. I think you'll also find that center console boats with comparable length will be much cheaper than bass boats, partly because they are more "stripped down" but also a 115 4 stroke or even a 90 Optimax is plenty. Just for reference, and I'm gonna get killed for the Tracker ownership, I traveled to Dallas to pick up my 2010 Mako 18LTS for about $16k. I then had some money to add a better graph and trolling motor and still be under budget. Make sure whatever you do get it checked out, anyone selling a boat should understand that. If they balk at that, then they know there is a problem. If you're not shy I'd go to the ramp at your local lake and see who is interested in showing off their boat and letting you look at them. If someone asked me I'd be happy to show them what I've done to mine. Good luck!
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/22/17 09:27 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/23/17 03:23 PM

Sounds like you are looking for a multi-species boat. I fish from a Tracker Pro Guide V175 walk through. My wife fishes with me often and the boat is much more comfortable for her than a bass boat or a CC would be. I only wish for a pure bass boat when I am fishing power baits shallow. The boat has lots of storage, I keep anywhere from 12 to sometimes 20 rods in the boat and am able to on conceal them all in boxes. During the warmer months I am able to remove the left console in less than 10 minutes giving me enough front deck for two people who are paying attention to each other to fish from. It is less than a 10 minute task to reinstall when the weather becomes cold enough to make runs uncomfortable.

The driving rationale behind buying Tracker was the available of a reputable tracker dealer here in Central Texas. Several manufacturers make great aluminum deep v boats with similar features. They are available used if you are willing to be patient and watch the classifieds online.

After 3 seasons there have been no issues with either the hull or the Merc 115 four stroke other than needing a new trim unit at the end of the first summer which was covered by warranty.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/23/17 03:34 PM

My first boat was (and is) a 2012 Stratos 189 VLO. It still had warranty left when I bought it in 2014 and it fits in my garage. I paid 21K for it. I've fished huge lakes on it (Kissimmee, Falcon, Amistad) to include some very rough water and it has been incredible. Rides smooth and gets up and goes with its 150 Yamaha. Stratos boats aren't that popular on this forum but if you get the chance to take a look at one that's just a couple years old I'd give it a shot. Might save you on some maintenance costs versus an older Ranger or Skeeter.

Good luck!
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/23/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River

Both above are good points. Only right answer is what fits you and your needs at this point and time in life. I always ask, which boat will I use the most when considering all the variables that life throws at you. One buddy has a wakeboard boat, one has a CC. CC gets used 10x's more than the wakeboard boat.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/23/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Nitro isn’t going to get much love but if you want a newer boat, potentially still under warranty, with a few bells and whistles then Nitro is going to be your best bet. Something like a z18 (z7 previous model) or a z17 if you’re fine with a 17” boat. For the money Nitro makes a good quality boat.

Aluminum is another option. Cheaper, well built, but they do come with SOME limitations regarding fishability. If you’re a bank beater and like to stay in the creeks then aluminum would be the way to go. Ranger is arguably the best and Tracker makes a good one but it will save you a few G’s.

He is right nitro are a good boat at a good price owned one as well. Their isn’t really a bad boat made now just by what you can afford go fish. I have a rt 188 aluminum now I love it.
J D popcorn
Posted By: Stikslinger

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/24/17 02:35 PM

I bought my first boat 2 years ago. I did not listen to all my buddies and I learned a few very valuable things.
First buy 20’ or 21’ boat. I bought a 19’ boat and it is just to small. It will handle any water i want to fish you just have to go slower than the big boats. If you have more than two people in the boat it’s really crowded. If doing again I would by a clean 3 year old boat with good warrenty left. Per my local marine dealer boats do most of their depreciation in the first 3 years. Drive it and get the one you want. For me a boat is a boat. It’s the TM, Electronics and the Storage/compartments that are more important. You can’t go wrong with any newer boat. Nitro is a solid cheaper boat for a reason. They fish great just don’t have all the fancy. My next boat will be a 921 Phoenix or a 521 Ranger. Bass Boat Central has tons of good boats listed for sale.
Good luck
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Opinion on a boat - 12/24/17 04:11 PM

A 21' bass boat is going to have a better ride because of the length. Different boat brands have deck layouts and front deck with. The wider decks allow an angler more room to have multiple rods on the deck and still have plenty of room to move around without stepping on them. I would avoid the Yamaha sho as way to many have fuel get into the crankcase oil. The mercury optimax is very fuel efficient, the pro xs is the same motor. Several really good brands out there but if I was going to buy a new one it would be a Legend V20.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/04/18 04:49 AM

Im going to agree with others, 20' or longer is a must. CC is a good option. Take it for a test ride. Get the compression checked..
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/04/18 03:05 PM

Get what you want, I would not worry about Brand or what motor, They are all good. Warranty could be a factor if your looking at the 17-19 foot range.... you may be able to get a boat with warranty.

Its hard for anyone to tell you what is right for you.

Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/04/18 08:41 PM

There"s two in the metroplex that's close too you. Craiglist # 6442526403,6439923147 Good Luck
Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/04/18 08:58 PM

Z22 nascar commanche series
well maintained, single power pole Lowrance 12, retails at 29,230 low book at 28,135
Need so sell now 27,995
to see pics or to see the boat, call Charles at the boat center in flint, 903 825 2293
Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/05/18 01:45 AM

Stay with Ranger,Skeeter, Bass cat, Champion, legend if you can find and only Merc and Yam motors. You can buy sell trade no prob anytime.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Opinion on a boat - 01/05/18 02:47 AM

you might want to consider your tow vehicle too, a 20 to 22 foot boat is a pain to pull. all the opinions about bigger is better are just that, opinions. my 19' champion will ride smoother than any ranger in a steady chop, when the water gets really rough both rides will suffer, but i stay drier.

if you dont have real boat experience spend some of your money and go fishing with guides on half day trips and experience different boats. if consider a center console, look at bay boat companies not bass boat companies that put a CC top cap on a bass boat hull.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum